In the process of joining RNR (New to this Site)

Discussion in 'Royal Naval Reserve (RNR)' started by UKScorpion, May 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good evening,

I have just joined this forum, and am in the early stages of joining the RNR. I am 24 years old, and have just been looking at the PJFT. I see it says that you need to run 1.5 miles on a treadmill in under 11mins 13 seconds. I just wondered does anyone have any advice on what speed setting I should set the treadmill at? Ideally I am aiming to do it in 10mins, but my treadmill works in KMH and I am not sure which speed to use.

Also I see on the website it says there will be press-ups, sit-ups, shuttle runs and a swimming test. Does anyone have any advice on these, what is required ect?

Thank you,
  2. If you can attain all the above!!! You will be the only matelot in the RNR that can!!! :clap: :grin:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Use your noggin

You need to pass the PJFT before being interviewed then having security clearance and then your official membership.

You don't need to worry about press ups, sit-ups, shuttle runs and swimming until you approach your date for Raleigh/ BRNC. But aim to keep your fitness high though, the RNR won't help you get fit. The PJFT is important so you can attend the quiz nights.
  4. Although that reply was really useful, i will answer the question as well. For 10 minutes the treadmill in theory would need to be at 14.4, but as it can take a moment to get up to speed it might be worth whacking it up to 14.6 or something just to be on the safe side. 13.4 should get you in at just over 11 minutes (11 mins 11 secs i think?) but again remember to take into account it wont get up to speed instantly.

The person conducting the pjft should let you know the minimum speed required, then it is up to you to set it at what you want :)
  5. That has to be the first time I have ever heard of adjustment of .2 KPH being referred to as "whacking it up" =D, will the human heart handle such a sudden change of pace?

MOD's not this is not crayoning, it is a health and safety issue.
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I meant 'whacking it up' as starting it higher rather then when running, it was just a colourful adjective. I will change my sentence to 'prior to commencing the test consider starting at least .2 faster than the minimum required for your target time. This should account for the time it takes for the treadmill to reach your desired speed' if that makes it more pallatable for your fussy taste buds.

OP: do you have your test booked yet?
  7. No need to change it, I'm not fussing about it just truly tickled by the thought of whacking it up by .2 KPH, and of course desperate to avoid PJFT candidates hearts popping. :grin:

I shall consider myself scolded.
  8. Haha you say this but it is a genuine concern, the lady taking mine did check several times that i would be able to handle having the machine .2 above what i originally planned to have it on- they must know something we dont know about this elusive .2 and pjft candidates :D
  9. Little bit of advice...

When training for the PJFT, stick the treadmill on speed 15. This gets it done in under ten minutes. You don't necessarily have to do this for the test, but if you can do it on 15, then anything else will be a breeze.

Worked for me anyway.

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
  10. Also put an incline of around 1.5 on it.
  11. As it happens I had a go on a treadmill last night for the very first time ever. Just for a laugh I decided to bang in a mile and a half to see how I'd do.

I started off at about 13kmh slowly ramping it up every 2 or 3 mins. By the time I was finished I was doing 18kmh and felt like I could've easily banged out a bit more.

Anyway I finished in just over 10 mins. I reckon in a test I could easily smash 9.30.

it seems a **** load easier on a treadmill than outdoors for some reason.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. On a treadmill you are just bouncing up and down.
    It is a different type of running. I am short and fat and so hate running outside. But as you said can pass without too much problem on a treadmill.
    A treadmill is also much more forgiving on the knees etc..
  13. Forgot about this thread.

A month to the day and I've shaved over a minute off my last time.

I bang in a 9 minute mile and a half now.
    • Like Like x 1