In service degrees?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Rampant_Rabbit, Jun 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm just finishing up my BA and should be going to BRNC in September. Although I'm greatly looking forward to it, and am massively keen for the navy, I'm still sad to have finished my studies and wonder how in-service degrees work. I see that the commissioning course and IWOC between them are worth 240 credits for non-graduates (equivalent to an FdSc). Can graduates sign up for this too? And under the scheme it seems you can take up to 30 days per year to study to complete a BSc. Does the navy look negatively on taking study time?

Also, are there any opportunities for an in-service master's or doctorate?

Apologies if the answers to these questions are already on here. I've had a look around, but especially since information quickly becomes out-of-date with respect to the RN, I wondered if anyone has any recent experience?
  2. Do you want to be a Naval Officer and all that it entails, or are you just a "badge collector" who should probably remain in academia? You decide.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I resent the label, "badge collector", but are you suggesting that it is not possible to be a full Naval Officer and complete further academic work? Clearly the RN comes first, but I've always enjoyed academics and if possible would like to continue studying as part of my professional development.
  4. Uh huh, yup that's what I did! Tell you what........join the job first, see if you like it and then see if any of the rest of that shit matters. I must say you certainly come across as a real 'leader of men'! Cock end!! :0)
  5. I had forgotten what prize bellends some people on here are. Frankly, I couldn't care less if you think I'm cut out for the RN or not based on a few lines of internet text. That's for me to find out in due course.
  6. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Depending on which branches you are in and how you are employed in service degrees (BSc up to Phd) are on offer. The RMCS Shrivenham offers some quite interesting degrees and MSc courses which you are normally loaded on for a specific appointment or career path though this tends to be mainly for engineer officers I do know war fairies that have done it although why I was never really sure. I'm on MSc number 2 thanks to MoD and I've used both and I start the part-time MBA in Jan but thats off my own back but MoD supported as I will migrate from a technical career to a broader management career. So, the opportunities exist, currently.

Its interesting I speak with industry daily and their observation is that the service offered degrees are a waste of paper, created to help recruit/retain but offer nothing in comparison with real academia.
  7. Touché cock end! I freely admit to being a bellend. Good luck with the matelot sense of humour though.........
  8. wave_dodger

9. wave_dodger

Matelot humour isn't the same as ignorant internet trolling. If you want to gob off the NAAFI forum is for that.
  10. Rampant R, This isn't about in Service degrees but it might interest you. There are schemes called the Standard Learning Credits and Enhanced Learning Credits schemes, which can be used to fund courses at different levels. A friend of mine has used his to do courses which enabled him to do a PGCE once he left and he is now a teacher.

Look at these:

The Royal Navy, the OU and you | Career development defence community: The Open University

The Marine Society - Royal Navy

Enhanced Learning for the Armed Forces

11. Pusser sponsors a variety of postgraduate courses each year. Most of these are branch specific (ie: GDL for Logistics types en route to Barrister, various MSCs for engineers). There are also a number of slots for postgraduate courses of any description- I believe 3 per year are offered, although they must be markedly different from those offered at Shrivenham to qualify. Not sure on the sketch with doctorates, but recall that a number of part time PHDs may be funded, subject to the demands of one's day job.

If you are going to be a Warfare Officer, the problem is likely to be in balancing your training as an OOW with academic courses- you need to gain sufficient hours for the award of your STCW, which is in turn likely to entail significant time at sea. If you can find a worthy postgraduate qualification which does not depend upon access to a library of any description or attendance at any sort of regular lectures, then I see no problem, otherwise you will need to get qualified and provide some return on training before pusser lets you off for postgraduate study.

Not to be all doom and gloom, but I don't know of any Junior Warfare Officers who have managed to successfully combine postgraduate study with their job (although this is as much attributable to my not being in the loop as there not being any), although I am sure that some will have managed. Whether they will have done so without compromising their 'day job' is another matter entirely, and not one upon which I can offer any judgment.

In summary, probably a question best asked some time after you have passed professional training. Good luck in any case.
  12. As delightful as it is to have you represent the Crown when visiting foreign ports, or perhaps working at the sharp end of military intelligence it might be an idea to allow people with intellectual vigour to represent the United Kingdom.

Stick to running about killing people mate, but don't knock those who aspire to defend our country at a Strategic level one day.

You cúnt.
  13. You used two separate insults that both finish in "end". This shows a distinct lack of both intelligence and flair.

It's actually very easy to turn poor insults into better ones, both cock and bell can be used in tandem with almost any word for better comedic effect and to stop you coming across as an Olympic Bellfrond.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Your MoD sponsored MA in Insultology was not wasted.

More seriously for the OP, as well as the opportunities already mentioned there is the opportunity to do an MA in parallel with the Advanced Command and Staff Course. You'll have been in a while by that time and it isn't everyone who gets selected.

All this is assuming that a) you are the right stuff and b) there is a Navy left by the time you've been in long enough. The barrister / Law Degree bit, I believe it isn't just for Logs these days.

There is nothing wrong with mapping out a dream career. I was aiming for the stars but had to revise downwards some time ago. There are some brains the size of planets in the Service and mine is the size of a lesser asteroid by comparison. If you are a switched on cookie, it'll be recognised. Talent spotting and talent management is something the Service usually does well. If your career stops firing, it's because you aren't as clever as you think you are.

MOD cap on: Hunky Munkey, play nice or fcuk off.
  15. I realise it seems presumptuous to be thinking about this sort of thing before I've even set foot in BRNC, and that my aspirations may or may not be possible. I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I'm a future admiral for whom all doors must be wide open. That said, it's helpful at least to have some idea of what's possible, so thank you all for the helpful pointers.