In relation to "translating" Royal Marine Service records

Thanks again for your learned help regarding my previous question in relation to the Royal Marines Police. As it turned out, one of my aunts happens to be in possession of my relatives papers anyway, and is kindly sending me copies.

On another note, I am struggling with his service records. Some of it is clear, but I am finding it difficult when I come across entries such as the following:

Division/Ship................Dates..........................Cause..........Officer

Portsmouth..................1Jan1907-6May'07........Embarked....J.G.Smyth
Barfleur (Latona)..........7May1907-14May'07
Royal Arthur (Latona)... 15May1907-13Aug'07
(Latona)...................... 14Aug1907-31Dec'07
ditto.............................1Jan1908-20Feb'08......Pembroke
Pembroke.....................21Feb1908-31May'08...Latona
Latona..........................1June1908-27July'09.......................A.Farrington
Portsmouth...................28July1909-13Sept'09..Embarked
Egmont.........................14Sep1909-23Sept'11.....................J.L.Doubble

My question is - why is the Latona in brackets, with another ship mentioned? Was he in the Barfleur or the Latona?

Also - he was based in the Medittaranean fleet for a lot of his career, at Malta. Pembroke could either be the base at Chatham, or the Pembroke Barracks at Malta?

Kind regards,

Rob.

Re: In relation to "translating" Royal Marine Service record

Latona was an old Cruiser built 1890
She was based in Kingstown doing base ship depot ship duties in 1907
I think your man was lent to Barfleur and Royal Arthur and was on the books of Latona

Latona became a mine layer so began doing sea time 1908 onwards
Pembroke was Chatham Barracks or Depot was probably there for training - then back to Latona as a sea going ship for six months then
sent to Portsmouth possibly for pre overseas training and Leave.
Then joined Egmont in Malta and stayed two years.
Egmont was a base ship
Hope it helps

G :fish: