In Real Life

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
phil1972 said:
When I am not in the RNR, I would as an Operations Manager for an IT Company. What does everyone else do when not in the RNR?
Chartered Safety Engineer (while in the UK) in automotive/rail/defence arenas before heading out to Canada where I'm now a Dept Manager looking after Safety & Environmental Assessment for a nuclear laboratory (Chalk River) comprising 14 nuclear facilities (including 4 reactors).

FlagWagger said:
phil1972 said:
When I am not in the RNR, I would as an Operations Manager for an IT Company. What does everyone else do when not in the RNR?
Chartered Safety Engineer (while in the UK) in automotive/rail/defence arenas before heading out to Canada where I'm now a Dept Manager looking after Safety & Environmental Assessment for a nuclear laboratory (Chalk River) comprising 14 nuclear facilities (including 4 reactors).
Thats where the CRUD came from.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Maxi_77 said:
FlagWagger said:
phil1972 said:
Apocryphally, according to Wikipedia, however I've just finished reading a book about the development of the Chalk River Labs, written by "one who was there" that makes this claim too (and names the person who coined it) in relation to a deposit seen on the cladding of fuel rods in the NRX reactor (apparently the CRUD was later identified as rust).

While the term CRUD may (or may not) have originated here, the area is amazing in terms of natural beauty and space and CRUD certainly can't be used to descibe the locality.

FlagWagger said:
Maxi_77 said:
FlagWagger said:
phil1972 said:
Apocryphally, according to Wikipedia, however I've just finished reading a book about the development of the Chalk River Labs, written by "one who was there" that makes this claim too (and names the person who coined it) in relation to a deposit seen on the cladding of fuel rods in the NRX reactor (apparently the CRUD was later identified as rust).

While the term CRUD may (or may not) have originated here, the area is amazing in terms of natural beauty and space and CRUD certainly can't be used to descibe the locality.
Chalk River Unidentified Deposit (CRUD) a term that came from early nuclear experimentation, just as SCRAM was supposedly coined from a notice beside the emergency shut down devicce on Fermi's first reactor which indicated that in case of trouble the shaut down should be started and then one should 'scram'.

No one ever bothered to tell us the original CrRUD was rust perhaps as by the time I did my training it was the generic term for the solid matter that materialised in any water cooled reactor's coolant.

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
phil1972 said:
Test Team Leader (alegedly) in a large IT company. Looking to leave though, so offers over £35,000 please.

Latest Threads