Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Real Life

When I am not in the RNR, I would as an Operations Manager for an IT Company. What does everyone else do when not in the RNR?

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
phil1972 said:
When I am not in the RNR, I would as an Operations Manager for an IT Company. What does everyone else do when not in the RNR?

Chartered Safety Engineer (while in the UK) in automotive/rail/defence arenas before heading out to Canada where I'm now a Dept Manager looking after Safety & Environmental Assessment for a nuclear laboratory (Chalk River) comprising 14 nuclear facilities (including 4 reactors).

FlagWagger said:
phil1972 said:

Chartered Safety Engineer (while in the UK) in automotive/rail/defence arenas before heading out to Canada where I'm now a Dept Manager looking after Safety & Environmental Assessment for a nuclear laboratory (Chalk River) comprising 14 nuclear facilities (including 4 reactors).

Thats where the CRUD came from.

FlagWagger

GCM
Book Reviewer
Maxi_77 said:
FlagWagger said:
phil1972 said:

Apocryphally, according to Wikipedia, however I've just finished reading a book about the development of the Chalk River Labs, written by "one who was there" that makes this claim too (and names the person who coined it) in relation to a deposit seen on the cladding of fuel rods in the NRX reactor (apparently the CRUD was later identified as rust).

While the term CRUD may (or may not) have originated here, the area is amazing in terms of natural beauty and space and CRUD certainly can't be used to descibe the locality.

FlagWagger said:
Maxi_77 said:
FlagWagger said:
phil1972 said:

Apocryphally, according to Wikipedia, however I've just finished reading a book about the development of the Chalk River Labs, written by "one who was there" that makes this claim too (and names the person who coined it) in relation to a deposit seen on the cladding of fuel rods in the NRX reactor (apparently the CRUD was later identified as rust).

While the term CRUD may (or may not) have originated here, the area is amazing in terms of natural beauty and space and CRUD certainly can't be used to descibe the locality.

Chalk River Unidentified Deposit (CRUD) a term that came from early nuclear experimentation, just as SCRAM was supposedly coined from a notice beside the emergency shut down devicce on Fermi's first reactor which indicated that in case of trouble the shaut down should be started and then one should 'scram'.

No one ever bothered to tell us the original CrRUD was rust perhaps as by the time I did my training it was the generic term for the solid matter that materialised in any water cooled reactor's coolant.

beer_bosun

Lantern Swinger
phil1972 said:

Test Team Leader (alegedly) in a large IT company. Looking to leave though, so offers over £35,000 please.

F.T.D

Midshipman
I knew it buster after years of denial :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm busy wrestling with mentalists again :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
soleil Mail: "Real-Life 'Rocket Man' Wearing A Jet Pack Launches From ... HMS Queen Elizabeth" The Fleet 8
Bad CO Real Life Getting In the Way Site Issues 82
soleil Helensburgh Advertiser: "Real-Life Comic Book Heroes Mark Submarine Service's Birthday At Faslane Dinner" Submariners 0
MoD_RSS New coastal emergency 999 stickers could prove a real lifesaver MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Real milestones in £5.2 million environment improvements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Highways England traffic officers prove a real role 'model' for 10-year-old Toby MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice: Real Madrid CF vs Manchester City FC MoD News 0
MoD_RSS E-seminar: Real-time PCR for food authenticity including horse DNA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pushing for real implementation of women in the peace and security agenda MoD News 0
MoD_RSS No-deal is a very real prospect. We must ensure we are ready: article by Michael Gove MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wages overtake inflation for 16th month in a row – fastest real terms growth since 2015 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Experts to drive “real change” in support of teachers’ wellbeing MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp The last surviving REAL Great Escape Survivor finally passes away History 0
Ageing_Gracefully Real Big Boats Diamond Lil's 4
MoD_RSS Press release: Lord Ahmad and Carey Mulligan: “International community must work together to ensure that children in conflict zones have a real chance MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: DASA Real-World Incident Hackathon MoD News 0
LateToTheParty Super fast application process... it's now very real Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
MoD_RSS News story: Real-time interactive query language MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Security Minister: What is real is reasonable MoD News 0
Seaweed A REAL sea story .. The Book Club 1
MoD_RSS News story: Identifying cyber insider threats in real time MoD News 0
Guns Junior Officers and real secondary duties The Fleet 1
MrIndeed How similar is the royal navy entrance test example to the real thing? (Also need Help) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 17
chrismonc87 Always go to Parties in Torpoint...... this is real i kid you not Diamond Lil's 2
BillyNoMates Get yourself a real take-away. The Quarterdeck 0
soleil Mail: "A Real Maverick! Norwegian F16 Fighter Pilot Poses For A Selfie" The Fleet Air Arm 6
D James B has real mental issues. The Gash Barge 11
Ageing_Gracefully Competition ; The REAL Great Escape Competitions 8
2_deck_dash Real Ale Random Name Generator. Diamond Lil's 17
Ballistic Real Ale Festival Diamond Lil's 4
stan_the_man best best real man movies ever Diamond Lil's 43
R The Real Red Sailor Role Model The Book Club 9
Waspie A REAL SAR cab over Portland. The Fleet Air Arm 8
soleil Defence Management: "'The Carrier Debacle Is Clouding Real Maritime Security Issues" The Fleet 2
soleil Navy News: "Men Of 45 Commando See 'Real Cause For Optimism' In Helmand" The Corps 0
S Real Player Bloody Computers 6
soleil Scotsman: "Transport Minister Under Fire - For Real" The Corps 4
golden_rivet THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT TUITION FEES - your thoughts please Current Affairs 197
soleil Mail: "Terror, not war, is our real priority" Current Affairs 18
soleil Telegraph: "Real Test Will Come When The Next Shock Arrives" Current Affairs 15
2_deck_dash Turns out the real World is pretty shite after all. Diamond Lil's 21
H MPs' Not Real Medals (Merged Outrage Bus Trips) Current Affairs 28
sgtpepperband Think of a real person or character... The Internet - Best and Worst 12
Blackrat Tramps. The Real Vermin? Diamond Lil's 17
Clown_Puncher Be prepared: The real threat. Diamond Lil's 48
daffy1 **** Rambo, these guys are the real deal. Diamond Lil's 5
R Real Madrid? Sports and Adventure Training 25
W real newbie (medic) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
trehorn THE REAL FIELD GUN COMPETITION Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 3
A Starting to sound like a real Navy!! The Gash Barge 4