In need of serious help!

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by SWS Fag, May 7, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the username says I'm a SWS fag on SSBN'S, currently served 8.5 years and I'm a LH. I like serving in the RN as a WE but absolutely hate SWS, the job, the on crew cycles, the petty behaviour and great expectations of the unrealistic FOST Evolutions have left me feeling stuck in a rut, i get absolutely no job satisfaction and its got to the point where I don't even want to get out of bed in the morning.

Enough with the dripping. Does anyone know a way how I can get a draft to something a bit more interesting? Foreign drafts, attach to another unit in the tri services, even Afghan?

The trouble with SWS is that the whole community is seriously undermanned from LH upto CAPTAIN, Gen dit. So getting clearence to go to a NON SWS Billet is as rare as rocking horse shit. The only way I've been told to get out is going SF or leaving to Civvy street.

Ive grit my teeth for as long as i can bare It's got to the point where it's seriously making me go wibble. What are your guys thoughts (apart from man up)? I want some advice before I make a tit of myself infront of the management or make some enemies along the way!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Maybe worth extracting a digit and going for promotion for a more "hands-on" job or going Hunter Killers ....or horror of horrors, General Service if you can take the pay drop. Op Samson perhaps?

3. Don't get me wrong promotion is not far away (18 months) promotion in this branch is quick due to the lack of supervisors. Plus promotion will make the job less hands on, more admin work. I'm also doing a s/r job already due to de enrichment.

I wanted ssn's to begin with TWS, but drafties computer said no. Plus now I know ssn's deploy for 3 times longer than a bomber it doesn't interest me

Misses doesn't like the sound of general service

How would I go about op Sampson? I look at din's all the time and never seen it on there

4. Bump. Anyone else now of any drafts?

5. Thanks SJRM RN. Is that on last pay chit, I ain't got it yet.

6. Can someone explain to an "oldie" what the hell is an SWS?

7. Strategic weapon system. Aka trident missiles, formerly Polaris

8. Ta! now I sort of understand.

9. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

If you are a serving sailor and serious, ask your XO.

10. Typing Samson or HUMINT into the DIN search will turn it up. Be thankful that isn't test number one. If your branch is as short manned as you say though they won't release you for it anyway as it isn't SF.

11. That's probably the biggest hurdle for me. I had my notice in last year for about seven month, that's how much I hate it but I had oppos and family talk me out of it, my boss promised he would try and get me a transfer but that amounted to nothing because I'm SWS. I don't want to leave, I just want the chance to do something more exciting, the main reason I joined up. I've got skimmer mates who got drafted to chicsands to work as a maintainer and deploy to Iraq and afghan to work along side task forces and I know people who have done other similar things. Right now I would cut my left nut off for a chance at something like that.

12. Seadog

SWS Fag wrote

That would be a mistake. Some of the excitement you seek requires balls, large, 2 of.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Put your underpants on your head and stick two pencils up your nose. They'll think you're crazy and
    send you to Afghan; true dit.

14. Well good job I've got 3 bigguns, thanks to all that radiation!

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seadog

SWS Fag wrote
    I am forming the impression of someone unhappy with their lot because bombers don't furnish a sack full of dits to impress the ladies or win bar bragging cock fights with his skimmer mates.

16. Unfortunately that doesn't work, you just get p7r wibble and booted out. Seen a few lads do similar. However they did get a nice pay out and medical pension

17. If it's war you want and service life you like, why not bang out and go green / brown?

18. What your trade seadog? I've got my fair share of dits, done jollies, trapped all sorts, I just want to feel like I've achieved something after a duty rather than wished the last 24 hours of my life away. My job is mind numbing you need to experience it to understand, I can't put it in words really.

19. I can assure you that unless you're teeth arms and own a time machine, no job in Afghanistan is going to bring you the adventure you seem to seek.

That ship has sailed and even if it was still 2008, you'd be getting just as bored doing 12 hour watches at KAF or BSN.

20. I was going to join the marines/army. But I was influenced by some old SSN ratings who spun dits from times of old, when it was good.