In Memoriam

L/Cpl Webb, 24, from Wythenshawe, Greater Manchester, was injured in an attack by insurgents in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand Province on Monday 25th March he was flown to hospital but died later.

RIP.

Last edited:
Former Royal Marine Dave Gooding (53) passed away on 22 March. I knew him at Chicksands about ten years ago when he was a Sergeant - not sure what rank he left as, but met him again early this year when he was very unwell and have seen him several times since. A splendid chap with the sort of sense of humour we are all familiar with - gave me shedloads of grief despite his condition the other month! Details on the Plymouth Herald website or PM me anyone who knew him and would like to know any more details.

Sleep well Dave - it was a pleasure and an honour knowing you.

The 4th Lord St Levan - Telegraph
i wonder if St. Levans Gate at HMNB Devonport was named after one of his ancestors, interesting read including service on minesweepers
Apparently so; the gate was named after the approach road. Interesting history here:
North Prospect History Project said:
1919 Addison Housing Act. Plymouth told to clear 19 insanitary areas of slum housing which comprised 1017 houses and 9865 people. In the same year after some considerable discussion Lord St Levan agreed to sell Plymouth City Council land for a new housing estate on Swilly estate land. These houses were built just after World War I and were indeed built as “Houses for heroes to come home to” ie ex servicemen and families with unsatisfactory housing BUT primarily to clear the slum areas of the Plymouth, Stonehouse and Devonport.

1921 The first sod was turned by the Prince of Wales to start the building of the Swilly Estate. This estate was planned as the first Garden Suburb for Plymouth...

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must announce that 3 soldiers from The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland, were killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday 30 April.

Cpl Savage and Fusilier Flint, 21, were both from The Royal Highland Fusiliers, 2nd Battalion The Royal Regiment Of Scotland (2 Scots), and Pte Hetherington, 25, was from 51st Highland, 7th Battalion The Royal Regiment Of Scotland (7 Scots).

https://www.gov.uk/government/fatal...al-regiment-of-scotland-killed-in-afghanistan

RIP

Last edited:
Rear-Admiral Sir Morgan Charles Morgan-Giles, DSO, OBE, GM, DL

Rear-Admiral Sir Morgan Morgan-Giles - Telegraph

He of the famous Morgan-Giles Yacht building/racing family.

When the HMS Belfast Trust was established its chairman was Rear-Admiral Sir Morgan Morgan-Giles (then an outspoken Cons. MP for Winchester) who had been her Captain January 1961 to July 1962.

(IIRC as she returned to the UK from the FES some Chinee Laundry staff were caught with a large drug haul hidden in the ventilation trunking.)

See also Wiki which gives a little more detail of him and his career:

Morgan Morgan-Giles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quite an outspoken and 'un-reformed character' - Both in the RN and at Westminster in the pre-PC era.

RIP Sir.

A World War II naval commander who led a campaign for recognition of veterans of the Arctic Convoys has died aged 93.
Cdr Eddie Grenfell, from Portsmouth, served on four of the treacherous convoys, which supplied the USSR.
He received an Arctic Star medal in March after the UK government eventually agreed to the award following a campaign he had led.
Second Sea Lord Vice-Admiral David Steel paid tribute to Cdr Grenfell's "amazing fortitude".

RIP.

Lance Corporal James Brynin of the Intelligence Corps, attached to 14th Signal Regiment (Electronic Warfare), was killed in action in Helmand province, Afghanistan, on Tuesday 15 October 2013.

RIP.

Warrant Officer Class 2 Ian Fisher from 3rd Battalion The Mercian Regiment was killed after his vehicle was subjected to a vehicle-borne suicide attack in Helmand province, Afghanistan, on 5 November 2013.

RIP.

Not a serviceman but many Portland rates will know the chap. Barry from the Greasy Spoon just outside the dock yard gates has passed away.

John Thorner posted this on FB last night!

It is with great sadness that I have to report that Barry Lawley the man behind the counter of The Famous Greasy Spoon Castletown Portland passed away yesterday Friday February 7th after along illness.

Update;

The Funeral Service for the late Barry Lawley will take place at Wyke Church Weymouth at 12 30 on Tuesday 18 th March. Followed by a private cremation. Family Flowers only please

Last edited:
Mechanicinan 1st Class Alan Smith ex 120 MQC Course, died tragically on his first run ashore in Bridgetown, Barbados on 31st October 1971. I wish him to be remembered on this thread.
R.I.P Alan, god rest your soul.
Your friend, Dick C.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

Mechanicinan 2nd Class Alan Smith ex 120 MQC Course, died tragically on his first run ashore in Bridgetown, Barbados on 31st October 1971. I wish him to be remembered on this thread.
R.I.P Alan, god rest your soul.
Your friend, Dick C.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J The Fleet Air Arm 5
finknottle The Quarterdeck 5
Bergen The Corps 14