In Memoriam

finknottle

Banned
Sergeant Lee Paul Davidson, The Light Dragoons, deployed with a Police Advisory Team was on patrol with the Afghan Uniform Police when the Ridgback in which he was travelling struck an improvised explosive device and he was killed on Sunday, 9 September 2012 in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province, Afghanistan.

RIP.

finknottle

Banned
Lance Corporal Duane Groom from 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards was killed on 14 September 2012 when the vehicle in which he was travelling struck an Improvised Explosive Device in the Nahr-e Saraj district.

RIP.

finknottle

Banned
Sergeant Gareth Thursby and Private Thomas Wroe, both of 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment (Duke of Wellington's) (3 YORKS) were shot and fatally wounded by a rogue Afghan Local Policeman in Checkpoint Tora in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province on Saturday, 15 September 2012.

RIP.

finknottle

Banned
Sergeant Jonathan Eric Kups, of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) died in Camp Bastion, Helmand Province, Southern Afghanistan on Friday 21 September 2012.

RIP.

finknottle

Banned
Captain James Anthony Townley from the Corps of Royal Engineers died in Camp Bastion, on Friday 21 September 2012, from wounds sustained whilst serving at Forward Operating Base Shawqat.

RIP.

finknottle

Banned
Captain Carl Manley of the Royal Marines died in Afghanistan on Monday, 24 September 2012 from what are believed to be natural causes.

RIP.

Hydra_Joe

Badgeman
There has been a story on the the local news since 28th September about a man who was crushed to death at Sidlesham near Chichester when a tractor carrying bales of hay toppled over on to his car passing in the opposite direction. He was not named. Imagine my shock when I read the story in todays Portsmouth paper, The News, that I knew him well and indeed we went to the same school in Dublin - The Hibernian Marine School in Clontarf. He was a great Irish Musician and as well as the group named in the paper he used to play in an Irish Folk group in Portsmouth called "Cleary's Clock".

Mick served most of his RN Career in Submarines. We had many a "Session" in the Portsmouth Irish Club on music nights on a Friday in the late 80's early 90's when there were many Irish muscians in the city.

RIP Mick me old friend, sorry I missed your funeral, I didn't know:-

‘Mick was a man you met once and never forgot’ - Local - Portsmouth News

finknottle

Banned
Lieutenant Edward Drummond-Baxter and Lance Corporal Siddhanta Kunwar from 1st Battalion The Royal Gurkha Rifles were shot and killed by a man wearing Afghan Police uniform at a checkpoint in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province on Tuesday 30 October 2012.

RIP

finknottle

Banned
Captain Walter Reid Barrie from The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (1 SCOTS) was shot and killed in an 'insider attack' at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Shawqat in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand Province on Sunday 11 November 2012.

RIP.

trehorn

War Hero
Ladies and gents,

We were informed today of the death of our friend and colleague Petty Officer (AEM) Ed Curtis who died last night.

Ed had only recently left the regular navy and joined us at CERES DIVISION (RNR) in Leeds where he took over the instruction of the New Entry class. He also mobilised in support of Op Olympics earlier this year.

It feels a little strange writing this on here because I didn't have the chance to get to know Ed that well due to the short time that he was with us. What I do know is that he was a very likable character with a friendly and helpful personality. He also took to his new role in the RNR with a professionalism which i'm sure he employed during his many years in the Fleet Air Arm - to such a degree where he was spotted on his own rehearsing the lessons he would be giving to his new class.

Our thoughts are with his family at this difficult time.

finknottle

Banned
A British soldier 23-year-old Sapper Richard Walker, a member of 28 Engineer Regiment, attached to 21 Engineer Regiment, was shot and killed on Monday 8th January at Hazrat patrol base, in the troubled Nahr-e Saraj district of Afghanistan.

RIP.

RomanyRanner

Lantern Swinger
Captain Walter Reid Barrie from The Royal Scots Borderers, 1st Battalion The Royal Regiment of Scotland (1 SCOTS) was shot and killed in an 'insider attack' at Forward Operating Base (FOB) Shawqat in the Nad-e Ali district of Helmand Province on Sunday 11 November 2012.

RIP.
Always depressing to hear these details. RIP Sir.

Last edited by a moderator:

finknottle

Banned
David Robert Shaw, from 1st Battalion The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment, died in the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham on January 16 from wounds sustained in Afghanistan.

RIP

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J The Fleet Air Arm 5
finknottle The Quarterdeck 5
Bergen The Corps 14