Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In car Satnav systems.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I've got a pair of Tom Toms that were used for my previous vehicles,
and it's a simple affair to apply updates to them via the Internet, but
how do you get updated information on to built-in versions? I'm
assuming that the vehicle(s) have to be taken back to the dealers
for any sort of updating.
I switched on the Ford Focus Titanium built-in version on the way
to work this afternoon, and by the time I had left what one would
consider to be "normal roads" - the Satnav didn't have a fu**ing
clue where it was! Screen was littered with nothing but big white
dots. I shall make my own enquiries after the Bank Holiday
weekend, but if any of you have info on this.......I'd appreciate it.

Cheers maties,

Billy.

G

guestm

As long as you've bought a semi decent car: You can update it either by USB stick, connecting to your phone vie bluetooth or replacing the micro SD.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
In most cars you need access to the OBD port with some kind of scantool to apply updates. Older cars use the CD or DVD ROM to get the files, newer ones the modem (phone or 4G LTE), Bluetooth connection, USB or SD/SDMicro. FiatChrysler had the whizzo idea of connecting the ents to the other OBD devices allowing the car to email the dealership for service, allow remote start via app, door locking, camera views etc. The unfortunate unintended consequence was you can turn on the ABS connected via BT, even if the car is driving down the road, as demonstrated by a white hat hacker. This prompted FiatJeep etc, to issue an update on a USB stick, mailing them out to customers. So there's a gaping security hole, since if you have access to the ECUs like that, you could program keys, steal the car etc. Companies like Delphi (maker of OEM car systems) are hiring like mad to try to fix this since it will involve mega recalls, but to put it in perspective, its not like the Takata airbag recall.

Long and short of it, if you buy used, and the satnag is well out of date, buy a scoshe mount for your phone or tablet and use google maps for free, download areas to the phone/tablet and you're good to go even if you're offline. Google will sync from your laptop so you can browse around on a bigger screen, then send routes to your phone. Some of the cars adopting android will also work with this.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
Searched the vehicle and I've found the SD card that the navigation system runs on.
It was hiding right at the back of the centre-line stowage compartment. Maybe if
I take it out and whack it in the appropriate slot on one of my laptops and then
have a dig around whilst on my wi-fi I'll find some settings to play about with.
If I break it - I'll just take it back and ask nicely for another one.
Will report back.

B.N.M.

BillyNoMates

War Hero
I think you download it to the SD card and update that way. However when I did it it cost me £50. Would have been cheaper to keep the wife but she shouted instructions and rolled her eyes. I also think she suspected I was having a "Thing" with the voice. :cool:

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/travel-map/

Edit...add info

I don't do paying money for stuff. That's what the internet is for. Getting it for nowt.
The second it asks for credit card numbers I'm outa there.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
Searched the vehicle and I've found the SD card that the navigation system runs on.
It was hiding right at the back of the centre-line stowage compartment. Maybe if
I take it out and whack it in the appropriate slot on one of my laptops and then
have a dig around whilst on my wi-fi I'll find some settings to play about with.
Will report back.

B.N.M.
Billy, save a copy of the SD before buggering about with it. You will likely only need a micro to SD adapter if you have an SD card slot on the lappy. If the files are binaries (.bin or similar) you will need bit more gen than you are batting with.
Theres probably an option on the front panel to update it with a card from the stealer, I find it simpler to find a PDF of the manual and search it than flipping through the paper things.

BillyNoMates

War Hero

Ships_Cat

War Hero
I don't do paying money for stuff. That's what the internet is for. Getting it for nowt.
The second it asks for credit card numbers I'm outa there.
On the one hand, you thieving git. On the other, totally with you. Fk itunes. Iway robbery more like. Hence my suggestion for Google maps. Sure, they read all your emails and keep GPS files on the searches you make, and use your metadata for traffic info. But its free.

Most of the internet is with you too. Chromebooks FTW.

Ships_Cat

War Hero
Billy, save a copy of the SD before buggering about with it. You will likely only need a micro to SD adapter if you have an SD card slot on the lappy. If the files are binaries (.bin or similar) you will need bit more gen than you are batting with.
Theres probably an option on the front panel to update it with a card from the stealer, I find it simpler to find a PDF of the manual and search it than flipping through the paper things.
Found it....
https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync...uch/navigation/understanding-the-sd-card.html

Not sure how new yours is but this was the 2014 one

Taztiff

War Hero
Will report back.

B.N.M.
And then it will just show certain ladies with no clothes on and who cares about the bloody maps....

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Salary Sacrifice Scheme - Buying a car? Motoring 3
MoD_RSS Chigwell car dealer banned after breaching finance agreements MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Denton door supervisor saves friend’s brother in car park stabbing MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crackdown on private car parking firms will eliminate unfair fines MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flower power to help car journeys this bank holiday MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Car parking investment companies shut down in court MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Philippines travel during coronavirus (COVID-19): local car rentals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Second-hand car dealers banned for 14 years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to provide free car parking for NHS and social care staff MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Illegal Somerset car dismantler to pay £400,000 MoD News 0
soleil EDP: "Top Gear Hosts Second Car-Versus-Fighter-Jet Challenge" The Fleet Air Arm 12
MoD_RSS Recovered appeal: land at former car parks, Tesco Store, Conington Road, Lewisham, London (ref: 3205926 - 22 January 2020) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New parking code could give motorists 10-minute grace period in private car parks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New ‘league table’ reveals electric car charging availability across UK as Transport Secretary calls on local authorities to do more MoD News 0
MoD_RSS South East car mechanic banned for trading while insolvent MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government doubles funding for on-street electric car charging MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Electric car chargepoints to be installed in all future homes in world first MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Investment in quantum as researchers use sensing to see inside electric car battery MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Demonstration road gifted to rugby club for car parking MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Green light for investment in electric car battery development MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Driving the future of the car industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Porsche is the number one prestige car brand clamped last year by DVLA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: CMA leads Europe-wide action on car hire MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Aberdeen car dealer banned for seven years MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Collision between a car and tram, Sheffield MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Signs help to identify flood risk car parks MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Government funded electric car chargepoints to be smart by July 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Bristol car thief’s sentence ‘unduly lenient’ MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Car hire company director picks up seven-year ban for failing to keep records MoD News 0
Waspie Car tax evasion risen. Motoring 30
jesse No thank you officer,I do not wish to sit in your car. Diamond Lil's 6
explodingcookie Motorcycle? Car? Train? Motoring 9
Sgt Jobsearch Car Sales Executive - Fakenham - £13,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Car Sales Executive - Northampton - £13,000 + commission, OTE £40,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch UK Project Engineer - Birmingham - Circa £27,000 + company car + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Military Car Sales Executive - Gateshead - £15,000 basic, £30,000 OTE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Military Car Sales Executive - Internet Sales - Gateshead - OTE £30,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
L What to do with car insurance while deployed Motoring 5
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Enigneer - UK - £31,100 Company car + Overtime The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Field Sales Engineer - Salisbury - £30,000 (Company Car + Bonus) The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Maintenance Manager - Durham - £32,000 per annum + Car Allowance The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
Sgt Jobsearch Field Service Manager - Milton Keynes - £35,000 + company car + benefits The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
MG Maniac Car Transporter on its side in the Solent Current Affairs 6
Stirlin Keyless car thefts. Motoring 0
Sgt Jobsearch Technical Health & Safety Manager - North Yorkshire - £Competitive + Car Allowance The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
A Car damaged on base Finance & Pensions 25
Sgt Jobsearch National Transport Manager - West Yorkshire - £30K - £35K + Car Allowance The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
DemobJob Car Transporter Driver - Birmingham - £27,000 The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 0
D Car insurance Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
SONAR-BENDER Blackrat's car? Diamond Lil's 8