In anger

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by plumduff, Sep 30, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know the last time a Royal Navy vessel fired its guns in anger?
  2. Probably 21 March 2003 during the invasion of the Al Faw Peninsula, Iraq by 40 Cdo, Royal Marines. See video here.
  3. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

I can remember a gunnery shoot on HMS Carron back in 1988 when the recoil from the Bofors firing brought down the deckhead panelling onto the head of the Leading Chef who had been having a nice quiet dump - his reaction transcended anger and the whole guns crew were left hungry for the rest of the day. Does that count?
  4. P.S. Note that the PWO controlling the shoot is a Lt Cdr.
  5. It certainly does.
    HMS Carron firing her guns in anger ( So far as the hooky chef was concerned)
    But has a British warship fired her guns in anger?
    Certainly not in the last 30 years.
  6. Even if what you say is true, the same applied during the long period of the 'Pax Brittanica'. HMS Warrior, for example, never fired a shot in anger. But had the Government(s) of the day decided to use that as a pretext for gutting the Royal Navy, WWI would have been even more difficult for the RN than it actually was. It is the nature of military force - especially naval power - that it will lie dormant for long periods between being needed. But if you drop out of the game completely during one of these periods, you cannot realistically expect to recover at short notice when major war does come. Something that seems to have escaped our present Government (and you, it seems).
  7. Why doesn't HMS Marlborough, as seen in the video firing her 4.5" gun against Iraqi positions, count as a British warship? Or is it a trick question because she only has a single mount?
  8. Maybe not anger but several ships have fired warning shots in the last year with Miniguns. Does tht mean a little annoyed?
  9. NG You are being ignored my good chap because you dispel the myth that "current norm" is attempting to pervade.

Personally I don't know why you bother replying to him/her/whatever.
  10. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

Your question was answered in the last thread you asked it in Norman.

No NGS in the Falklands War then? Glad that one has been cleared up. Norman, stick to what you know and that clearly doesn't include the Royal Navy in the last fifty years.

Have you been banned since you learned how to include avatars or will this time be the first?
  11. What's an avatar/
  12. From the style and content of his postings I truly believe that plumduff is indeed Norman.
    However it has yet to be confirmed by the Mods who have access to the information required to check this.
    So Mods is Uptheduff Norman? :pukel:
  13. Sadly no Uptheduff is an imposter pretending to be Norman
    avoid at all costs.
  14. Who's Norman? Is it a movable title? Whom decides who becomes Norman?
  15. Back in 82 when I was Gun Controller I was fcuking angry (and fcuking scared) when I fired my 4.5" Mk 8.
  16. Aye.
  17. Slim the POREL(AIR)s new Hercule Poirot :thumright:Or as Holmes would say Elementary my dear Watson :salut: :worship: