Important Newbie Info

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Blackrat, Feb 1, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Dear Newbies,

Welcome to Rum Ration. This is an unofficial site in relation to the Royal Navy and Royal Marines. If you are looking to join either, this site may assist. Remember, any advice should be checked at your local AFCO. On this site are two chaps who work at an AFCO (Ninja_Stoker & Supermario) and one serving Naval Doctor (Angry Doc). They are more than willing to assist you but please, THINK BEFORE YOU POST. An example of a good first post is listed below;

Pay careful attention to the bold bits. This site has a search function. Think of what you want to ask and type your question into this function. Chances are, someone has already asked it so Bob's your mothers brother.

Here is now an example of a BAD first post;

A post like that will just spurn a thread of abuse. Think before you ask.

I don't usually lurk here so you are safe, unless a really bone question is asked. If you want a hammering, pop over to Diamond Lil's. There are plenty of people there who will grant your wish.

If the above is too difficult to understand, piss off and join the RAF.

Good luck with your chosen careers.

• Like Like x 4
  2. OMM

OMM War Hero

Is that second post Gen?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

3. Yes. Somebody chose Thrusting_Cockstand as a user name.

• Like Like x 6

4. ******* classic. Love it Guzzler. Always there to help the mongs. BZ

• Like Like x 1
  5. To be honest I thought maybe I'd been a little hasty, we have after all had a cúnt on here. We've had many in fact, but only one with the accent.

6. Blackrat, reading through the thread it would appear that redmist has followed your advice to the letter.

7. OMM

OMM War Hero

It's pretty ******* believable to be honest.

8. Blackrat

Guzzler is one of the few posters on this site that actually makes me laugh out loud. His reply above certainly did.

**** still lives. He lurks but is busy abusing people over on ARRSE. Worry not good people, he will return.

9. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I like the mongs in newbies, they brighten my day.

Some helpful slang for our potential Hornblowers:

Pongo - A member of the British army derived from the saying "Were ever the army goes, the pong goes with it"

Matelot - a member of the Royal Navy.

Bootneck - Booty/Royal, a member of the Royal Marines, derived from the days of sail when marine guards on ships would wear the boot tongue around their necks to stop pesky matelots slitting their throats.

Crab - Crabfat, a member of the RAF, derived from the fact it is a politer term to use than "******* useless piece of shit masquerading as a serviceman"

• Like Like x 2
  10. I've always been a bit interested on this stuf (note 'a bit') and have a couple of different angles.

The 'pongo' explanation has usually been accepted as gospel, but I read a letter in the Torygraph many, many years ago written by some retired Admiral or summat and he said that the term evolved in the 19th century and was based on an African tribe known as the Pongo and they were 'of low intelligence and dubious personal hygiene' or words to that effect.

Pretty certain 'matelot' is derived from French.

Crabfat apparently comes from the distant days of the formation of the RFC. The uniforms they were issued were in that peculiar blue which the RAF still wear and apparently it was the same colour as 'blue unction' a paste applied to the pubic region to get rid of lice - affectionately known as 'crab fat'.

It's not because they march sideways because they don't.

There you go.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  11. Agree with the matelot and crab explanations Guzz, I've heard the crab one before, as for pongoes..the smell bit seems relevant IMHO.

12. Blackrat

We're called Pongos because it's an acronymn of "Steely eyed doers of death who resemble Adonis".

Gen.

13. wet_blobby

I have just looked up the word "Matelot" in my french dictionary and it means "Bothersome oik with a big chip and a small penis" So, there maybe some truth to the rumour it is derived from the French word. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. wet_blobby

Nah, it's because you're smelly *****.

15. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

That was a bit harsh, I better delete it in the fluffy fuffly new world.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  16. Then there was US. And we were the hardest of the hard.
    The stiffest of the stiff. I haven't had a wash since June 17th
    1974. And I've had the same set of socks'n'nicks on for 38 years.
    HOOOOO RAHHHHHHH!!

[​IMG]

17. Good news .

18. Could this be made a sticky? it may prevent patronising 'I am so clever I know all there is to know about the RN and do not even need any Pt 1 or 2 training. I should be sent to my first ship as a Killick'

19. it was explained to me that 'Bootneck' came from the practice of sewing the tongue of your boot into the collar of your No1 tunic to stop the fabric wearing away the skin on your neck (Blobbs will know what i mean by the high collar on the No 1's).

that might concur/tally with the USMC being called 'leathernecks' or otherwise the US Navy were also queuing up to slit the necks of their Marines too!

dont why why Jack would want to do that to us? Probably because are all essence and Jack is just jealous!

20. Blackrat

Bumped for anyone tempted to ask a bone question.