Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importance of sleep.

The one who knows me better than me and who travels through all the time zones always keeps to UK time, no matter which part of the woods they are in.
Everyone has a different way of coping with it, to a greater or lesser degree of success.
There seems a modern preoccupation with sleep, to me at least. These days every airline is anxious that the regular traveler have a 'lie flat' bed (what other kind is there? except in a doss house). Yet, solid sleep comes fitfully to a great many people, making it in my eyes something of an oddity.
Travellers by air just a few years ago did not expect this, something has occured, they calmly accepted that a decent meal service should last 2 hours or more. And, were prepared to sleep semi upright.
ps Note the Fanny Craddock style roast chicken.

The differnce with the military sleep pattern and civvy is. You do not have the tawt next door taking out his lawnmower when you hit the pit an hour ago. Or Jehova and his gang of retards banging on the door to inform you they have a message from God for you. Yeh got one for you **** ***.
Three hours sleep is plenty. Sleep when you can if you can. Best sleep I ever had was in the bottom of a pit we had just dug being on the move for over 26hrs also having guarded the yard the night before.

Backpacker1uk said:
The differnce with the military sleep pattern and civvy is. You do not have the tawt next door taking out his lawnmower when you hit the pit an hour ago. Or Jehova and his gang of retards banging on the door to inform you they have a message from God for you. Yeh got one for you **** ***.
Three hours sleep is plenty. Sleep when you can if you can. Best sleep I ever had was in the bottom of a pit we had just dug being on the move for over 26hrs also having guarded the yard the night before.

Some of the best kips Ive had have been on top of the cargo in Hercs, Sleeping bag out, ear duffs on (great big hangover).

Different people have different needs. When I was young, many years ago, I could get by on 4 hours a night. Now I suffer from severe insomnia and have had to work part time (1200-1800) to compensate as I was suffering from idiopathic migraines for over 2 years. Their aetiology turned out to be lack of sleep.

Each of us have different ways of getting ourselves to fall asleep, and what works for one person here may not work for you, something I learned at St.Thomas's Sleep Clinic. You should however try to avoid eating at least a few hours before sleeping (although some of us sleep better after eating :roll: ) and avoid things that may interrupt your sleep, by removing TVs etc from your bedroom. Under the circumstances I suggest getting yourself some noise cancelling headphones, eye shades to blackout the light and vigourous use of your special sock just before you need to fall asleep. I understand the latter always seems to make men sleep, though it may be a myth. :biggrin:

stirling2

Banned
Any mess on 3 deck of county class had seaslugs trundling back and forth ad naus in the missile lane above.3Q stokers had the added luxury of the after 6/8 air conditioning compressors running below the mess and everyone slept soundly, it was only when these were silent that peeps had trouble sleeping.

malspal

Lantern Swinger
A hot cup of cocoa, slab of cheese, slab of chocolate and a banana taken after a bottle of red. Works a treat and some of the deams are great :D
WE have a doc here that won't prescribe sleeping pills for ladies, tells them to eat a 250 gram bar of dark chocolate. Seems the digestive system draws on extra blood which lowers the blood pressure causing drowsiness. Bananas work the same as do most foods.
We live equidistant from two major towns that have Maccas and kentucky fried. Drivers have a meal hit the road and then get drowsy, we pick them up after they have fallen asleep and left the road.

Nanna naps are good if you have the time to spare :wink:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Consensus statement emphasises importance of COVID-19-secure workplaces MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New film shows importance of ventilation to reduce spread of COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS TheCityUK speech: Liz Truss highlights importance of digital, data and services trade MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Polling indicates growing public understanding about importance of using health and care data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of listening to children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of having a lawyer for a parole review - CEO blog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of fair elections, security and humanitarian assistance in Somalia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of disclosure in the climate emergency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of vaccines – why the Global Vaccine Summit 2020 matters: 26 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emphasising the importance of justice for victims in South Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emphasising the importance of delivering principled humanitarian action to those who need it most MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of UNOCA in preventing and resolving conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of Israel and Palestine living in peace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of effective transitions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of youth participation in addressing the world’s most pressing challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eleven drowning deaths hit home - the importance of lifejackets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Science Minister hails the importance of humanities to society MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK Government Minister reiterates importance of Oil and Gas sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The importance of soil in a changing climate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Education Secretary sets out the importance of testing in primary school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Intellectual Property Minister speaks of the importance of ensuring UK IP remains some of the best in the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary stresses importance of democratic values MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and ASEAN agree importance of future relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The importance of the sanctions regime in Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: World Soil Day marks importance of healthy farmed environment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces Minister reaffirms importance of Gibraltar to UK defence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary highlights importance of partnering with charities during visit to military recovery centre MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon hails importance of UK's defence network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Importance of addressing sexual exploitation and abuse in peacekeeping MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Reflecting on the importance of defence work at Porton Down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Injured soldier speaks about importance of Covenant support MoD News 0
soleil T'Graph: "The Importance Of Maintaining A Strong Royal Navy Presence In The Gulf" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil RN Website: "First Sea Lord Stresses Importance Of The Navy And Sea In National Life" Current Affairs 0
soleil Strangelove: "On Libya, Aircraft Carriers, And The Importance Of Marketing" Current Affairs 1
UckersUfcukers The importance of Aircraft Carriers in the fleet Diamond Lil's 8
T The Importance of a Second Opinion...... Diamond Lil's 0
MoD_RSS Sleep disorder drug modafinil linked to increased risk of birth defects and also to reduced effectiveness of contraception MoD News 0
B Sleep Apnoeists Diamond Lil's 8
Z Taking antihistamines if you can't sleep... Health & Fitness 12
N Sleep Distractions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Montigny_La_Palisse He watches you while you sleep....... Diamond Lil's 8
Chicogiz Can never Bloody sleep! Health & Fitness 24
golden_rivet I've overeaten and can't sleep!!! Diamond Lil's 10
brazenhussy Would you sleep with a member of the same sex for £500,000? Diamond Lil's 112
S it's 01:16hrs in the moring and can't sleep! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
slim Poor sleep clouds moral judgement Diamond Lil's 11
golden_rivet bet you lot can sleep anywhere The Gash Barge 16