Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Importance of sleep.

Jervis

Midshipman
Alright chaps,

Recently i've been trying to get my body clock from 12am to 6:30am, but its easyier said than done in my opinion.

Just wanted to ask you guys and girls, what your normal night sleep is like and how you either cut yours back or how people in the Royal Navy cope who are lazy barstools?

Im a delivery driver whilst waiting on my joinning date, which means i get in at half 9-10 and make dinner then which might have somethin to do with why i feel like something horrible the next morning?

Share yourself completely lol.

Become a submariner, then you wont worry where your body clock is, just be thankful you still have one.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Gombear said:
I remember 6 on 6 off defence watches. An absolute bastard!! :(

Try it for a 3 month deployment..takes ages to get back to normal hours when you get back

Jervis

Midshipman
So none of you guys that replyed have trouble with 6 hours sleep? im 20 and its difficult lol but its only day 3 so early days

trelawney126

War Hero
When watchkeeping you can keep the forenoon dogs and middle, or the afternoon first and morning, or 6 about or Westcountry watches, or even watch and watch. Diffent ships, different cap tallies.
the accepted norm is I believe eight hours, some manage on less, so everyone has their own sleep requirements.
Naval discipline soon sorts you out, and this alone will stand you in good stead for the future. I work a couple of ten hour nights a week and have no trouble adapting into a regular sleep pattern, your body and mind become accustomed to it.
The only problem I had was adjusting to the lack of fans,machinery, and Phantom F4K's taking off two feet above my pit space. Then again I don't think there are many Jet blast deflecters in service at present.
Just don't worry about it, :wink:

When someone terror shakes you at 4 am with a torch in you grid, then you get up!!! Simple reason is you are their relief and they want some bedframe hours.

Jervis

Midshipman
lol yeah i can imagine. yeah i guess trick is not to worry about it and let your body adjust without thinking about it. i know this dude whos quite content to get 1 -2 hours sleep. interesting how some people can and cant they say the most ambitious people tend not to sleep much :/

trelawney126

War Hero
If your really worried about the lack of sleep. Join as a Tiff.
These are the elite artisans of the fleet and work exclusively from their beds/bunks. Had one on the Massive who never got out of his bunk whilst at sea. Rumour had it that he was spot welded in six places to the mattress. :wink:
Your quite right though just don't worry about it.

Sleep and the RN? something doesn't compute! When I left and joined civil aviation sleeping under the fin of a 747 with dodgy yaw damping was sheer heaven.
In the RN I was an RO, so if you can join a branch that does not work constant watches I would sincerely advise you to do so. If such wonders still exist.

Jervis

Midshipman
Seems that the majority of you guys are asuming that im asking about what it will be like the in the Navy whilst sleeping. im just generalising in everyday life have any of you guys had or know people with weird sleep patterns. or yourself had trouble changing them for instance if you slept 10 hours and now you sleep 5 how did you manage it ?

trelawney126

War Hero
Jervis said:
Seems that the majority of you guys are asuming that im asking about what it will be like the in the Navy whilst sleeping. im just generalising in everyday life have any of you guys had or know people with weird sleep patterns. or yourself had trouble changing them for instance if you slept 10 hours and now you sleep 5 how did you manage it ?
Yes, my mother in law, she has a medical complaint and suffers from tight skin around her arse. Every time she sits down her eyes close! :wink:

I have never had a regular sleep pattern, and never lead a life that would encourage the same, never kept regular hours.
Sometimes I sleep well, at other times not. It has never been something that comes easily to me. Therefore there have more or less always been some sort of problem.
I do not expect to sleep well and am pleasantly surprised when I do.
A bit closer to your question perhaps?

Topstop

War Hero
WreckerL said:
Sleep when and where you can, 6 on/6 off watchkeeping will sort you out :lol:

Did, was standing in the corner by the SSE on the Fwd Escape in a fire exersise wearing EBS. next thing I knew was being unable to breath, opening my eyes and looking straight into the Swains with his hand infront kinking the air hose 8O

The fire ex had finished 30 mins earlier and nearly all the crew had been up there to see me asleep standing up :oops: :oops:

A

angrydoc

I frequently work nights and strange shifts and have to adjust body clock a lot. All you have to do is not go to sleep when you're tired - wait until the 'normal time' (eg about 2200 or so). Then you'll sleep through, get up at 0700 so you don't lie in, and body clock is reset!

Shimples!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoD_RSS Polling indicates growing public understanding about importance of using health and care data MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of listening to children MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of having a lawyer for a parole review - CEO blog MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of fair elections, security and humanitarian assistance in Somalia MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of disclosure in the climate emergency MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of vaccines – why the Global Vaccine Summit 2020 matters: 26 May 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emphasising the importance of justice for victims in South Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Emphasising the importance of delivering principled humanitarian action to those who need it most MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of UNOCA in preventing and resolving conflict MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of Israel and Palestine living in peace MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of effective transitions MoD News 0
MoD_RSS The importance of youth participation in addressing the world’s most pressing challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Eleven drowning deaths hit home - the importance of lifejackets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Science Minister hails the importance of humanities to society MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK Government Minister reiterates importance of Oil and Gas sector MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The importance of soil in a changing climate MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Education Secretary sets out the importance of testing in primary school MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Intellectual Property Minister speaks of the importance of ensuring UK IP remains some of the best in the world MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign Secretary stresses importance of democratic values MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: UK and ASEAN agree importance of future relationship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: The importance of the sanctions regime in Sudan MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: World Soil Day marks importance of healthy farmed environment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Armed Forces Minister reaffirms importance of Gibraltar to UK defence MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary highlights importance of partnering with charities during visit to military recovery centre MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon hails importance of UK's defence network MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Speech: Importance of addressing sexual exploitation and abuse in peacekeeping MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Reflecting on the importance of defence work at Porton Down MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Injured soldier speaks about importance of Covenant support MoD News 0
soleil T'Graph: "The Importance Of Maintaining A Strong Royal Navy Presence In The Gulf" Bases / Shore Est 0
soleil RN Website: "First Sea Lord Stresses Importance Of The Navy And Sea In National Life" Current Affairs 0
soleil Strangelove: "On Libya, Aircraft Carriers, And The Importance Of Marketing" Current Affairs 1
UckersUfcukers The importance of Aircraft Carriers in the fleet Diamond Lil's 8
T The Importance of a Second Opinion...... Diamond Lil's 0
B Sleep Apnoeists Diamond Lil's 8
Z Taking antihistamines if you can't sleep... Health & Fitness 12
N Sleep Distractions Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
Montigny_La_Palisse He watches you while you sleep....... Diamond Lil's 8
Chicogiz Can never Bloody sleep! Health & Fitness 24
golden_rivet I've overeaten and can't sleep!!! Diamond Lil's 10
brazenhussy Would you sleep with a member of the same sex for £500,000? Diamond Lil's 112
S it's 01:16hrs in the moring and can't sleep! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
slim Poor sleep clouds moral judgement Diamond Lil's 11
golden_rivet bet you lot can sleep anywhere The Gash Barge 16