Impact of service later in life

We are conducting a research study which will explore how people’s careers affect their health and well-being later on in life. We aim to see if military service may have a different impact on health and well-being in later life or not. The study will include military veterans and non-veterans and we also hope to interview a close companion (e.g. spouse, child, close friend) of each participant for their views on the topic. If we can identify the potential effects of occupation later in life, then future employers will be able to potentially adapt working practices to take account of how people fare when they are aged over 65 years of age.

We are inviting those who are over the age of 65 and either served in the UK armed forces (for longer than 5 years) or served in a non-military profession (for longer than 5 years) to take part. Participants and close companions will be asked to complete some brief questionnaires and take part in an interview with one of our researchers.

More information about the VOICE Study can be found online (URL: Alternatively, please contact the research team on 020 7848 5347/07490092960 or email them at [email protected]
Why aged 65? I fall outside your demographic, but feel I could contribute.
Why only 5 years service? Seems a fairly short time to have acrued any good/bad health habits.
Close companions?Most ex-Servicemen at 65 are on number 2 at least! So no observation of 'before and after'.

Sounds like a flawed survey to me.