Impact of Coronavirus on intake.

El pusser

I’m currently in the process of joining the Royal Navy with a possible entry date for 16 Nov 2020.
First of all, is there anybody else currently scheduled to attend HMS Raleigh on that date.
Secondly, does anybody know whether Covid-19 has had an effect on intake &/or whether HMS Raleigh is currently closed.

Cheers.

Oldest_Nozzer

Midshipman
This is the message I received off HMS Raleigh...

"We are still taking recruits in order to fulfil the RN’s operational outputs. This means we also have trained personnel to respond to the Covid-19 crisis and provide resilience, while maintaining key defence outputs. We are following PHE guidance.
At the moment new recruits are spending 14 days in Ganges prior to going to Division, that’s after 14 days isolation at home. This has been put in place to mitigate the risk of infection. The recruits start their training on arrival as normal. Normally they would go straight to Division."

My intake date for rejoining is still valid for the 7th September.

Good luck

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Before the elderly on here get confused, that's Ganges block in Raleigh that's being referred to, not the remains of the place at Shotley Gate (where I joined up :) )

Stirlin

War Hero
Before the elderly on here get confused, that's Ganges block in Raleigh that's being referred to, not the remains of the place at Shotley Gate (where I joined up :) )

Boys went to Ganges............men went to Raleigh/St Vincent ;) , the cut off point was 15 and 9 months , below that Ganges , above R/St V.... I made Raleigh with 9 days to spare.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Boys went to Ganges............men went to Raleigh/St Vincent ;) , the cut off point was 15 and 9 months , below that Ganges , above R/St V.... I made Raleigh with 9 days to spare.
I don't know what the criteria was when I joined up (I was 16) but it was greenies and S&S in my class.

slim

War Hero
In my day greeny juniors went to St Vincent
They still had a mast to climb and lots of red thread to sew their names in with