immunizations / vaccinations

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by k800i, Oct 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. According to my documentation ive got to take immunizations / vaccinations evidence from my doctor to Raleigh.. otherwise im gonna have to take all the injections . Men.C , diphtheria/tetanus/polio , BCG, measles/mumps/rubella, typhoid , hep a, hap b.

are all these gonna be given in one go? :eek:mfg:

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Welcome to the Royal Navy Mr Pincushion ^_^;

3. Yes, you join on Monday, and jabs day is Wednesday morning, or at least it used to be. Now take it like a man...

4. you can go and see your nurse at your local gp center and they will give you some of these in advance, plus most are free (stick to those). ;)

5. So its 5 injections in one go? different needles?

6. Yep, different needles, although getting some in advance is a good tip. If you're a blood donor and have a card then that may be a way of avoiding one sample being taken. It works for AIB candidates that pass, in any case.

7. Surely thats gonna make me feel very ill..

8. Why?

9. its normal to feel a little ill because they inject dead versions of the bacteria/virus/etc imagine what 5 is going to do to me

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

One or two have survived believe it or not.

11. Well it's only five, so two in each arm and one in the bum, sorted :thumright:
    Seriously though stop worrying about it, most injections do not have ant side effects, some may make your arm ache a little. If it wasn't safe it wouldn't be done.

12. This wasnt acceptable when joining RM, they took it "just in case" the blood service had cocked up

13. joke?

14. Yes it was a joke, however be warned there may be occasions when an injection is given in the bum. As a youngster I had a tetanus injection in that very place. Ask your friendly medic for further details.
    For those who travel a lot injections rapidly become a way of life, the nurse in the last company I worked for ensure that all service engineers were kept in date for virtually everything. Got used to going to work and being told to pop down to the medical room for yet another injection.

15. Really? That's a shame. RM candidates don't come our way so I didn't know. Still, no Royal's going to be afraid of a needle...

The only one that knocks you (slightly) sideways is the yellow fever jab, and that's not with everyone. All the others won't affect you in the slightest.

16. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I fail to see your concern.

If you take your Vaccination & Immunization history (as advised four weeks before you join at your pre-entry brief), then you will only be given boosters for those which are out of date.

Before I joined, I'd never had a single injection as my parents didn't believe they worked. Needless to say I got the lot when I joined & it never affected me in the slightest.[​IMG]

17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Wot not even the meat injection?? :dwarf:

18. ha ha how original :D