Immunisations at Raleigh

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by ChrisA, Sep 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a child I had reacted adversely to the DTP vaccine, very basically: my immune system shutdown for several months and it was even longer before I bounced back fully. As a result, my parents ensured I remained clear of all other vaccines and I've had a relatively healthy childhood.

I'm 20 now and wondering how my body is going to react to the full-course of vaccines they'll pump into my system at Raleigh. I discussed the issue with my parents before applying, they think that because I'm older (bigger, stronger, healthier, etc.) the reaction (if any) will be small.

After the pre-joining brief today and discovering I'll be needing 6 different jabs, I'm a bit worried. Will they give me all the jabs at once? Surely that will just confuse the body as it tries making antibodies for 6+ different diseases? Is it possible to have them spread them out over the 9 weeks, since I wont even be serving at sea until next year?

I'm going to try and get the BCG done before going to ease the load.

Any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. Did you mention this to the medical staff when you did your joining medical? If you did they should have indicated to you if they thought you would have any problems.

If you did not mention it then you should mention it to your Divisional staff on arrival at Raleigh. They will arrange for you to see a Medical Officer to discuss this. I would not go ahead and get any immunisations prior to joining as there is every chance that Pussers will give them again anyway, just to make sure ^~

3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The easier way is to book an appointment with the Medical Officer at your AFCO before you join - rather than go all the way to Raleigh & find there maybe a problem.

You have to take your immunisation & vaccination history when you join Raleigh.

4. Thanks for the replies.

I didn't mention it to the doctor at my medical simply because it didn't cross my mind, my mum only brought it up once she'd seen the list of vaccines they intend on giving me.

Ninja - I don't think my AFCO has one, my medical was at a surgery away from the AFCO and carried out by a civvie doc, wouldn't I need to pay (lots) to see him?

5. Ninja_Stoker

No.

I'd suggest you speak to your Careers adviser to see if the Medical Officer will see you before you join, just to clarify an issue for you regarding immunisation. In doing so, you cannot be accused of not letting them know you believe there MAY be an issue.

As your parents say, there's probably no cause for concern, but your own well-being is absolutely paramount.

6. Jabs are on a Wednesday morning, on day 3 of the Naval career as I recall.

7. If they give you all the jabs at once they will be followed by making you drink a gallon of water. This is to check for leaks in the vaccination area.
    Any leak will of course be immediately cauterised.

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ah, now that DOES make sense.

Cheers Slim.

9. As a new entry at Raleigh I lived in fear of being called to the dentist, it didn't happen. However my joy was short lived as they caught up with me at Lee on Solent during part two training.
    In actual fact the worrying about the dentist was worse than the fillings and extraction which followed. Said dentist was extremely good, nice little wren DA sitting on stool flashing stocking tops, sussie's and white thigh did take a little of the pain away.
    So I wouldn't worry about your injections, after a while they become part of life in a blue suit, in fact for me as a field engineer travelling worldwide they continued as a civvie.
    Don't worry, Be happy.

10. Slim,

I'm not at all worried about having the jabs, it's just the possibility of me being knocked out afterwards and being too ill to continue with training in the short term. If that was to be the case, would be be discharged or simply put on hold?

Hoping to see the Medical Officer in the next couple of weeks.

11. Ninja_Stoker

Chris,

The reason I mentioned having a word with the Medical Officer before you actually join is that if a known medical condition, of which you were aware but did not disclose, manifests during phase one training then you may be medically discharged.

If you have a look at the (S3049) Attestation Form you were given at your Pre-entry brief, you will see it is mentioned as the "56 Day Rule". (It's the bit of paper on your list of documents to take with you to HMS Raleigh).

If you're up front & it does present a problem (hopefully not) then you've "covered your backside" & have nothing to worry about.

12. your injections are on the first tueday at raleigh u should join on a sunday.
    Make sure you tell your AFCO everything and make sure they note it down and inform anyone raleigh before u get there cos im currently going through a situation where my local AFCO and Raleigh had a different point of veiw on my fitness and discharged me.

13. Agree with the others. You need to be up front about this now and get it checked or recorded, if only to satisfy the just in case factor.

SF

14. Chris, I would definitely see a doctor beforehand, as they are more current on immunology than any of us here. He can give you sensitivity tests for BCG etc, and check your vitals to see if you are ok to receive vaccines various. DTaP/TDaP (they are different, ones for kids, one for adults) are rarely contra-indicated for over 18s but you might be in that category if you have prior reactions.

In the past, when they gave us yellow fever vaccine it made out pits n bits swell up (lymph nodes), and the medical staff told the PTIs to go easy on us for a day or two. So they didn't beast us as hard on pressups. Thats about it. Of course, didn't get a certificate, had to go to Africa, got the jab at least two more times with resultant pod swellage. With all our foreign travel these days you will need to get and keep records, and look after your own body with things like anti malarials, since sometimes a reaction develops very slowly as the drugs may affect liver function.

(Disclaimer: Medical advice on the net is like asking a stoker for careers advice.... ^~ )

15. Ninja_Stoker

Yup, can't argue with that one! :thumright:

16. Just browsing the web this morning out of interest and I stumbled across this from an article talking about the "gulf war syndrome" in relation to the Anthrax jab and the controversy behind it (I know the Anthrax jab isn't included in the Raleigh ones):

(full article from Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,1295215,00.html)

Aside from opinions about whether having vaccines is right or wrong, can anyone clarify if the Raleigh jabs are compulsory or not? I was under the impression they were. Are the Guardian just being sarcastic? Or are they referring to the Anthrax ones alone?

17. Ninja_Stoker

Chris,

It's beginning to look like there is a significant problem here, my advice still stands mate.