Immigration Strike on Wednesday

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by drewfester, Nov 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know they are not breaking any laws but surely certain vocations that are so important to the safety and security of this country should not be allowed to strike, I cannot strike, police cannot but firemen can.
    Just trying to make the point that they would not have got away with it in the US as the strike was illegal and Reagan was all set to sack them.
    Think it's a bit wrong where a Union holds a ballot, less than 40% turn out and they only just vote in favor. Shows that even the unions are out of touch with many of their members. The whole strike thing is not just the Immigration Officers, but they are one of the critical services to the security of you and me

Just my tuppenceworth :)
  2. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

A this time would we notice their absense ?
  3. Every man other than the military should have the right to withdraw their labour IMO.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. They already do, it's called resignation.

Just to clarify my position however, the UK is in deep poo and getting ourselves back from the mess we are in is going to be difficult enough without mass strikes. I sympathise with those who see their pensions being eroded but the answer is not, in my opinion, a mass walkout.

For those who question how strong the feeling is (in the light of the numbers being bandied about on strike vote etc) I would say let's wait and see on Wednesday but I hope there are a large number of civil servants who can see thw writing on the wall and can appreciate that a strike is the last thin that UK plc needs right now.
  5. Its not just the immmigration service but just about all Public Services ... Prison Service, Teachers, Hospitals Workers etc all have been asked to strike. I got asked to strike but refused but quite a few other are. What worries me is the way its been balloted ... I certainly didn't get any ballot papers and I don't think I know of anyone that did ... Just seems as if the Union Higherarchy have decided and while I don't want them to be eroding my pension ... they've only just played around with it anyway ... I'm now being asked to pay more (don't mind) and also work longer before I'm eligible to draw it and the thought of working until I'm 68 just seems to be taking the biscuit ... particularly as under the old scheme I could have gone at 55. I personally don't think striking is the answer.

All would have been well if Blair hadn't given the fat git Brown free hand to plunder everyones pensions. Brown is the root of all evil and should be held accountable!
  6. My dark stuff

And that it the crux of the matter. No-one is ever held to account.

I do hope that the Border people do go on strike as it will hopefully allow more immigrants into the country. I think the idea of re-creating a mirror image of the world's humanity in the UK was one of Tony Blair's greatest legacies.
  7. I guess most have a right to strike but certain occupations need to think before they do.
    It probably has never occurred to them that if they strike and in walks a bomber it's them and their loved ones who will be at the same risk as everyone else.
    Sometimes it doesn't make sense to strike with such a low vote and for such an important thing as safety of our people.
    Still the Union Barons are well set up to live away from the urban risk!
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

What does worry me is suggestions such as this: Troops could man UK borders

Fully appreciate Dave has an RM military adviser, but I doubt 40 Commando (as suggested by the BBC) would thank him for suggesting they look after airport security.

A role best suited to the RAF Regiment or the Royal Military Police, surely?

9. Think I'd feel safer with 40 Cdo looking after the airports :-D
  10. yeah sack all the useless cnuts.
  11. "Think it's a bit wrong where a Union holds a ballot, less than 40% turn out and they only just vote in favor. "

Sounds like the figures from a general election... If a govt can get in on c40% of people getting out and voting then maybe the same should apply here...

P.S I dont actually agree with the strike..
  12. When the government signs a contract for the order of military equipment It cant back out unless is pays BAE/whoever a hefty sum.

When the government signs a contract of employment with a civil servant stating the rules and terms of engagement in black and white the government seem to think its ok to welchy on the deal - only after said civil servant has spent the last two decades working for his paid-for pension of course.

There maybe a lot a fat useless people doing non jobs for HM but there are also a lot of hard working people doing proper jobs that the public don't care about because its not in the limelight or even fashionable to care about them.

I'm not asking for a pay rise, I'm not asking for a pay rise tomorrow. All I'm asking is that the government honour the the terms and conditions of the contract I signed nearly ten years ago. I want my pension, the pension I have payed for in both taxes and full contribution. A pension I have earned by not being a burden on the tax payer, by not breaking the law and by not bogging down the public services needlessly.

Like some people here I have had my terms and conditions attacked, I've been taxed to hell without a say in the matter. I've had policy enforced upon me. My colleagues have been sacked or made redundant, and I have been asked to do more work in less time with less resources on a less than inflation pay rise since 2001. Did I moan? No, I got on with it because that is whats expected of us.

The one thing I didn't expected was to see my hard work towards a reasonable retirement fragrantly discarded. An expectation that if I accomplish "x" I will receive "y" at the end left in taters.

When I signed along the dotted line I expected to earn this much and retire at 60 after a full career of work. I joined so young in fact I could have retired at 58 after a full 40 years service. Now the government says that I cant have the pension I signed on for and I cant retire at the agreed time. This is now, what happens in another ten years time, what about ten years after that?

I have had enough and it has to stop. I plan to join the navy have a full career and retire as early as possible on the earnings from my rented properties of which I have one already half paid for. And when I do retire I'm moving away from this shity little embarrassment of a country to pay my taxes elsewhere.
  13. Early Chop
    We all signed contracts with the firms we work(ed) for. In my case it included a final earnings related pension, we all paid in for this and in my case the company took a pensions holiday (they pain nil contributions) for the whole 12 years that I worked for them. It became apparent that the pension fund would no longer be able to support final earnings pensions so they stopped the option for new employees. After a time it was decided that the final pension scheme could not continue. At this point those working for the company who were on the final salary scheme were told that the final salary would stop. Years accrued would still count towards the final salary but future payments would be at a lower rate. The company still offerred the final salary but for much increased pension contributions.
    This happened in the company I worked for 5 years ago, did the workforce go on strike?
    Of course not.
    Time for the public sector to wake up and accept what we in the private sector have had to accept for many years. The gravy train has been derailed!
  14. I fully agree.
  15. Do you write headlines for the Daily Mail when your tongue isn't stuck to a window ?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. They done the exact same thing to us a few years back too, I'm not barking on about the final salary pensions scheme Im talking about the retirement age, It doesn't affect me entirely as I wont worried about that when my time comes. My father on the other hand is near retirement along with my mother and many of my friends, most of whom were looking forward to retiring with a certain amount of money and at a certain time, their plans are now derailed.

I simply believe rather than punish those who are close to retiring. why does every cost cutting measure have to be put into effect immediately or even back dated. I'll tell you why, it's because our governments are only ever interested in what they can achieve in less than four years and what they can do to feather their own beds afterwards.
    Its not right to promise someone something in exchange for hard work and a lifetime of labour only to have it pulled at the last minute. Politicians whom work for us should be more concerned with keeping their promise and protecting the working middle classes than increasing their aid budget and fannying around with inquiry quango's not to mention the yearly 38billion benefits budget.

Also final salary pension scheme's stopped in my line of work around 2002, not for management I might add.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  17. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Finks and Guzzler, do you mean what you say? You are quite happy for Servicemen, Police, Prison Staff etc to withdraw their labour?
  18. Magda

Magda War Hero Book Reviewer

Whilst I appreciate that people have the right to strike and to protect that which they earn etc... I would actually like a job where I earn enough to have to worry about whether I'll be having to put more in to my pension pot.

I am one of the lucky few 18-25 year olds who has a job, but I earn less than £1000 a month most months. I look at people WITH jobs who are striking over pension reforms and think... at least you have one.

This isn't much of an argument, and this is also the wrong place to vent... but anyway. My input. =-)
  19. Prison service staff have always been able to strike legally unlike the police, however, they gave up their right to strike eighty years ago in a voluntary agreement called JIRPA in exchange for an independent pay review body tasked with making pay and pension recommendations.

I don't know what has transpired in the generations before me, however I can confirm that the government has consistently ignored the PRB's recommendations for the last ten years. Also I'd like to point out that the extension to retirement age and pension contribution (currently 9-11% depending on the force) does not apply to the police force. They have been spared this time more than likely in an effort not to turn even more public opinion against the cuts.

Just you wait. In a few years from now when everyone looks back on when all the teachers walked out for a day, the government will turn its attention to the police.