I'm very interested in the FAA.

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by Micky_Bee, Dec 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, as it is I'm at uni, but considering dropping out due to the sheer boredom of it. The student life is cushty, but law bores me to tears. I've always been interested in the armed forces and would like to be involved in something where i can use my brain and not be bored because of it. So I'm wanting to join up and try to become a pilot.

I'm going to pop into the AFCO later to see how to go about things, but i don't want to sound like a complete twat, who's only there for something to do. So is there anything i should before before i get ther? As i don't want to be stood there 'umming and arring'.

Also is there any information that you guys have about joinging the FAA? i just hate to be unprepared.

Thanks.

2. Don't be mental. Finish Uni and try then. As it is you are demonstrating an inability to stick at something when you get bored (not a good image, and something that an AIB interviewer would tear into you for).

Join the TA (or if you are feeling weak-willed and prefer life as a civvy join the RNR).

3. :wink: :wink: Get your degree, then BRNC, FAA, PILOT. jobs a goodun, WAFU :)

4. Being nosey, what are you studying?

Edited to add just noticed you said Law, how far are you in to it?

5. What Scouse says. We both worked alongside pilots and most pilots will tell you that you spend a better chance getting through an AIB with a degree than without. You are proving that by having the degree you have the learning power that is required to become a pilot.

A pilot ain't just sitting the cockpit pointing it at the bad guys. You need to understand the aerodynamics and complex weaponry that is not you not only carry but have at your disposal.

Finish your degree, if you get that bored I doubt the navy will want you. Prove to them and yourself you have what it takes. Not just get bored and want to change tack. Be a stayer!!!!

6. Nearly halfway through. Is it ok that the degree is law rather than a science? The thing is i don't want to get in £36000 debt if it doesn't pay off at then end of it.

7. Thanks you lot. Feels as though you've shaken some sense into me!

8. Go to the AFCO, speak to them, they may have options, (£), that may assist you if you can prove that the Navy is a career for you. (Bursaries ring a bell but they may or may not apply - if you don't ask - you don't get, [my simple thinking.])

My last pilot had a degree in geology! Hardly a subject that you would consider useful for flying a helicopter! As I said, a degree is is a sign of your learning ability, the subject is irrelevant. Others I know were financiers or the like, only a few had engineering or science based degree's.

Don't bin Uni until you speak to the nice chaps/chapess's at the recruiting centres. We have a couple that regularly post on here and no doubt will be along soon to offer guiding words of wisdom. (Or just tell you bog off depending on their day so far! :wink: :lol: :lol: ).

9. I suppose if he was a dreadful pilot he may at least have some familiarity with the medium he keeps crashing into.

10. Fortunately for me he was a good pilot.

The down side was I got to photograph every interesting and non interesting rock formation in the UK, Falklands and South Georgia, and a few places in between!!!!! :? :?

And the FAA philosophy on landings is still, any landing you walk away from is a good un!! :lol:

11. Rock pictures; I feel your pain!

12. Could always bin you degree, join up as a scrote and bitch for the rest of you career how you should have stayed at uni and become a pilot.

13. My last pilot (lynx Flight) had some GCE O levels, great pilot but not what could be called an academic. It may have helped that he was public school educated and dady owned a rather large farm. :oops:

If your daddy aint rich and you didn't go to the expensive public school then I suggest finishing your degree and then joining.

14. There are generally options within a University when you feel a subject isn't for you, although this is much easier north of the border rather than south. Have you spoken to your co-ordinator about switching courses? Have you looked into switching to a different Uni?

15. I don't have a degree or a daddy, looks like I won't stand a chance at AIB in March... :cry:

16. What a load of rubbish being spouted here. Couldn't agree less about needing a degree. Admittedly dropping out looks a bit bad however, if you leave an irrelevant 3/4 year course to do something worthwhile that you might enjoy (and is a career unlike a degree) surely that's more better. Something you may take into account is the difference in pay and seniority given to non-grads.
    As long as you have the requisite UCAS points and are able to learn etc why not give it a go.
    Yours
    Golden
    Pilot (still training but nearly there)

17. I have no idea if it's more better, but don't call me Shirley

18. Sorry Shirley, I should have written "more betterer".
    Who needs JSP101 and the DW Guide to the Use of English; I can just post any draft DW on here!

19. For what it's worth on this current intake (Sept '09) there are several PUT's (Pilot's under training) who are middies, ie without degrees, and about half dropped out of university.

What i'm saying is you don't need a degree, or a rich daddy or a public school education to get in as a Pilot - this isn't the 1970's Navy anymore.

That said, don't drop out of uni, graduates find the college a lot easier than non-grads for whatever reason. Plus, you already HAVE debt now your part the way through your course, if you drop out now you'll have the same loans to pay off as a S/Lt only on a Middies sh*t wage (ie 1/2 as much)

20. PMSL :lol: