I'm thinking about joining...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by dan6311, Jun 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, I am thinking of joining up, but not sure what to expect in my situation!

Me - I'm about to turn 30, I served 4 years in the Army but left 9 years ago, and I am a time served, qualified machinist with heavy engineering experience and have worked in the steelmaking and oil and gas industry.

Does anyone know what I could roughly expect once I've completed the required basic training etc? Would I be able to go to a machining position? Or would I have to re do my training, or serve some time elsewhere first?

Also there's my age, do many guys around my age join up these days? Is it worth joining up at 30?

I have telephoned the recruitment line but the woman couldn't help and the application site online isn't working and to go to the recruitment office I will have to book a days holiday off work! So hoping to get a better picture before I go any further.

Thanks all

2. Welcome, Dan.

You are not too old to join, generally speaking, but you are too old to apply for certain jobs, one of which is unfortunately Engineering Technician.

There are other jobs available, though:

Role Finder | Royal Navy

Last edited: Jun 8, 2013
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm afraid if you want to be a Royal Navy Engineering Technician or Engineering Officer of any discipline (Air, Weapons or Marine), you're unfortunately "too old" as far as the Naval Service is concerned. Possibly the Royal Fleet Auxiliary (RFA) is a more viable option: Engineering | Royal Navy

The RN has always had a problem finding a job for civilian trained engineers as they always fall between the cracks of being trained in the wrong discipline directly applicable to the service or lacking the management/leadership experience or qualifications to be an engineering officer. The closest we came to "getting it right" from a civilian perspective was Direct Entry artificers, but artificers no longer exist unfortunately.

The age aspect is peculiar to the service as most other rating branches recruit up to age 36, but in order to achieve "pull through" to fill supervisory engineering posts within the shorter career span of the AFPS 05 contract, the age limit is unfortunately capped.

4. Ah well nevermind then! Thank you for the replies!

5. Ah well nevermind then! Thank you for the replies!

6. Will the age limits be changing due to the contract changing from 18 years to 20 years to coincide with the FAFPS 15?

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good question. There are those that question the logic behind the six year difference of age parameters in the engineering branches, given that the "average" matelot only serves 6 years total in any case. There is also a shortage of submariner engineering applicants.

8. I beg to differ, had some V bad experiences with DEA's. Had 2 on one boat, both had short lived careers.