im not sure if there is any point of appling because of medical HELP PLZ!

hi everyone I am new here

so basically few months ago I applied to join navy reserve and did not get past the recruitment test but now I am able to apply again since it has been 5 months but there is one issue that worries me and in most cases will not allow entry which Is epilepsy right yes I know this is a big issue but its not what you think because they happen in my sleep and the medication for it works. So what I decided to do was ring the careers office and ask about this and all they said was apply and but this was during waiting to be able to apply again and really I have no idea what to do.

Also me and my dad who was in the navy came up with the idea that there would be no harm in bringing the medication with me when you go away for six months just bring a 12 month supply of medication incase you get trapped on a desert island of anything :). I understand this is the armed forces and they might not let you get away with things like that but the guy on the phone did say its done on a individual case so it could work and after all it is the reserve forces you will not be doing as much as the full timers right.

but anyway thanks for reading though my poor writing
thanks

I am by no means a medical expert, but there are lesser things that bar you from entry into the Royal Navy. Unfortunately, Epilepsy is Epilepsy and although it happens in your sleep; I imagine lack of sleep (such as watch keeping or periods of intense tasking may bring about attacks). Also, from personal experience incidents on board a warship are more likely to happen at night (floods/fires etc).

So whilst it appears I am all doom and gloom, I am trying to manage your expectations. That said, if you don’t ask you don’t get. So chat to your AFCO and they will advise you better than I can.

Good luck with your application.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also me and my dad who was in the navy came up with the idea that there would be no harm in bringing the medication with me when you go away for six months just bring a 12 month supply of medication incase you get trapped on a desert island of anything :). I understand this is the armed forces and they might not let you get away with things like that but the guy on the phone did say its done on a individual case so it could work and after all it is the reserve forces you will not be doing as much as the full timers
Taking medication that’s not prescribed to you by a Navy Doc will show up on a drugs test. I would imagine the medication is a sedative also, so maybe it’s a controlled drug also and also a big no-no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the medical standards for entry.
Neurological disorders

Ongoing nervous system disease. Epilepsy or more than one Seizure/fit after
the age of 5 (although Benign Rolandic epilepsy is acceptable). Single seizure/fit
within the last 5 years. Multiple sclerosis. Complications following head injury.
Hydrocephalus (with or without shunt). Severe or recurrent headache (including
migraine).

Latest Threads