I'm back..this time with a service number...now what?!?!?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by mrskpickles, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there...

I now have a pic of my grandads medals, and may now be able to find out if he served on Hood, and what else he did during his time in the navy and where he served etc...not sure if some of you will remember me from a year or so ago??

Anyway, please please please help if you can,,,this has been so long coming! 10 years in fact.

So I have a pic of five medals. The plaque underneath them says

L/Mech R J MacCormack P/JX 132913

The medals are as follows

A gold star, the ribbon is navy blue/red/lighter blue
    Gold star, ribbon blue fading to white fading to green
    Gold star, ribbon yellow stripe with a thin navy stripe within it, then red solid stripe, then another yellow stripe with a lighter blue within it. The ribbon on this one also has a thin gold stripe going horizontally across it half way up.
    A gold star, ribbon red/white/green/white/red
    Silver circular medal, ribbn red,blue, thin white/thin red/thin white, blue, red

I am guessing they are all simple to work out and I am dumb??

And what do I do now, how do I find out about his service and whether he served on HMS Hood??

Thanks guys, hope you are up for helping this time!

Love Kirstie

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

3. Re: I'm back..this time with a service number...now what?!?!

The medals in the shape of stars seem to be second world war medals. They should have the name of the medal actually printed on the front.
    I have just got my fathers medals out of the drawer to see what they say.

A gold star, the ribbon is navy blue/red/lighter blue is the 1939 - 1945 Star

Gold star, ribbon blue fading to white fading to green is the Atlantic Star

Gold star, ribbon yellow stripe with a thin navy stripe within it, then red solid stripe, then another yellow stripe with a lighter blue within it is the Africa Star.

Silver circular medal, ribbn red,blue, thin white/thin red/thin white, blue, red is the 1939-1945 War medal.

Can't help you with the other one
    Try reading the inscription :p

Best regards
    bill

4. Re: I'm back..this time with a service number...now what?!?!

Hey, thank you for that.

I have identified the medals now with both the site and your info..thank you

So how do I find out about the ships he served on and dates etc??

The other is the italy star

So did you get these for just going to these places?? Did you have to be there for specific times, or engaged in "action" ??

Thank you again

K

5. Re: I'm back..this time with a service number...now what?!?!

They are medals which were earned by spending time in these theatres of war. The circular medal was awarded to ALL service personnel and I believe also many civilians.

6. Re: I'm back..this time with a service number...now what?!?!

Hi Kirstie,

Try the address/phone number here:

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/royal_navy.html

Good luck!

SP.

BTW, I only know of three who survived the sinking of HMS Hood, they were: Signalman Ted Briggs, Seaman Bob Tilburn and Midshipman William Dundass.

7. Re: I'm back..this time with a service number...now what?!?!

The medals had different qualifying times "in theatre" - for some this could be as short as one day in a particular defined set of waters.

The thin gold bar you mention on the Africa Star is probably for "North Africa 42-43" which was a pretty common one for sailors taking part in mediterranean operations.

Defence Medal (the round silver (actually cupro-nickel) ) was earned for at least 3 years service in the forces. The

A decent run-down of times/dates/lengths can be found at http://users.skynet.be/hendrik/eng/39UK.html

In general though you will need his service record to find out all the answers to the questions you are posing. Put in a Freedom of Information/Next of Kin request to the MoD medals office.

Hope this helps

Nick

8. thank you....with re to the three survivors of Hoods sinking....my grandfather was off sick with a tummy bug at the time!! So didn't technically "survive"!! There is a pic of him (or at least very much like him) with Jack Silk on the Hood website. I also have some pics here in which Jack appears, so I put two and two together and hopefully it;s made four!

My uncle told me Grandad was on a big famous ship that was sunk and grandad was off sick and only three men survived, thats where the search started...but who knows!

Thank you again folks,

x

9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Italy Star ... as shown here