I'm a Dinner Jacket at Columbia University

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by chieftiff, Sep 24, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

The Iranian President made a defensive speech at Columbia University today after Lee Bollinger called him either "brazenly provocative or astonishingly uneducated"

The Presidents' quotes include "justice and friendship." when talking of the worlds religions and "We are brothers and friends." when talking of Iraq.

It was an interesting spectacle and is available here:

CNN Story

Sky Video

Apparently there are no homosexuals in Iran............ at all!
  2. The MSM are desperate to paint him as an extremist nut-job but he actually comes across as pretty reasonable and calm, especially in today's interview and speech at the National Press Club. One little snippet in his CBS interview which is being studiously ignored by the MSM is his comment about American Army support for an organisation which is classed as a terrorist organisation by the US State Department.

Et voila!

The Secretary of State has amended the designation, under Executive Order 13224 on terrorist financing, of the Mujahedin-e Khalq, known as the MEK, to add its aliases National Council of Resistance (NCR) and National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI). That Executive Order blocks the assets of organizations and individuals linked to terrorism. The decision also clarifies that the designation includes the U.S. representative office of NCRI and all its other offices worldwide, and that the designation of the People’s Mujahedin of Iran ("PMOI") as an alias of the MEK includes the PMOI’s U.S. representative office and all other offices worldwide.

Basically the US Army in Iraq is arming and supporting the MEK and allowing them to make attacks into Iran from safe bases in Iraq and are surprised that the Iranians are retaliating. All this when the MEK are classed as terrorists by the US and Europe Governments.

3. chieftiff

I have to agree Bergen, I find it quite scary that the guy is either a complete nutjob with an air of reason or a reasoned guy made out to be a complete nutjob!

Isn't politics fun!
  4. I always wait until his speeches have been translated by Professor Juan Cole. The translations bear little resemblance to what is reported by MSM.

RM :thumright:
  5. chieftiff

At least his translation is likely to be more detailed than the BBC who seem to wash over the story merely quoting everyone else's headlines.

I'm a little intrigued as to why the University would invite the Iranian President, Bollinger defended the decision on the basis that it was an issue of free speech when criticised by US media. Before the guy gets a chance to say a word he is provocatively "insulted" by his "guest" I get the idea this was a media circus from the start, more for the benefit of Bollingers' career and the Universities corporate image than anything else, or was it merely to stimulate the debate in that, oh so innocently academic way!
  6. I can not see why people in England are so fascinated by Middle east politicians when our own are up to every trick in the book to make themselves wealthy, study our own lot , morons like Mervyn King governor of the BofE, Cambridge and Harvard educated but could not stop a run on the banks in his own country. Bit like Broon, been 2I/C of this country for 10 years but is now telling us another load of crap how he can improve the lot of England, If people are fooled by this nonsence they deserve the controllers theve got.