Illegal use of White Ensign

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by Seaweed, Dec 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

I've just seen a pic of a boat belongiong to a local rowing club and it's wearing a White Ensign!!!!!!!!!!! Hiow dare they ..

Who can I write to to get these walts an official bollocking?
  2. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Get yourself a copy of QRRN - that contains lots of gory details about the wearing of colours, and IIRC identifies who you can contact about improper use of colours.
  3. Best to check if the boat was a tender registered to the Royal Yacht Squadron at Cowes as they are officially endorsed to fly the White Ensign. If it wasn't then report their butts to Captain of the Port staff in semaphore tower, you can also advise them that it is not warranted to be flown by them. Even if it is registered to the RYS it must still be carrying a member on official business.
  4. Seaweed

RYS? I think not!

Flagwagger, thanks for the lead, I was delighted to find that QRRN is available online these days and it led me to the Merchant Shipping Act 1995 (also online) under which it is a criminal offence to fly a White Ensign when not entitled. I shall have some fun with this even though it does not say 'shall suffer death .. ' only fine and/or imprisonment.
  5. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

The Royal Yacht Squadron flew the current (RN) ensign long before (1829) the RN did (1864) whatever you may see in non contemporary paintings of canvas and cannons.

I don't know all of the history of the RYS and its ensign but the prefix 'Royal' may give would-be outrage bus passengers a clue. Seaweed, make sure that you have a ticket for the ourtage bus before you get on.

On the otherhand, any matelot or booty who has ever taken out a narrowboat with a bunch of RN/RM oppos will have flown a white ensign from it for giggles. Not entitled but who is going to moan?
  6. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

'fraid so, RYS's Ensign is the White Ensign issued by Admiralty Warrant in 1829. I've seen one on a narrowboat, if the owner is a member they are entitled to fly it on any of their craft! Often see red one's and occasionally blue, I generally use it to identify what level of tosser owns the boat.
  7. Be careful with this. Only commissioned officers can demand to see a warrant for the ensign (This is written in the small print on the back of the Admiralty Warrant). So if they demand to see your ID card for proof of your rank, you could find yourself in more hot water than you want to be in.
  8. All sounds like a lot of bother to me. As long as they weren't larking about whilst flying the flag we will at least avoid unsavoury media articles.

9. :rofl: :thumright: :clap:
  10. you want ME to stop flying mine from MY flag pole in MY front garden as well?

11. Seaweed where did you find QRRN online?
  12. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

More likely to be Jack and Royal on holiday than RYS. Are you guilty chieftiff?
  13. Just stick a limpet mine on the craft.....job done
  14. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I may, have been involved in an exped on NB Pussers Rum (renamed Sundowner because it gained an unhealthy reputation) where a huge White Ensign was displayed until the Army rugby team attempted a midnight raid to steal it in Bath. Then again I may not have.

You don't see them often on narrowboats, they are regarded as a bit snobbish because of the inferred association with RYS, more usual to see a small red one on the tiller. I've seen several different one's even a defaced (Army) ensign at the Crick show a couple of years back. People must get them made up because you can't seem to buy them (other than red)
  15. Seaweed

I didn't mean the RYS can't use the White Ensign, of course they can, I only meant that the lubbers in the boat in question are hardly RYS material.

QRRN -> or other chapters as required.
  16. Interesting thread Seaweed. Can you please keep us informed of developments, and if tickets will be sold for the keel-hauling/flogging round the fleet?
  17. I actually lived on a narrow boat for a number of years (Monday to Friday - home for the weekend!!) and I saw a lot of unwarranted (literally and metaphorically!) White Ensigns. Indeed, 'The Birmingham Navy' seemed to fly a lot of White Ensigns. Maybe some of these land locked gin palaces were long distance members of the RYS, which as no doubt you all know, is based at Cowes on the IOW. There were also a surprising number of Blue -maybe they were all memers of a 'Royal' yacht club........
  18. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

While you're on the warpath, Seaweed, perhaps you'd like to have a quiet word with all those naughty Engerlaand fans at Wembley, etc., who also display the White Ensign incorrectly - especially when adorned with graffiti... :roll:
  19. I always thought the rather large ensign we had in Poznan ('91/'92?) with 'The Dog's Bollocks' on it was rather tasteful.
  20. Could be some passed over Two & Half who has finally got his own command.