Iliotibial Band Syndrome (Runners knee)

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by dabbzie, Sep 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think i have the above. When i run i have pain on the outside of my knee normally my left. Some times it is very painful, sometimes i dont even know its there. 3 months ago I went to a proper running shop to get my gait analysed, no problems. The pain has started getting more frequent but does come and go. I dont get any hip pain or glute discomfort. I have a doctors appointment monday who will probably tell me there's nothing wrong. I dont have any pain walking, rowing, cycling, swimming or up stairs, only very sometimes downstairs (if inflamed i guess)

Any advise, i have my RPC (RNAC) november 8th and i must keep running as its my weakest subject.
  2. You obviously know loads more than any "doctor" so I font know why you're bothering to see your GP.

With that attitude, you'll go far in the RN.
  3. thanks for your advise angry
    love you to :love4:
  4. I suffered from ITBS earlier this year and the pain was unbearable. I went from running 70 - 80 miles a week to not even being able to walk up the stairs, so I know how you feel.

I went to see the doc onboard and was referred to a physio who basically told me not to do any running. It was a killer, but if you want to heal, you'll have to knock it on the head for a few weeks or even months. I resorted to cycling or using a cross-trainer instead of either road running or a treadmill and that's really the only advice I can give.

A few months of no running saw the pain vanish and now I'm back on the running again - but with slightly relaxed mileage! If you try to power through the pain (like I initially did by using a compression bandage, coupled with ibuprofen cream and ralgex!!), you'll just end up doing more damage.
  5. thanks tomleecee, was thinking of buying a support, hoping ive caught it early enough for it not to be too serious. Hoping doc will refer me to physio. I do agree the pain can be excruciating at times.

Cheers again.
  6. If running is aggravating it lay off until you get it checked out.

I got ITB a few years ago. I stopped running for 2 months and did other phys instead. My fitness improved infact as I could get more volume in per week when not pounding the streets and trails.

That said, you've had your Dr appointment by now
  7. i have seen the doc though not my own doc which im pleased about (he normally says its growing pains, an i aint kidding!) he has recommended an MRI scan and should be done in about 4-6 weeks. Whether or not this is OTT, as long it gets sorted and look forward to a recovery soon