Iliotibial Band Syndrome (Runners knee)

dabbzie

Lantern Swinger
I think i have the above. When i run i have pain on the outside of my knee normally my left. Some times it is very painful, sometimes i dont even know its there. 3 months ago I went to a proper running shop to get my gait analysed, no problems. The pain has started getting more frequent but does come and go. I dont get any hip pain or glute discomfort. I have a doctors appointment monday who will probably tell me there's nothing wrong. I dont have any pain walking, rowing, cycling, swimming or up stairs, only very sometimes downstairs (if inflamed i guess)

Any advise, i have my RPC (RNAC) november 8th and i must keep running as its my weakest subject.

A

angrydoc

You obviously know loads more than any "doctor" so I font know why you're bothering to see your GP.

With that attitude, you'll go far in the RN.

I suffered from ITBS earlier this year and the pain was unbearable. I went from running 70 - 80 miles a week to not even being able to walk up the stairs, so I know how you feel.

I went to see the doc onboard and was referred to a physio who basically told me not to do any running. It was a killer, but if you want to heal, you'll have to knock it on the head for a few weeks or even months. I resorted to cycling or using a cross-trainer instead of either road running or a treadmill and that's really the only advice I can give.

A few months of no running saw the pain vanish and now I'm back on the running again - but with slightly relaxed mileage! If you try to power through the pain (like I initially did by using a compression bandage, coupled with ibuprofen cream and ralgex!!), you'll just end up doing more damage.

dabbzie

Lantern Swinger
thanks tomleecee, was thinking of buying a support, hoping ive caught it early enough for it not to be too serious. Hoping doc will refer me to physio. I do agree the pain can be excruciating at times.

Cheers again.

If running is aggravating it lay off until you get it checked out.

I got ITB a few years ago. I stopped running for 2 months and did other phys instead. My fitness improved infact as I could get more volume in per week when not pounding the streets and trails.

That said, you've had your Dr appointment by now

dabbzie

Lantern Swinger
i have seen the doc though not my own doc which im pleased about (he normally says its growing pains, an i aint kidding!) he has recommended an MRI scan and should be done in about 4-6 weeks. Whether or not this is OTT, as long it gets sorted and look forward to a recovery soon

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Miscellaneous 0
R The Fleet Air Arm 7
C Current Affairs 82