If you thought the journey to HMS Raleigh was tough!!!

Discussion in 'Nearest & Dearest' started by happymum, May 17, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. An open letter to all parents, siblings, friends of recruits going into phase one basic training from a mother who knows.
    If the road to Raleigh has been tough , what with interviews, tests, medical, and fitness , let me just say " that's the easy bit"
    As a parent of a young recruit I genuinely thought my lad had done the hard bit and 10 weeks basic training was going to be pretty much a formality. Yes it would be tough but nothing prepares a parent for the emotional roller coaster that those 10 weeks bring.
    My lad was itching to get there ,had done his fitness,we seemed to spend an arm and leg on necessary!! items listed on the kit list.
    His first text home,he wouldn't call ( no privacy) was "they're very shouty",but all seemed well and he settled signed his contract and looked forward to the weeks to come.What he or us didn't expect was the terrible home sickness,nothing we could say would make him see it was homesickness and not the fact he had made the wrong decision,or he was to young.With hindsight its a good job the new recruits can't leave for 4 weeks.
    This all passed and nothing more was said although I believe the staff did give him a shoulder to lean on.
    Next issue kit muster failings, then warnings for personal organisation.To cut a long story short he seemed to accrue to many warnings to quickly.
    He ended up having to fight for his place on the course and justify why the Royal Navy should keep him.
    The upshot of all this is a determined , strong , incredible fit young man who has made the grade,he has proven himself to his family , his friends and the Royal Navy.
    His passing out parade was probably one of the proudest moments of his and our lives.

The reason for the letter is just to say be prepared for the highs and lows,you aren't going through this alone, and if your child does cockup, and they probably will at some stage, remember it's not meant to be easy ,the Navy only want the best, but your kid has earned their place on the course,the Navy want them to succeed.
    Good luck.
    • Like Like x 15
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 6
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Good post.

It's probably more difficult to pass selection & achieve pass-out than ever before. The Royal Navy is numerically smaller than ever before and the standards now would simply mean many of us who served previously may not have achieved the modern standards for entry, let alone to achieve pass-out.

The psychometric pass mark, the medical standards & physical fitness standards to even begin training are at their highest ever. Training is 40% longer initially than when I joined, and 50% longer in phase two...that's before you even start doing the job at sea. For families & partners, it is "emotional" without doubt.

Be thankful he didn't join the Royal Marines - initial training is more than triple the length and there are not one, but four physically demaning opportunities to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in week 31 - the week before pass-out. :confused:

Next week, filming will start on "Sailor School", a follow-on from 'Commando School', filmed last year. Should be interesting in view of this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-32770564 As if training wasn't hard enough....;)

Well done to your son...and you for supporting him along the way!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Thank you
  4. Hi, I am going through the very roller coaster at the moment. My son is in week 4 of basic training at raleigh as we speak. He has received 2 warnings for personal organisation.. He is a very determined young man (he is only 16!) he is doing so well in all other aspects. I am so worried that he will fail because of untidiness. It would be such a shame. I keep wishing the time away roll on his Pass out parade. Well done to your son. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I must admit i was doing ok, until the weekend just goneā€¦. It is actually quite hard.
  6. At least your lot haven't started a whole kerfuffle on social media, like that BRNC mob. Wonder how the little darlings are getting on?:)
  7. I believe they all passed their 'ologies on Day One.

Ap-ologies, that is.
  8. They got ologies? Well what can I say. The legacy of Nelson is safe after all. :)
  9. It's grim down South!
    I recall my brother telling me 0f his experience when joining Fisgard (Then across the road from Raleigh)
    He handed in his Identity Card as instructed, but had lost his Ration Book.
    (Up until about 1950 this was part of the joining routine)
    No Ration Book--No Meal Ticket he was told.
    I didn't believe him when he told me he didn't eat for a year.
  10. Hi
    I really feel for you, my lad is 17 and his personal organisation had always been dreadful.I suppose the one good thing is that as a under 18 year old, the staff have an obligation to contact you with their concerns , so at least youre aware.
    I dreaded my phone ringing , I was asked once if my lad had ever done his own laundry!!!!,never in fact didnt know where the washing machine was.
    My point is they learn , these lads are tougher than we think and more determined.Suggest to him as I did to mine to just check and than check again....everything.
    You only have 6 weeks to get through and it does go quickly.In real terms I think its as hard for us at home.
    Good luck
  11. Ninja_Stoker

All recruits are briefed by their AFCOs and again whilst on PRNC to ensure they learn how to wash & iron clothes.

Needless to say, a lot of young lads struggle because they sit on their backside waiting for Mum to do it for them.

I was briefing a group of future joiners & remarked that a little while ago one of my candidates was sacked because he could not wash and iron his clothes. He was given three opportunities to get it cracked but failed miserably because he never bothered to learn.

"How daft is that?" I asked them, "Sacked because you cannot iron a shirt? He's spent the last two years working part-time in a hand-carwash instead"

"I know" came back the sheepish response from one red-faced young man "That was me". :confused:
    • Like Like x 2
  12. To the OP - I understand the concerns that you have for your son based on the challenges he is facing during initial training. I'd like to claim that I'm a grown up now (as I have adult children of my own) but as many have previously pointed out being a Matelot and growing up are mutually exclusive. But you do need to put the trials of HMS Raleigh into perspective, your Son has joined a Military Organization whose primary purpose if required by HMG is to go in harms way. I joined HMS Raleigh in May 1980, 2 years and 4 days after walking through those gates my mother received a telephone call informing her that my Ship had just been sunk in the South Atlantic
  13. Hi All, I understand what you are all saying, i am just frustrated. My son washed his own clothes and ironed his own clothes and worked full time up to the time that he joined Raleigh. He is just messy!! I have told him to concentrate and keep everything as it should be.I am sure he will be fine.. And a warning will give him a kick up the backside that he needs. When we has passed he will be part of an amazing organisation and will do his country proud.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. I'm still messy today - my wife will vouch for that. I'm sure he will be fine (as Ninja Stoker has stated the RN has invested a huge amount in selecting him and getting to this point and as a pure business decision want to see an ROI unless it is neither in his or the Service best interest), and don't forget his new ship mates will also dig out blind to help him.
  15. And sorry 1 more thing - I entered Raleigh as a Junior Radio Operator 2nd Class and left the Royal Navy as a Lieutenant Commander, and I can promise you I have the imprint of several sets of footwear permanently recorded on my backside from numerous well meaning individuals.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. My son was the world worst, and he now comes home and inspects the house, he will tell me inspection is and so many hours!!! I sometimes wonder if he is joking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Thanks all!!! Its good to hear from others who are and have experienced it all Lol !!!:)
  18. I recall ringing my dad week 6 and telling him I thought it was a bit shit. He replied that if I thought about coming home he'd change the locks or move without telling me, but he would leave a duvet and a cardboard box in the doorway of the co-op for me to take up residence on the street.

That focused the mind.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  19. Messy? People who know me cannot believe that I was either in the RN or a submariner!! My last job had a clear desk policy - they gave up with me! But I always know where everything is and I hate it when SWMBO tidies up and I cannot find anything.

I even have a 'Mr Messy' T-shirt.

But maybe get through Raleigh first hey?
  20. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, similar scenario.

When I was leaving to get the train to Raleigh my Dad asked me to pop into the newsagents on the way to the station. He gave me a postcard to put in the window. It read "Room to Let".
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4