If we had these things in our days !

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Nicks, May 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It just occured to me that if in our dark and distant past they had a website like this for people joining up at Ganges how many of us would have actually joined up ?

Imagine the reports back and when you would ask for any advice about Shotley, it would probably have come back, "DONT DO IT !!!!!!!!!!""

Dont get me wrong I think these forums are a great place for people today to have a look and see what the future holds for them,but go back 30 years and I reckon they would have had a serious recruitment shortage.

All the same I have never regretted for one day not joining up .

After all I met Moondog there on our first day of Naval Service together 8O
  2. I think back then and as a NS man you are a trifle older than me, life was like that, Yes the living accomodation was pretty spartan, discipline was pretty arbritary, but there was a purpose, and I as a volunteer just looked on it all as something to get through to get to the goal I had set for myself. I must say I find the desire to know all before you get there quite interesting, I turned up with the kit list suggested and that was that,.
  3. National Service Man !!

Im only 49 now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like you I turned up with all the required kit and got on with it.
  4. The worst thing about joining at Raleigh was just before signing the contract. A Petty Officer gave a warning that once your signature was on the paper you were contracted for 9 years in the RN followed by a further 3 years in the reserves. He then went on to say that anyone who had changed their mind could fall out and would be given a rail ticket home. Nobody in my entry refused to sign. Anyone in a different entry have someone drop out?
  5. Basic psychology really. Had they taken you aside to a small room and asked you individually the result might have been different... but they had a group of teenagers and were basically asking which of you would admit to homesickness/not being man enough to go through with it. It takes a lot of guts to own up and stand out from the crowd.

Nicks, there is a nice simple answer I have. Had you believed the horror stories from the G Spot (which you might not have done) and seen videos taken from mobile phones, then I think it can be safely said that the G Spot would have closed in 1907 as unfit for human endurance - well unfit for boy sailors anyway! :D :lol: Then pink and fluffy training would have come along early and women would have fought at the Battle of Jutland! :twisted:

For the record when I joined the ROC as an innocent 16 year old in 1979 my dad told me lots of horror stories about his National Service days in the RAF in the 50s and told me that I must lie in my own bed, etc. It didn't make a jot of difference - I didn't believe it could be like that today. :oops: Anyway I never admitted anything to my parents afterwards! :wink: ...and loved my 11 years in the organisation. A sort of softy forces, a bit like grown-up air cadets without the good facilities!!! :roll: So had I got through the medical and joined the RN at 16 instead I would still have happily gone off to the G Spot.... and cried myself to sleep every night, during the day, in the heads, when shouted at on the Parade Ground....... :oops: :oops: :oops: :(
  6. A little mystery hurts no one; you can have too much information, leading to confusion perhaps?
  7. A lad left the first morning as I recall.
    I only remember he had a red jersey on.
    You could stay the first night and then leave, or you were in for the six weeks and then you could leave.
    At least that's what I remember happened as it was a long time ago.
    One other lad left after the basic training as, according to him, he missed his motorbike. I remember that as his name and mine were the same, except he had my first name as a surname etc.
    I turned up with exactly what it said on the list supplied, promising to catch a certain train to Plymouth.
    A group of us stared at the deck of the Torpoint Ferry on the way across to Raleigh.
    Surprisingly though everyone there seemed perfectly ok to me and I took to it relatively easy. Especially so as I'd had to do things such as ironing and proper hospital bed corners for years, plus getting up early, and I'd earned my pocket money cleaning the familys' shoes.
  8. Sophistication. The RN struggles in todays job market to attract, and retain, the right people. In theory manpower is in balance, but there are a couple of places in the profile that it's very vulnerable.

The service competes with all kinds of other prospective employers who are offering huge amounts of information about their offerings. Couple that with the intentional chenge in ones environment on starting basic training which is alien to most people then there is an element of mystique. Given the level of information available about other opportunities then it's inevitable that candidates will expect to be able to find out.

What is interesting here is the range of responses, and reactions to those responses. Questions are ansswered by people with reasonably recent experience, or downright antiquated experience of establishments that don't exist any more, but there is little opportunity for filtering by the person asking the question. Some people ask a question, then disappear, others take what they can over a period and others kick the arse out of it. It'll be interesting to see how many of each group actually get in, and get through training.

Looking back seventeen years I'm really not sure what might have happened. I was used to using networked computers, my uni had extensive suites and JANet had quite an active bulletin board community, but that was quite narrow.

I do remember Kings Cross station, spotting the others clearly on the way to Totnes; dog robbers, short hair and suitcases. Eye contact and the odd nod was about it at the station, but over the course of the rail journey we started to relax a bit. The posturing and mind games didn't actually start until we were actually in divisions and classes at Dartmouth, it's amusing to see it start online even before being given a start date.
  9. Couldnt have put it better myself.

But then again I still reckon it was better to go in fully in the dark about what was about to happen to you.Otherwise different people read different things into it.Also if you were a young sprog,who would you choose to believe in half of these posts on here ??
  10. I think the main reason why sites like this are useful is that a fairly large part of what the RN sees as its recruitment pool, has little to no knowledge of what the Navy is, what it does and why the hell it might beat working down McDonalds.

Correct me if I am wrong, but historically there was a greater civilian awareness of the purpose of the Armed Forces and the opportunities provided by them as a career and this modern lack of knowledge is why all the services have to advertise so heavily now.

As for Nicks comment about who's posts young sprogs would believe on here. I think most youngsters these days generally take what they read on forums with a heavy pinch of salt, RR and ARSe are not the only place infested with Walts.
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You were lucky!

When I joined Raleigh, we had to plump our OWN pillows FFS. Of course it's all different now....
  12. pillows!

f***ing pillows!!!!

no I can't do it, haven't done the old fart PJT yet
  13. Sorry misread your post son, your are but a sprog.
  15. My warrant dictated the route, home to Glasgow, Glasgow to London Euston, underground to Kings X then on to Totnes.

The college sent buses to collect us from Totnes, one for each Division and we got split then. Deposited onto the parade ground and marched to the accomdation.
  16. Must have been getting soft by then, the Euston/Kings Cross route cost 10/6 extra and Pusser wasn't going to pay that, we were Waverly, via Britol to Dartmouth. Because we were 'late' arrivals, we did get a bus from the ferry, the main party who arrived from london got a lorry for their kit and had theuir first experience of drill, marching up to the college with apprpriate encouragement from the Parade Training Officer (the excellent Frank Trickey) and his ever helpful staff of GIs.