If this is true, it is a sad indictment on the RN

Found this on t'interweb - posted today, so very current. This defies logic and belief, especially the alleged attitude of the Chief. Any responses?

I attended the Wales Air Show in Swansea today with my 9yo daughter who wants to join the mob as a Surgeon. The Red Arrows, Battle of Britain Memorial flight and Typhoon display were superb BUT ..........

A huge array of displays by Army and RAF with weapons, vehicles and simulators but I couldn’t find anything from the Andrew. As the displays finished an oppo pointed out that there was an RN display we’d not seen. I took my daughter over to it and it was basically a feckin transit van with a few phots on its bulkheads and some banners outside. Inside was a CPO and a Killick Wren both dressed in 5s (dunno if that’s correct today). When we approached they both said “sorry we’re closing for the day”. I introduced myself as ex-RN and explained that my daughter was interested in joining one day and my little girl asked “what is it like to serve in the Navy” the CPO said “ask your dad”.

It’s rare as rocking horse shit for me to be speechless but I was really taken aback. I know it’s a shitty draft especially on weekenders but we walked away and I felt my daughter was distinctly unimpressed. Sad really

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Not setting out to refute or defend anyone but in my experience the Navy never has had the cash to invest a great deal in public military events (PME) with regard static displays, it was the same when I was a kid. As ever, two sides to a story.

Helicopters landing in schools, Royal Marines Band visits, etc, yield results but the hard facts are that although "product placement" may yield long term aspirations to join the service, the government insists on the services producing "expression on interest" (EOI) forms being completed by members of the public to justify public spending. (No EOI, no funding)

What we don't know, of course is whether the guy rocked-up after the close of play expecting his wealth of experience to warrant undivided attention. In my experience, when attending PME's, a large number of ex-forces punters simply want gizzits, don't believe you when told we haven't got any and then want to regale you with their tales of pissed-up antics whilst whoring in Honky-Fid and Singers "when we had a real Navy". After eight or twelve hours of this, Mother Teresa would probably flash, too. ;)

The RN recruiting van at the Shuttleworth Fly Navy were very busy and had no end of time for the public looking around the van they had there, answering questions and giving out gizzits. Obviously a different crew (I think they said they were based at RAF Wittering).

Found this on t'interweb - posted today, so very current. This defies logic and belief, especially the alleged attitude of the Chief. Any responses?

I attended the Wales Air Show in Swansea today with my 9yo daughter who wants to join the mob as a Surgeon. The Red Arrows, Battle of Britain Memorial flight and Typhoon display were superb BUT ..........

A huge array of displays by Army and RAF with weapons, vehicles and simulators but I couldn’t find anything from the Andrew. As the displays finished an oppo pointed out that there was an RN display we’d not seen. I took my daughter over to it and it was basically a feckin transit van with a few phots on its bulkheads and some banners outside. Inside was a CPO and a Killick Wren both dressed in 5s (dunno if that’s correct today). When we approached they both said “sorry we’re closing for the day”. I introduced myself as ex-RN and explained that my daughter was interested in joining one day and my little girl asked “what is it like to serve in the Navy” the CPO said “ask your dad”.

It’s rare as rocking horse shit for me to be speechless but I was really taken aback. I know it’s a shitty draft especially on weekenders but we walked away and I felt my daughter was distinctly unimpressed. Sad really
I'm sure I've had this conversation with @Ninja_Stoker on here before. I took some pupils to an Armed Forces careers day and was a little embarrassed by the distinct lack of the Senior Service, (pretty much the same amount of people that you saw). The other two had everything from planes to tanks , from a Blacksmith to a Vet. As he said then, we don't need to recruit, so why spend money on something we don't need.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The RN recruiting van at the Shuttleworth Fly Navy were very busy and had no end of time for the public looking around the van they had there, answering questions and giving out gizzits. Obviously a different crew (I think they said they were based at RAF Wittering).
I suspect the issue is purely related to timing rather than and unwillingness to engage and discuss future career options with young people, but I wasn't there myself.

The RAF continue to impress with their extremely expensive aerial recruiting assets, the running costs of which we can only dream of acquiring. The Army have an abundance of portable military hardware available for display. The RN, short of having a PME in a port location, tend to be a bit more strapped when it comes to visiting ships and submarines (although HMS Iron Duke has done some sterling work in, this area, when feasible). Granted, Royal Marines abseiling from helicopters and storming beaches from landing craft is a perfect advert, but when it comes to increasing applications and delivering recruits, the penny pinching aspect of recruitment bites hard and permits limited opportunities unfortunately.

Just to add @dapperdunn, we actually DO need to recruit now but until the holders of the purse-strings ease their vice-like grip, we will inevitably see a gradual decline in applications, unfortunately.

(although HMS Iron Duke has done some sterling work in, this area, when feasible).
Tried to visit her when she visited Hull and had a 'Ship open to Visitors' earlier this year as I was on her when we first visited our affiliated city in the 90's. I was saddened to be told it was a ticket only event and wouldn't be allowed on.

Tried to visit her when she visited Hull and had a 'Ship open to Visitors' earlier this year as I was on her when we first visited our affiliated city in the 90's. I was saddened to be told it was a ticket only event and wouldn't be allowed on.
That must have been a pisser.:(

The only chance I would have of visiting an 'old ship' would be to visit Chile :oops:
... or Pakistan :eek:

I heard that as well so didn't bother. Only to find out one of my wife's friends (ex-RN, female), rocked up without a ticket and got on.
(Mind you, she is a bit on the tasty side......:rolleyes:)

That must have been a pisser.:(

The only chance I would have of visiting an 'old ship' would be to visit Chile :oops:
... or Pakistan :eek:
I thought the same thing - 3 21's all in Pakistan, then I realised that out of 6 sea going ships (76 - 00):
1 Ikara Leander -sold to NZ and now scrapped.
3 21's - sold to Pakistan as mentioned.
1 23 - still going RN
1 Hunt MCMV - still going RN

So still a slight chance of a call round - mind you, left 17 years ago so its a good bet I was on said ships about the time half the SR mess was in nappies!!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
I was working a couple a day's a week in Hull AFCO between Oct and May, helping stamp out unemployment in Yorkshire, when Iron Duke (old ships) visited.

I gather there wasn't a public SOTV unfortunately as it was aimed solely at potential joiners - even their parents didn't get a look-in, sadly.

I didn't get to visit it myself, so not 100% on that.

I was working a couple a day's a week in Hull AFCO between Oct and May, helping stamp out unemployment in Yorkshire, when Iron Duke (old ships) visited.

I gather there wasn't a public SOTV unfortunately as it was aimed solely at potential joiners - even their parents didn't get a look-in, sadly.

I didn't get to visit it myself, so not 100% on that.
It was in the Hull Daily Mail and also on the City of Culture website. Unfortunately I didn't even dream that it would be ticket only as I would have found out if I'd checked either of those esteemed publications :)

Why are you putting the "H" in? Everybody I've met from there calls it ULL

(two of my line AEM's in Afghan, both from ULL, went to the same school, hated other each back them but became best mates in the RN).
I'm not from 'Ull originally, Mrs Taztiff is though. I just can't get into the knack of losing my 'haitches'.
And don't get me on bleeding chip spice!!

Never been there, seen it loads of times on channel 4's staple diet of "Benefit Britain" programmes.

Not planning on rushing up there for a look. Went to Darlington one for a funeral (or Darlo), that was close enough.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Miscellaneous 0
Tas-ape Blue Jokes 4
4to8 Current Affairs 1