If these are Navy Leaders, we really are sunk

Purple_twiglet

War Hero
HMS Cardiff's last visit to Cardiff before she paid off. We were open to visitors and some doris wandered over to the Lynx which was ranged on deck, took off her kit and started rubbing herself all over it whilst her oppo took pictures of her. Had there not been kids coming up the gangway I'd have delayed our response to turfing them off.

Weirdest duty ever.

Did Mrs MLP and Leroy forget what ship you were on again?

I've been re-watching the "Royal Navy School" recently (too much free time, alas) and, as a qualified teacher, it's interesting to see how they approach it. The point made about a lack of quiet authority gets to the point - as a teacher, I often shout at classes until they realise what I want - quiet and attention - but I rarely shout at individuals. Not that I don't punish or correct them (I'm known for being strict but fair), but there are other ways to let them know I am disappointed, angry or the like. The result - generally well-behaved classes with good attainment and no resentment, despite my strictness.

Some of the stuff on RNS is painfully bad, like kicking a lad out on pass-out day. I had always thought that the forces had a place for the well-meaning, over-enthused tit. The rather self-important officer who kicked him out (for it is she) struck me as Having To Make A Point. The attitude of those around her seemed hardly supportive. I remember reading in an old book that RN officers' should consider their sailors' faults their own responsibility, rather than hanging them out to dry. "Sailors have few rights, but they have a right to good officers." It's a right the RN shirks, it seems.

I'm wondering now whether to put myself through Raleigh. I think I will - it's worth it - but some of those officers would be miserable failures as teachers.

Last edited:
G

guestm

I've been re-watching the "Royal Navy School" recently (too much free time, alas) and, as a qualified teacher, it's interesting to see how they approach it. The point made about a lack of quiet authority gets to the point - as a teacher, I often shout at classes until they realise what I want - quiet and attention - but I rarely shout at individuals. Not that I don't punish or correct them (I'm known for being strict but fair), but there are other ways to let them know I am disappointed, angry or the like. The result - generally well-behaved classes with good attainment and no resentment, despite my strictness.

Some of the stuff on RNS is painfully bad, like kicking a lad out on pass-out day. I had always thought that the forces had a place for the well-meaning, over-enthused tit. The rather self-important officer who kicked him out (for it is she) struck me as Having To Make A Point. The attitude of those around her seemed hardly supportive. I remember reading in an old book that RN officers' should consider their sailors' faults their own responsibility, rather than hanging them out to dry. "Sailors have few rights, but they have a right to good officers." It's a right the RN shirks, it seems.

I'm wondering now whether to put myself through Raleigh. I think I will - it's worth it - but some of those officers would be miserable failures as teachers.
I vote you should definitely 'put yourself through Raleigh' and point all this out when you arrive on the very first day.

Seadog

War Hero
I had always thought that the forces had a place for the well-meaning, over-enthused tit.
In General Kurt Hammerstein von Equord's (other generals are erroneously available) taxonomy of officer types, that type; energetic and stupid was and is the worst kind, dangerous - get rid. I apply this equally to Ratings and Officers.

Der General could find a use for lazy and stupid but then, he was land centric. At sea, lazy and stupid can be just as dangerous.

For completeness; energetic and clever are good but the lazy and clever are those best suited to higher command. They don't flap and think clearly when the adrenaline is brown.

Me? I was once energetic and clever but now I feel knackered and thick as mince. I'm therefore suited for retirement and writing huffy letters to the Times and making opinionated posts on RR and ARRSE.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H The Fleet 18
Jimmy_Green Nautical Jokes 8
Bad CO Site Issues 14