If my partner also joins the RN, will the RN try to keep us on the same base?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by TrialsLife, Mar 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

I've got my start date for later this year, my missis has just qualified as a Nurse and has just put her application in for the RN. I know that there are hospitals in Birmingham and Portsmouth where RN Nurses are based.

My question is, if I was based in Portsmouth, would there be any consideration as to basing her at Portsmouth also?

I know what pen-knife I need to take to Raleigh, Argos has one with an intergrated iron.
  2. I understand needs of the service will always come first. If anything I'm just after the likelyhood of us being based in the same place.

Going in as ETME

3. But Drafty can be a complete bastard.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Too true TS - In the mid 80's WEs wanting a Guzz draft were sent to Pompey and vice versa. I met a couple of lads who had played the game and got what they wanted by asking for the opposite....
  5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I think SJRM_RN sums it up pretty much: Maybe, maybe not.

The problem with asking a question such as that on a forum is that some may join in the assumption they will be drafted to the same area as their partner because some bloke on Rum Ration claimed to have achieved just that for the majority of his/her service. That is later translated into "I was lied to by my AFCO".

There is cateorically no guarantee that you should routinely expect to serve in the same area. You increase the odds in your favour by submitting the same drafting preference area, but beyond that it's pretty much luck of the draw. Being married doesn't afford preference over someone that also wants the same billet because that area is the shortest distance to travel home to their family. Naval nurses should join in the assumption they could be drafted to Gibraltar & can be operationally deployed to Afghanistan for six month stints.

As ET(ME)'s go to sea with alarming frequency in relation to Naval Nurses, being based in the same area isn't the same as actually being in the same area on a day to day basis. You should anticipate 60 per cent of your time deployed and 40 per cent at base in a 3-year cycle with up to 660 days away from UK over a rolling 3-year period.

Best of luck.
  6. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Nina, as a matter of interest, is there a policy on married couples serving on the same sea going draft?
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

I'm not aware of any formal policy either way on that score. It may happen but the odds of a married NN & ET(ME) serving on the same ship would certainly be remote.

Agreed, it would be very rarely achieved by those in the wardroom. :D
  8. Our running partner ship out in Bahrain a couple of years back had an ET and a Muppet onboard that were well over the 660. When they rang the rear link (UPO) to find out what the script was, they were inofrmed that their waivers were already with the UPO. Slightly confused as they hadn't signed one, the lads looked into it and it turned out their DO's had kindly signed their waivers the previous month without their consent or knowledge.

Decent twats spings to mind.
  9. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

I was thinking more along the lines of a Stoker and a Stokeress or the like
  10. As things have changed so much in recent years, If they were to serve together would they have a private cabin en-suite with a double bunk?
  11. Thanks all for the advice.

I am aware of the frequency that ETME's are at sea. I was just thinking that having us both living in the same accomodation/area would make things a little easier.

Will just have to see how it goes!

Thanks again.