If an application for officer has failed, can you still pursue a career as a rating?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Dicky13, Apr 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi

Basically I just have a quick question. I am in my second year of university and have wanted to join the navy since 16 as a rating. However, through gathering decent qualifications, got pushed to progress and further my academic qualifications.
    So now, I am in the position to apply as officer, I do not intend to fail or I wouldn't bother. However, I understand the process is a long and difficult one. I have done a lot of my own research, visited the careers office, read the website, Naval News etc. and talked to relatives/friends, who have been or are currently in service. I feel that one way or another (officer or rating) I would like the life experience, skills and qualifications that comes with being part of the RN.
    Therefore, basically I wanted to know that if an application as an officer does fail, can you be offered a rating job? Or is your motivation for the job questioned?
    Sorry about the long winded explanation around a simple question.
    Any answer would be really appreciated :)

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Yes .......
  3. If you are unsuccessful in your officer application you will not be 'offered a rating job', as it's not some sort of consolation prize. If you have the requisite RT scores and academic qualifications (if required) then you may well be recommended to join as a rating, in which case you will have to apply separately for your chosen job.

I'm going to call the Crayoning Police and see if you're in breach of the regulations, although it is true he did ask for any answer.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Plenty of people in the lower ranks have degrees.

I've never been an officer (I know, it's hard to tell) but I'd imagine it's something you'd really want to do, not something you'd do just because, perhaps, you could.

Best of luck whatever route you choose.
  5. Thanks for the quick replies, I understand that a rating job is no consolation prize and are not just handed out, I have equal respect for all the roles in the service. Officer is something I really want to do. I think there's a lot to be gained down either path and I would like the opportunity to apply as a rating and continue to join the navy if it was decided that for whatever reason I could not be an officer.
  6. It's a little worrying that you are at the beginning of the application process, Dicky, yet are already considering the possibility of not being successful. You may want to consider working on your confidence.

Which jobs appeal to you?

Job Information Packs| Royal Navy

What are you reading at Uni, by the way?
  7. I understand. It is not so much thinking I am going to fail, it is just a case of finding out all my options.
    I want to be a logistics officer on a submarine. I am currently reading geography at the University of Liverpool.
  8. As you are in your second year at the moment, I would recommend that you start your enquiry now. As you know, there is a test which all applicants have to take and it will be in your interests to put your heart and soul into doing well in it; each job is attached to a score and the Officer score is on the high side - it has part scores, which means that you have to reach a certain score in all four sections, Reasoning, Literacy, Numeracy and Mechanical Comprehension.

If you start enquiring now, you could ask about scheduling your test for before you start back for your third year, then you will have time during the summer hols to prepare properly for it.

By the way, there will be warships on the Mersey in May, so keep an eye open for opportunities to visit them and chat to people. RN Careers will probably be down there too.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

But, but....brevity, Sir. Anyway some big boy made me write yes, then ran away.

I'll try an Officer-like response:

• Like Like x 3
  10. Aye, quite excited for the Battle of Atlantic celebrations in Liverpool. All great advice, thanks.
  11. Hi,

When i was trying to get in as a S&S Officer (as it was then) competition was VERY tight and even an AIB pass only put you on the list. I passed, but did not get selected for Dartmouth. I joined as a writer at the late age of 23 then, studied task books and sat killick and PO examas as soon as possible. I'm sure its a litte different now, but not much.

You may find that life as a rating, particularly senior rating is better (in some respects) than being a junior SO.

12. What you have to remember it's all about team work. If the RN was solely orficers who's going to be in charge? (Visions of seniority arguments flashing between ears). If too heavy with junior ranks then there is a risk of a break down of discipline.

So it boils down to the age proven system of a few of them and loads of us.

Whatever you do, good luck, the whole RN thing is a larf, with a smattering of work thrown in just to let the tax payers know we are a serious fighting force!!!!!:toothy2:
  13. Having seen the standard of some YOs, I'm not so sure.....