If AIB is a fail, join as a Rating?

Norther said:
blondeblackbelt said:
I'm still waiting on my AIB date. I recieved a letter a couple of days ago telling me that my application was being processed. Did you recieve a similar letter? If so, how long after did you recieve you date?

I put in a covering letter explaining the predicament of hitting the upper age limit on the day BRNC starts in Sept. I got my medical date & AIB date within a week of the 'processing' letter you recieved (about a week after my interview). It all happened very quickly. My medical was last week and AIB is next week. Good luck to you too.

I've taken on what Maxi said, much more positive/confident about it now. Stepped up the research too. Well up for it.

That's the spirit, go for it, there is only one person who can make this happen, you.

Good luck

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread and let u all know how it went.

After 2 and a bit days of the hardest work/best fun I've had in ages, the board president called me in to tell me I have been successful and with a good mark.

With that, I want to extend my thanks to all you lot. A bit of focus goes a long way. Will let you know again when I know BRNC date.

blondeblackbelt said:
Goodluck :) Like you my AFCO told me to consider joining as a rating if I was unsuccessful at AIB. I was told they tend to only offer 20% of applicants places though...not to add pressure!

I would go along with the advice that you should not entertain the possibility of failure. However, if you do have a bad day and are not selected I wouldn't advise joining the RN as a rating subsequently. You will undoubtedly meet officers who were in your AIB group and you will probably develop a big chip on your shoulder about the fact that they are such prats and still got through. The "unfairness" of the system will burn a hole in your gut for the rest of your career. Even if you make Senior UY the prats will be Commanders when you are still a Lieutenant. Try the Army, or God forbid, the Crabs.

alacrity174

War Hero
Wardmaster. Sorry mate got to totally disagree with you on that one.

If our young sprog grunter here dips out and joins as a rating he could still get the smame treatment from someone who makes killick before him, you will allways meet knobbers in life and if he wants to be a matelot better that than a crab.

Klanga said:
Well done for passing Candidate 1 Board 1 :wink:
Thanks mate, you too! I slept so well last night. Managed to get a couple of stellas in at Basingstoke station too. Fingers crossed that we get good news through the post eh?

What sort of message does it sent out to Ratings: serving or potential, that AIB failures can always become Ratings instead? Ratings are the backbone of the RN, not a creche for failures. :evil:

thingy said:
What sort of message does it sent out to Ratings: serving or potential, that AIB failures can always become Ratings instead? Ratings are the backbone of the RN, not a creche for failures. :evil:

They are (were?) indeed...and subsequently become Senior Rates....all of which make up the real 'Back bone' of the Pusser!

Orificers? I shit em!...or so it seemed at the time....
winetaster.gif

For those of you who care or are keeping track, I recieved the golden letter and BRNC joining pack yesterday.

I've hired a personal trainer to beast me for 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll be nails by September and will pass all the fitness tests and avoid remedials.

Norther said:
For those of you who care or are keeping track, I recieved the golden letter and BRNC joining pack yesterday.

I've hired a personal trainer to beast me for 6 weeks. Hopefully I'll be nails by September and will pass all the fitness tests and avoid remedials.

BZ - And good to hear that your uncertainty has been removed.

A long haul ahead, but when you eventually become a DO never forget that YOU once considered becoming one of those 'mere ratings' :

That should encourage you to become among the best DOs they could ever wish for.

Bob (Ex-JR/SR/DO)