Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thinking of joining this organisation, but is there any ex tifs out there who have benefited or seen someone who has benefited in joining The Institute for Engineering and Technology.
    http://www.theiet.org/

2. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

I've been a member for just over 18 months, benefits are what you make of them really. Monthly magazine is brilliant, online resources are very useful but that may depend on your sector, for me thay have proved useful. Lots of networking opportunities and plenty of jobs on their site, I've been down to their London offices for a meeting and have used at least one networking opportunity to my benefit. You can also seek IEng or CEng via their development schemes; as a Tiff you should qualify automatically at EngTech and be eligible to sit IEng interview for registration but it's a bit of work to get the paperwork together (see UK-Spec here: ECUK)

It really depends on what you want from them, and that may depend on what you want to use your membership for. Alternative is IMechE (I'm sure there are others) which a lot of my colleagues are members of. Think about others too, I'm also a member of APM and CMI now as I'm undergoing my CPD in all 3 area's. My job required me to be a member of " A professional Institute(ion)" but most don't, memberships don't come cheap.

3. Been thinking about this myself. A pile of leaflets and application forms were handed out entitled "PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION MADE EASY WITH THE IET VIA A SPECIAL REGISTRATION AGREEMENT - A guide to staff within the Royal Navy Weapon Engineering Branch"

Within the leaflet is a 'What are the requirements' paragraph. To quote that:

"EngTech - You must have attained at least the rank of Leading Engineering Technician, and successfully completed the LET taskbook and the subsequent OPS check at sea.

IEng - You must be at least a Deputy Weapon Engineering Officer or Weapon Section Officer who has passed thier WE Charge Board interview or

you must be at least a CPOWEA who has passed the Professional qualifying exam (PQE) or

you must be at least a CPOET who has passed the CG4 (CPOET(WE)) qualifying course (Note 1)

Note 1: At Oct 2007 CG4 was under development, and suitable interview within that course had yet to be agreed."

I haven't got around to handing in my forms yet, (too tight to pay), but I have filled them out. All the evidence that's required is the date of your Chiefs board and the name of the SWEO, plus a signature from someone who's supporting your application. They should be your line manager or career manager. All the better if they are a member of the IET themselves. (My WEO is a CEng).

If you've not seen the leaflet I'm quoting there is information about it on the RN intraweb at - http://royalnavy.defence.mod.uk/fleeteng/general/index.htm

Hope that helps.

4. chieftiff

Inevitable that they would establish entry criteria aimed specifically at the Armed Forces, the ILM have managed to get to a stage where 10% of their entire membership is made up of serving members.

If IET are now directly recognising a Chief Tiff's qualifications (and it's about time) then they must have mapped the qualifications and competencies against those of the ECUK Spec; therefore it should apply to any professional engineering institute contracted to test applications for IEng against the ECUK Spec, I'd be surprised if there is no need to attend the Professional Interview though.

There are other (non-engineering organisations) that have established Armed Forces training against various standards:

Chartered Management Institute

Institute of Leadership & Management

City & Guilds Institute

5. Cheers guys, lot of great advice here, will use it.

6. Cheers for those links chieftiff. Have you any experience of those organisations? I've still got nearly 5 years left to my 22 and have just had my papers raised so, AIB willing, may have longer yet, but have an idea that when I do pluck up the guts to go outside I'd rather go into some sort of management role rather than a hands on engineering type job. To that end I've been thinking about completing some management quals. I've heard, albeit from less than expert sources, that the C&G is a waste of cash.

7. chieftiff

It's probably worth mentioning that you can claim back some tax on your professional memberships by phoning your tax office and getting your tax code adjusted - it really is that simple!

Providing your membership is related to your profession and the body is on this list HMRC List of Professional Bodies CMI sent me a form explaining how to do it but I don't think IET are on the list, I have however been told that if it's for EngTech, IEng or CEng you are entitled to claim it back on registration regardless of the institute you register with, not sure if that's true but I suppose a call would clarify.

8. chieftiff

I have the GCGI, opinion is divided to be honest, some have heard of it and some haven't, my employer recognises it as a NQF level 6 equivalent qualification - which is how C&G tout it. The reality is, it's not on the QCF - because it's not a qualification, it's not a vocational qualification either although I have heard of people claiming it is equivalent to an N/SVQ at level 4/5 (it isn't). For less than £100 it could get you past the initial CV sift where a degree level education is expected and you may not have one so not a complete waste but certainly not recognised in the vain C&G intended.

Of the management institutes I chose CMI over ILM because they have a structured route to Chartered Status, my experience of them is limited as I have literally just joined but they recognise my experience and suggested I apply at Fellow Level rather than Full Member because of the budgetry and strategic responsibility I have gained since leaving (which is nice but more cash!) I've also joined The Association for Project Management for purely professional reasons (and initial membership was free because I've sat a couple of their professional exams this year)

Edited to add: The GCGI could also be useful if you want to demonstrate a broader skillset; if you have a degree in a Engineering or an academic area like Maths it's pointless getting the GCGI in engineering but perhaps Leadership & Management or Human Resource Management would serve if you had no formal quals in those area's - mine is in Human Resource Management.

9. Cheers again. I think it's time to start sorting this sort of stuff out and your info's helped. I'll start looking deeper into it and get myself up to see the NETSO.

10. I was a member of the IET. IEng. This year I didn't renew it. The magazine was very good but I honestly couldn't see what else I was getting for my subscription. It goes up every year, I shall be retiring in two years so I wont be looking for a job where it might have been useful. I decided to call it a day.

One thing I always hoped they would do is make a bit more noise about the use of the terms "Engineer" and "Technician". There are lots of people out there using these terms to describe their jobs, often without any justification.

The IET talk a lot about this, but, in my opinion, do little.

11. Thats a point as a WEA surely civilian firms would look at me as an Engineer, now I have been renamed an Engineering Technician, the lines have been blurred somewhat, and not for our benefit, thanks RN.
    Well my CV will state that I was a WEA and not a WE(ET).

12. If you don't have an Engineering degree then you are not an Engineer. ONC/D qualified you are an Engineering Technician EngTech, HNC/D you are a Technician Engineer.TechEng

13. Cheers Slim, where does FD Eng sit then?

14. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

"nearly made it" :thumright:

Time to convert those points on the open uni and complete a few modules.

15. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

16. chieftiff

That's no longer the case Slim, the ECUK Spec only recognises three levels of Engineer (and it's worth mentioning here that despite attempts by IET to have the term "Engineer" recognised as a professional title such as Doctor it has consistently failed because engineer as a word has a very broad definition)

To be an Incorporated Engineer you don't need a formal Engineering Degree (neither do you need one to become a Chartered Engineer as there are other alternative; but often longer routes that still recognise certain learning as at Batchelors or Masters level)

The ECUK spec has moved away from a purely academic assessment, in line with the National Occupational Standards you now need to demonstrate both knowledge and competency to be registered as a professional engineer at any level which really is a good thing.

I know for a fact that The Senior Design Engineer for one of the biggest engineering companies in the world has no batchelors degree but is a Chartered Engineer - he started off as an apprentice and has amongst his other quals an HNC, he has subsequently written several technical reports, sat engineering council exams/interviews and completed other more vocational quals that suited the Engineering Council but importantly he has a portfolio including some huge and very well known projects which he ran as lead engineer. A brilliant bloke who has been too busy working the life of a real engineer to complete a recognised Masters Degree, it hasn't held him back though.

17. I have no idea mate. In fact my info could be years out of date now as it is from the time I belonged to SERT (Society of Electrical and Radio Technicians). Real engineers with degrees joined the IEEE.
    Every job I had since leaving the RN described my position as an Engineer, problem is that Engineer encompasses everything from the guy who repairs pussers reds to the lady who programs the space shuttle :w00t:

18. Thanks for that Chieftiff.
    Whether it's a good thing or not to no longer require a degree is debatable.
    Still with many degrees being awarded for good attendance these days having to display certain qualities is possible better.

19. chieftiff

In fairness I don't think the academic level is any less, the revised rules just recognise that there are alternative but equally intellectually challenging routes to a certain level of education in the global market. All of the alternatives must still be accredited by the Engineering Council and the institute that you register. A masters degree is still probably the quickest way to Chartered Engineer.

20. Another thing to be aware of is a lot employers will pay the annual subscription fees for you. I wouldn't bring it up at interview necessarily, but ask when renewal is due.

I joined SERT years ago as a PO tiff and just stuck with it through the mergers and name changes. As for other bodies I also belong to IEMA but avoided things like the ILM after a resettlement brief by a guy who was some director talking about management. He felt professional bodies like the IET were very good and could help display your underlying knowledge and also helped CPD. His opinion of broader brush management organisation were that they were of less benefit and too generalised. Given they are not cheap I just stuck with the IET and joined IEMA to underpin the dirction I went in.

I keep meaning to look at going to fellow but nevere seem to get around to it.