IED protection

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by seafarer1939, Aug 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read it in the Sunday Mail but I can't believe what I read.
    The Americans are using a British invention to combat IED's in Afghanistan.
    It seems it bolts on to the front of vehicles exploding them with no injuries to troops in the vehicle behind.
    The USA officer told the SMail that they thanked us for the invention as it has saved a lot of lives.
    finally we bought 12 of our own invention but it can't be used because we havn't got the right bolts to fit them!
    My heart bleeds for our troops.
    I sincerley think we should revert back to the Admiralty,War Office and Air Ministry once again.
    The Mod is far too bloated and filled with under achieving civil servants who care more about claiming for RPI injuries than our Armed Forces.
    I think it is beyond contempt not to use a British invention to save lives.
    It works so get moving!but I won't hold my breath.

2. They have been used by us. The Taliban worked out how to defeat them within hours.

3. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Seafarer - I work in the area that looks after eqpt for Afghanistan. There are very good reasons for it not to be there, but if the troops asked for it, then it would go. That they have not (to my knowledge) speaks volumes. Don't believe everything you read in the press.

4. then I stand corrected,but the article, when read, gives a very positive reason to use them, the way the USA officer put it.
    One IED blew up and 3 crewmen were OK and it did state that we have bought 12 but could not fit them due to no fitting mounts.
    Seemed clear on the face of it and it made me angry but you know more than I and I hope you are right and this is not a case of neglect.

5. It's been described on ARRSE as essentially within a few hours of them being used the deployment of IEDs parked the pressure plate six feet in front of the charge, so rather than the roller taking the brunt of the blast, the roller sets of a charge right underneath the vehicle body.

I think the general point is that we are in an ever escalating environment, the Taliban are pretty capable of learning in the same way that we are.