Identity Cards

RoofRat

War Hero
I trust this government less than the last one. I don't mean when Maggie was in charge either.
First we had "Liar Blair" now we have, in opposition "Tory Blair". Who do I vote for now?
ID cards? They want me to have one, fine. Issue it, cos I aint paying for it!
Carried one in the Mob for 22 years, never cost me a penny, except when i lost it once :oops:
RoofRat

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
The vast majority of benefit fraud has nothing to do with fake identities. Knowing that Mr Joe Bloggs is DEFINITELY Mr Joe Bloggs won't do a damned thing to stop him pretending to be unemployed/disabled/etc.

Likewise terrorism. Knowing that a young man with no criminal record and no known links to terrorism is DEFINITELY who he says he is won't stop his first criminal act being a suicide bombing, will it?

B

Blapto

Uncle_Albert, what about when Mr Joe Bloggs goes round the corner and magically becomes Mr Pete Davey?

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
Blapto, it happens, as I said in my original post. Does it happen enough to warrant compulsory ID cards? No. The cure, as it were, will be far, far more expensive than the disease.

I'm looking forwards to seeing how the government will deal with people who refuse to take part. Will groups of government enforcers abduct people and forcibly take them to 'processing centres' where their hands will be forced onto scanners and their eyes forced open and held against camera lenses?

ID cards would be good if they are used like they are where I am now, means you can get a passport, open bank account etc. with just your ID card, none of that bollocks showing 3 forms of ID.
IF that is the case then good one, but if it is just an additional document that you can't use on internal flghts etc. then bin it.

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
Lingyai said:
ID cards would be good if they are used like they are where I am now, means you can get a passport, open bank account etc. with just your ID card, none of that bollocks showing 3 forms of ID.

But herein lies one of the big problems of a generic ID card. It becomes the trusted form, so I need only fake one piece of ID. Previously I had to fake several, and there was always the chance that some zealous or suspicious guy would double check them. Bring in ID cards, though, and I only have to fake a single piece of ID, with the added bonus that Joe Public will implicitly trust it and never call my bluff on it.

Uncle_Albert said:
Blapto, it happens, as I said in my original post. Does it happen enough to warrant compulsory ID cards? No. The cure, as it were, will be far, far more expensive than the disease.

I'm looking forwards to seeing how the government will deal with people who refuse to take part. Will groups of government enforcers abduct people and forcibly take them to 'processing centres' where their hands will be forced onto scanners and their eyes forced open and held against camera lenses?

The type of system that seems to be being proposed will make some things much more difficult. Multiple identies will be difficult to create as only one set of biometric data can be used for one identity, this will impact on benefit fraud, and I think the multiple identy is a problem with this and is certainly responsible for the bigger frauds, forged passports will lose their value unless some one can hack into the database, and the creation of new identities will also be dificult. Yes it will be xpensive but as the holders of the cards will end up paying the bill the government will be able to show savings.

I don't think the government is all that worried about the refusniks, you will need the card to get any government services, if you don't have one life will become more and more difficult.

Peter

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
The government will show savings, but only by virtue of making us pay directly rather than increasing tax. It'll still hit your pocket. The question is does identity fraud cost each person on average however much the ID card will cost each person on average? Bear in mind that there are huge additional costs attached that get overlooked; right now my biometrics are checked by virtue of the person looking at the picture on my passport or whatever, which takes a second and requires no additional technology. Having to run a check via a machine will add time. I expect that many busy places will simply not have the time to carry out a proper fingerprint/iris comparison and will simply look at the picture on the card. I don't need to create a fake identity, just have an ID card that passes a visual inspection and wait for the busy period.

I'm no expert on this one, but I think the government will be legally unable to refuse services just on the grounds that you do not have a government approved form of ID. Essentially, your entitlement or lack thereof to health care etc. does not depend on being able to prove who you are.

You already have to prove your entitlement for services such as the nhs, all that will change is the kind of documentation you require.

Peter

Uncle_Albert

War Hero
Not so; I have to prove who I am, but my entitlement status is already known by the NHS. It sounds like nit-picking, but it's an important legal difference.

Ventress

Midshipman
Won't happen until the Govt can come up with a decent ID card. The crooks were forging the new passport before it came out.

The ID card is a long way off.