Identifying ships for SIFT interview

Sien

I have my SIFT interview for the RFA soon and have been told that identifying a few ships in the fleet may be part of it - I can identify the ships in terms of their class but I am having trouble identifying them down to which exact ship it is - I'm not sure whether this is a big part of the interview or how much detail will be needed but if anyone could shed any light on that it would be great. Any help in how to get better at identifying the ships in general would also be very much appreciated as from simply looking at pictures they all appear very much alike to me (within the classes, anyway). Cheers!

Chalk_bosun

Lantern Swinger
I can't imagine needing to distinguish between ships of a class as part of the interview. As long as you know a bit about the classes and their specific roles and capabilities.

Klanky67

Lantern Swinger
I was shown a photo of a RAS and had to identify the class of ship. They weren’t after the ships name but if you can remember pennant numbers and names it would set you apart from the other interviewees.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BratMedic Help identifying my late father's shipmate in the 1930s. History 2
MoD_RSS Identifying underlying drivers of the conflict in Africa MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: CMA proposes major funerals probe after identifying serious concerns MoD News 0
D Identifying service numbers Bases / Shore Est 17
MoD_RSS News story: Identifying cyber insider threats in real time MoD News 0
Z Help identifying some fast jets that keep flying past? The Quarterdeck 39
RoboScorpion Help identifying arm badge Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
F Identifying a piece of kit History 9
D Looking for Challenge/Spoof Coins From RFA Ships RFA 1
D HM Ships at speed History 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2020 MoD News 0
W Boats or Ships Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 28
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2020 MoD News 0
F Joining as a Systems Engineer as an ETO on Cruise Ships RFA 4
MoD_RSS 19,000 British travellers return from cruise ships after major international effort MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Over-70s and at-risk Brits advised against travelling on cruise ships MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government backs cleaner planes, ships and automobiles with £37 million boost MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2020 MoD News 0
M Ships Photographers in WW2. History 10
soleil PlymouthLive: "Royal Navy Too Short Of Ships To Police Fisheries After Brexit, Lords Told" The Fleet 4
C Last time a squadron of ships sailed together apart from the Dartmouth Training Squadron in the 1960's Miscellaneous 7
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2019 MoD News 0
BillyNoMates The Little Ships. The Book Club 10
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during September 2019 MoD News 0
T Where in the UK are RFA ships based? RFA 2
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during August 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during July 2019 MoD News 0
E Tracing ships visits - Help needed The Fleet 3
MoD_RSS Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during June 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during May 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during April 2019 MoD News 0
Obsidian00 Ships Badge/Crest History 5
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during March 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during February 2019 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during January 2019 MoD News 0
J Best ships to deploy on Joining the Royal Navy 12
G New Ships RFA 9
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during December 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during November 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Defence Secretary secures ships to protect home waters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK calls on Russia to allow ships access to Ukraine’s ports MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Foreign flagged ships detained in the UK during October 2018 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: UK set for new Birmingham warship and will keep amphibious assault ships, Defence Secretary announces MoD News 0
soleil Liverpool Echo: "New Military Ships 'Must Be Built At Yards Like Cammell Laird After Brexit'" RFA 1
soleil Mail: Royal Navy Keeps Old Offshore Patrol Ships It Was Due To Retire For Post-Brexit Coastline Protection The Fleet 1