Identify This Instrument

Discussion in 'History' started by kippermoose, Nov 29, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Looks like a wind direction repeater, fitted on the arse end of frigates/destroyers, used by the FDO to advise the helicopter pilot via the wired Tele-brief so he/she knows which direction the wind is going to hit them as they lift-off, whilst underway in the lee of the ship superstructure.

If it is, there'll be a second gauge indicating relative wind-speed. The more recent ones are usually coloured red/green. I think the ship is usually steered to bring the relative wind within the graduated zones to enable take-off/recovery within safe parameters. Possibly our Woos can refute/confirm?

Then again, I'm only a Stoker so could be totally wrong.
  2. It looks like a type of hygrometer to me. The 5T/237 printed on the dial has me thinking of something to do with Dew Point Temperature, 5T being temperature, of course, I could be way off the mark. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  3. Hygrometers wouldn't have port & starboard on them though SP..or would they?
  4. A thing for taking the bearings of objects in relation to your own vessel?

(Turned up this diagram after a rummage through the www.
    Do I win a prize?)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. I don't know Wrecker. Can you think of any gauges one would find on a ship or submarine that you would use to measure humidity?
    Just trying to work out what the 5T 237 is, it must be a unit of measurement. I just feel it is something to do with measuring humidity, Dew Point Temperature *C.
    Relative humidity %.... but I could be wrong. :confused:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2015
  6. I think Ninja may be on the right track.
    The fine graduations between 30 deg Port & Starboard would be of use to the FDO when interpreting SHOLs (Ship's Helicopter Operating Limits).

I think that's a manufacturer's serial No.
  7. Do you think so, would they stick the serial number on the front?

8. They sometimes do, not necessarily a serial number as they usually go on the side, but it may be the meter type designation, makes it easier to identify when you have to order new ones.
  9. Just a guess :)

For example:
  10. manufacturers details should be on the case somewhere.

Gauges come all kinds of wonderful and weird sizes and configurations.

What I find strange about it is, it only has 30 degs on the Port side but 180 on the Starboard, so not so likely to be a wind direction repeater, could it possibly be something to do with thrusters?
  11. Ninja_Stoker

The safe operating limits, going back to my days of loafing on the flight deck as a smac233 rating, if I'm correct, usually involved getting the ship into a position where the wind was coming from green, within set parameters when veering. I think it took off with the wind coming-in within a few degrees either side of the ships' head, but if it was veering, the prefered direction was from green.

I don't know the reasons, but suspect it could be to do with the rotor direction of rotation or which side of the helicopter the pilot was sitting or which way you needed to face Mecca.

Thinking about it still further, it could be off a carrier where you wanted wind across the deck veering from green relative to the island superstructure, otherwise the lee of the island could cause snags upon landing if you were compensating for wind and it suddenly 'turned off' or caused turbulence where you least needed it.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Cheers Ninja, every days a school day
  13. Ninja_Stoker

I could be completely wrong of course!
  14. Thought the 5T may have been a Pt No, just searched my "Need To Know" US parts system and it doesnt show up :(
  15. Could the 5T/237 be a very old RAF stock number?