Identify the medals

Discussion in 'The Quarterdeck' started by Ninja_Stoker, Jul 31, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Attached Files:

2. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, it's a good old rack of medals - the one I can't suss is the middle one, either. Wasn't sure if he was a Silver Jumbilee medal holder as well & therefore one of the rarest racks in NATO, worth a few quid. It can't be the South Atlantic medal - or can it?

The enlarged shot just pixilates unfortunately (below).

Attached Files:

3. Ninja_Stoker

Maybe it just needs a dhoby.

With regard the "cheering-up" aspect, feedback from the cutting-edge of Olympic security indicates that after working up to 16-hour days, a freebie to attend an undersubscribed sporting event is just the ticket :wink:
  4. Ninja_Stoker

According to a post on FB, the guy has served 23 years, so unless it's the Iraq (2003-), I'm stumped.
  5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Maybe RNR for 23 years; perhaps he had RN/RAF/Army service prior to that?
  6. Medals.jpg

This crop any good?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. The lighter blue one in the middle looks like UN Cambodia or one of those weird ones.
  8. It is:

GSM, NATO FY, OSM Afghanistan (No clasp), QGJM, QDJM, ASCM, Undetected crime.

The outer of the OSM ribbon just looks odd next to the inner part of the QGJM in the picture.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Thanks Trialslife, much clearer. That sounds & looks right MLP, particularly with regard the sequence, although still not sure if the ACSM looks 'right'.

A while back I was picked-up by someone for having my medal ribbons "upside-down" on my uniform. I wasn't even aware there was a right way-up until that point, but apparently the ribbons sewn onto the uniform, if an odd number, should be arranged a downward pointing 'triangle' for Officers & upward pointing for Ratings. Needless to say I was besides myself with angst and had a stern word with 'my' tailor.
  10. He must have spent quite some time in NI as that ACSM must have been accumulated there. There's no way he spent a great deal of time in the other two.
  11. Must have done a shitload of gulf trips then. Like about 8 or 9.
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Apologies, the ribbon in the photo didn't look right for the ACSM - I didn't realise it had two yellow stripes because the Mod website depicted the old (?) ACSM ribbon with a single stripe: Ministry of Defence | Defence News | History and Honour | Qualifying time for Accumulated Campaign Service Medal reduced the correct image is here: Ministry of Defence | Defence For... | Veterans | Medals | ACSM 2011

It's entirely possible if he's in the RNR employed as permanent staff for two years in N.Ireland as the GSM for NI was awarded up to 2007, the rules for ACSM changed in 2011.

13. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Most of the pongos I work with now have the ACSM, with the bulk made up from resident battalion tours of NI.
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Yep, the confusion was due to the different ribbons for the ACSM & ACSM 2011:

Attached Files:

15. I only have one medal (me PDU) so I am now worried that I cannot form either an upside down or right way up triangle. Just as well I ditched my uniform
  16. Looking at him I'm surprised there isnt a Battle of the Nile medal in there
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Agree with M-La-P. The clip shows the edge of the OSM over lapping the white centre strips of the QGJM
  18. Many of the NI Sqn guys spent a number of drafts going from ship to ship (as they liked getting NI Pay on top of LSSB). When I was in ARUN, over half of the ship's company were ex NURTON, and so if still in would qualify for the ACSM 11 now it is 2 years qualifying.