Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify EA left behind when AFFRAY sailed on her fatal training trip.

Tui Bird

Badgeman
Don't want to raise a big deal about the sad loss of the AFFRAY --- my views are clearly stated , for good or bad in my review of the book on the subject. http://www.rnsubs.co.uk/Dits/Articles/subsmash.php .

However I have been going over the crew list again -----I have already stated that compared with the crew of ARTEMIS ( crew photograph) that I was on about the same time , AFFRAY's ER and MR people that sailed with her , were about the same -- a normal crew , so shortage of ER people was not part of a cause as often stated by commentators . I also see this sort of comment as an unwarranted criticism of the crew -- people of the same flotilla as us. I kept a lot of MR snort watches and never saw any lack of attention to their duty by the people on the ER platform.

No, now all I want is some help if available, I have sorted through the published list of those left ashore and determined their ratings etc , but the EA , who did not go according to the Inquiry , isn't listed as such , but there is a Dennis Riley without a rating and I think he must have been the EA ? Anybody have any clues ?

Crew supposedly left behind -- I say supposedly because I don't know if its from an official source ?

AS or L/S Michael Barlow -- Radar Operator replaced for reasons unknown, by L/S Cooke ----- not to counted in missing from normal crew
CPO Gordon Selby ( Instructor of Executive Officers Training Class) -- supernumary taken ill , not replaced--- not to counted in missing from normal crew
==========================================================================
SM Herbert Allen ----- WW2 ribbons in pic----- his son part of the Memorial organisation
Dennis Riley ---- might be the EA, ?
ERA2 Alexander Duncombe
Signalman Charles ‘Chick’ Henderson
LEM Jim Johnson --- LEM Wood was aboard --- usually only one LEM, so not really a shortage ?
L/S John Goddard 23 years old in 1951. Deceased . Expressed public concerned about the loss of AFFRAY , over the years.
AS Stanley Crowe
AS Frank Kendrick
AS Peter Warriss
AS George Warden
AS Edward Hickman
=========================================================================
Thanks --Tui Street .

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Trying to identify a uniform History 21
BreechSpike Identify the T boat? Miscellaneous 27
slim Anyone should be allowed to 'identify' as black regardless of the colour of their skin or background, say university leaders Current Affairs 16
MoD_RSS New UK-led satellite will identify natural resources from space MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Dye project to identify fish migration on the Alne MoD News 0
E Help me identify this sailor..... History 37
MoD_RSS Press release: Signs help to identify flood risk car parks MoD News 0
Rodgersthecabinboy Can anyone identify this ship. History 12
P Can you help identify these ships? History 5
B can any old World war 2 commandoe identify with this service record please The Corps 33
K Identify This Instrument History 15
SONAR-BENDER Identify this boat? Submariners 7
Ninja_Stoker Identify the medals The Quarterdeck 20
P Can you identify this sword? History 10
jesse Which fictional characters do you identify with? Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy 7
Hermes_R12 Derbyshire Police appeal to identify mystery object Current Affairs 15
S Can any one help identify this photograph History 23
S Would you help me identify this ship? History 23
JamesH Can you help identify the ship? History 0
MoD_RSS Just 100 days left for Self Assessment MoD News 0
MoD_RSS AAIB Report: De Havilland Canada Dash 8-402, failure of left aileron cable MoD News 0
MoD_RSS One year left to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme MoD News 0
M I put my application on hold a year ago. Do I have to re-apply & start again or can I carry on where I left off? Joining the Royal Navy 7
MoD_RSS Letters to businesses about trade arrangements after the UK has left the EU MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Raising expectations of children and parents, high standards for teachers and tackling bad behaviour: how schools in ‘left behind’ areas can improve MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Self Assessment taxpayers have one week left to file their return MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: 100 days left to file your 2017 to 2018 tax return MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Information for those who left the armed forces between December 2008 and... MoD News 0
L Those that have left the RN as a ET-WE The Afterlife - Resettlement and Jobs 14
BillyNoMates No holes left. Diamond Lil's 57
T The woman left me The Gash Barge 7
soleil Herald: "Defence Cuts Have Left Royal Navy 'Too Small' To Carry Out Its Job" The Fleet 1
0 Elvis has not left the Building Diamond Lil's 1
soleil Guardian: "Political Support For Afghan Campaign Has 'Departed Stage Left'" Current Affairs 11
soleil Western Morning News: "Cuts Have Left The Navy 'Too Small', Warns Report" The Fleet 2
trelawney126 Any Sappers Left to fix a Bridge? The Gash Barge 1
trelawney126 Monica left out in the Cold by Bill Diamond Lil's 0
Stirling Left a bit....right a bit....shit! Diamond Lil's 2
soleil Pompey News: "Cuts Left RN Warship ‘Dangerously Unarmed’ During Libya Operation" The Fleet 11
soleil Royal Navy Official Calendar 2011 - "Island Nation" - Last Few Left! The Fleet 2
Stirling Passed on and left his mates 'a drink' The Corps 6
BARNEYRNSM Pension of 21 years for someone who left in 1976 Finance & Pensions 13
R Is there going to be any ships left? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
pitty POAEM to POAET - Need to have more then 4 years left The Fleet Air Arm 20
trelawney126 How many have the Crabs got Left?l The Fleet Air Arm 5
soleil Metro: "Lt Cdr Mike Jones-Thompson - The Last British Soldier Left In Basra" Bases / Shore Est 5
sgtpepperband Pompey News: "How Could Navy Heroes' Names Be Left To Fade?" Current Affairs 10
stan_the_man Today my wife left me Diamond Lil's 27
defenceheadquarters Two weeks left to give your comments on Defence Green Paper Current Affairs 0
stan_the_man Could you bat left handed Diamond Lil's 32