Identify EA left behind when AFFRAY sailed on her fatal training trip.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Tui Bird, Jul 25, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Don't want to raise a big deal about the sad loss of the AFFRAY --- my views are clearly stated , for good or bad in my review of the book on the subject. .

However I have been going over the crew list again -----I have already stated that compared with the crew of ARTEMIS ( crew photograph) that I was on about the same time , AFFRAY's ER and MR people that sailed with her , were about the same -- a normal crew , so shortage of ER people was not part of a cause as often stated by commentators . I also see this sort of comment as an unwarranted criticism of the crew -- people of the same flotilla as us. I kept a lot of MR snort watches and never saw any lack of attention to their duty by the people on the ER platform.

No, now all I want is some help if available, I have sorted through the published list of those left ashore and determined their ratings etc , but the EA , who did not go according to the Inquiry , isn't listed as such , but there is a Dennis Riley without a rating and I think he must have been the EA ? Anybody have any clues ?

Crew supposedly left behind -- I say supposedly because I don't know if its from an official source ?

AS or L/S Michael Barlow -- Radar Operator replaced for reasons unknown, by L/S Cooke ----- not to counted in missing from normal crew
    CPO Gordon Selby ( Instructor of Executive Officers Training Class) -- supernumary taken ill , not replaced--- not to counted in missing from normal crew
    SM Herbert Allen ----- WW2 ribbons in pic----- his son part of the Memorial organisation
    Dennis Riley ---- might be the EA, ?
    ERA2 Alexander Duncombe
    Signalman Charles ‘Chick’ Henderson
    LEM Jim Johnson --- LEM Wood was aboard --- usually only one LEM, so not really a shortage ?
    L/S John Goddard 23 years old in 1951. Deceased . Expressed public concerned about the loss of AFFRAY , over the years.
    AS Stanley Crowe
    AS Frank Kendrick
    AS Peter Warriss
    AS George Warden
    AS Edward Hickman
    Thanks --Tui Street .