Identification of Medals

Discussion in 'History' started by PartTimer, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was have a look at the National Memorial Arboretum this morning and was reading about the dedication of a new memorial commemorating the 13,890 men of the Royal Naval Patrol Service killed during WW2 (http://www.thenma.org.uk/). Very proud gentleman pictured both on the NMA site and the RBL site, with an impressive rack, which I'd quite like to identify.

[​IMG]

OK, so far I've got the 1939-1945 Star, the Atlantic Star, the War Medal 1939-45. That's when I get haze - LS&GC for the next one, but wrong shade of blue, and the white edges appear to thin... The top row at least look part of a genuine rack (and an impressive enough one at that - although mounted as though they should be for display rather than wear - isn't it anything beyond 3 and you have to start overlapping). Tthose below may be foreign decorations, not sure, in which case unless authorised to wear they should be on the right.

2. Is that the Jean Monnet Medal with the EU emblem on the blue ribbon?

3. Light blue LS&GC is police I think

4. Not heard of the RNPS one before. What's it for?

Excuse potential boneness of question.

5. Many thanks.

Learn something every day.

6. Many thanks for the replies - I'm always a little dubious though about 'tin' medals being added to or worn alongside an existing (and impressive) rack. I note for the RNPS medal it is meant to be "worn with pride not alongside gallantry decorations, but separately and distinctively." I always thought the preferred location for non-issue commemorative medals was on the right breast (below that of any relatives medals you may wear).

I'd forgotten the Police had LS&GC too - I'd assumed he'd have a RN one!

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

With regard dress regulations, those wishing to may now download BR81 from the RN website so that you may bollock random matelots for being in contravention of the 'Rools'.

For those seeking definitive instructions with regard the maximum number of gongs abreast (6) without overlapping & the newer rule permitting Rating to wear Court Mounted gongs, have a shufty at BR 81 Chapter 8, Article 0810, paragraphs g & h.

Article 0817 refers to the wearing of unofficial medals.

Ooh, how efficient does that sound? :wink:

8. Thanks NS - ashamed to admit it but I found it interesting!!

Edited to remove edit as I was talking out my arse (I think)!!

9. Don't quote me but I think Queen Vivtoria authorised medals and orders from the Society of St John to be worn along with sovereign's medals. Many senior RNR medical officers and at least one Chaplain have them. Though as the ribbon for the order is pain plack it does not show up to well on 1Cs. (5s to you old and bold!)

10. Hi Ninja_Stoker,

Almost on Topic (certainly fits under the the heading of 'Identification of Medals')

Can you tell us about those "medals/gongs/jewels" on your own Avatar?

Respect - Nae dits - Just the truth, please, amigo.

Bob

11. Ninja_Stoker

Certainly, pull-up a bollard, how long have you got? :wink:

L to R: South Atlantic Medal (Argonaut), GSM with Gulf bar (Boxer), NATO Former Yugoslavia (Illustrious), QEII Golden Jumblesale (Iron Duke), Long Service & Good Egg (Illustrious).

OK, you can wake-up now...

12. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

What no Brown Wings, Ninja..? :shock: :twisted:

13. He's a bloody trouble maker!!!!!! Don't get the same draft!!!

14. Ninja_Stoker

Nah, never fancied being a Naval Policeman to be honest :wink:

15. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

...and I've never had a lobotomy, so would never qualify to be a Naval Careers Service adviser! :twisted:

16. Ninja_Stoker

Fair one.