ID Cards to go alongside Veterans badges

Discussion in 'Petitions' started by Martin1964, Jun 18, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know about anyone else, but, I am fed up with seeing people having access to the Armed Forces Veterans Badge, via sales through Ebay, etc. The benefits of holding one of these may be small but should still be restricted to those who have served and therefore I have set up a petition calling for the introduction of ID cards to accompany the badges.
    This petition has gained 19,400+ signatures in approximately 1 week but could do with more.
    Please sign the petition at and help publicising this cause by sharing the link above whenever possible.
    Hopefully then we can get rid of the "Mitty" characters who are getting these badges and pretending to have served their country.
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. Done,

Martin are you a member of the RNA? Huntingdon branch are always recruiting:)
  3. Not at the moment, but have been considering. Just need to make sure I am healthy enough first.
  4. No probs, just message and I'll send you our details :)
  5. Interesting read recently, where Volunteer Reserves that serve for 10 yrs+ will be able to use the post-nominal VR after their names. I was just wondering what post-nominals I can use after what will be 32 years ACTIVE service when I go outside?
  6. It seems weird that upon joining up you are volunteering to serve the country (albiet paid) so maybe VR(Paid) :)
  7. I cannot understand the fixation some people have with putting initials after their name as if it makes them a better person or more important than the next - and I'm not talking about people who have worked hard for a qualification or have something that is well deserved .... but does anyone actually give a monkey's about the fact someone did 10+ years as a weekend warrior?? Half the time people who see initials after someone's name don't actually have a scooby what they stand for anyway - and that's even if they haven't already filed the person in the "self righteous prick who is so far up their own a*se therefore unimportant" box at the outset!

Yes I've got qualifications that mean I can put letters after my name? ... Do I? No ... it doesn't change who I am!
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Please keep on subject, and share the petition link to get others to sign. Thanks
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

To be fair, the subject of letters after a name was a follow on of your post. If people are going to purchase veterans badges off Ebay, they can also just add letters after their name. It's within the same boundries of your original post and worthy of mention.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I have to say, I'm not bothered really. Are we all not pretending to be someone that we're not? Or have done at some stage in our lives.
  11. Only for a bit of skirt, only for a bit of skirt . . .

And where's the harm in that? :D
    • Like Like x 1
  12. "Chef DapperDunn, Sea Harrier pilot, visitor at the main brow....."
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Got it in one! :)
  14. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Should we have a veterans badge and id card for former emergency services personnel, or perhaps teachers, or maybe tesco workers?

At the end of the day its a career. You are very well paid while in, get the opportunity to earn a lot of qualifications, life changing experiences, see the world and possibly get a medal if you go somewhere interesting and if you do 15 years you'll get a long service medal too.

There are plenty of rewards while serving. Once you are out, its time to move on with your life, look back fondly on what you did and try to uphold the values and standards imbued in you. But i do think asking for an id card, or demanding discounts for veterans is a step too far. You did your duty, you got the reward at the time. But expecting a lifetime of veteran discoints is akin to a tesco worker expecting a lifetime of staff discount because he worked for them a few years.

As for VR, if you entitled to it and want to use it then do so. I could use it, but i choose not to, because i can make myself look a pompous twat on here easily enough without using post noms too. :)
    • Like Like x 6
  15. I am not sure which one is the more sad - the Walt who is desperate to present themselves as something that they aren't by dressing up / applying (paying!) for stuff that "associates" them with the military, or those who get so precious about it that it is amounts to embarrassingly sanctimonious indignation.

I can almost see the point regarding the wearing of medals you aren't entitled to, but even then it doesn't amount to sacrilege or dishonour those who did earn it (posthumously or otherwise).

I keep forgetting to use my MOD90 for discounts I could be "entitled" to - usually just use it as ID. Like it was intended for.
  16. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There is the Defence Discount Card for those who want cheap stuff. There seems to be some vetting involved in getting one and even without a mug shot it looks a bit 'Defence / services so should give some egotists a perky. Others will be raging that it is available to MOD Civil Servants, some of whom - like some Reservists - have seen more war than some of those who feel 'entitled'.
  17. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

I wrote this in another thread that drifted into this sort of 'military status for life' entitlement nonsense.

• Like Like x 2
  18. A cursory search for VR on LinkedIn brings up some right ******* belmers.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Must get an appointment to see the Doc, for once I find myself in complete agreement with PT....................Help!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. And if you're desperate for bling..

And I'm entitled to loads from this site, it's even got a Cold War Medal!!

Going through all the sites, if I had the money, and was stupid enough to waste it on them, I could award myself 18 medals to go with my 3 real ones :)

But back on topic, I think the ID card is a waste of time, if you use the internet most of the stuff in the defence discount catalogue can be got cheaper, or just as cheaply, online.
    And what's to stop a dedicated walt from forging his own ID card making it pointless.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015