ID Cards for Veterans

Discussion in 'The Gash Barge' started by Martin1964, Jul 20, 2015.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. There is a petition on the Change.Org website calling for all Armed Service Veterans to be issued with ID cards in order to weed out Walts, who claim to have served, and are buying the Armed Forces Veterans Badge rather than being issued with one through the MoD.
    Please could you pass the link around and get as many people signing the petition as possible.
    The petition has already reached 25,357 signatures, but could do with MANY more.
  2. Seadog

Seadog War Hero Moderator

There is already a thread or two on the subject of military status for life in return for a dog watch of risk free service spent pissing up. And some walloper wants post nominals for something like it.

The prognosis is not good.
  3. this_thread_again.jpg
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I left the RN nearly 30 years ago and have no wish to carry an ID card so that I can prove my identity when swinging the lamp with my mates.
  5. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Why why why? I am fed up on this endless sense of dripping about 'oh but I served once but I should be allowed to keep on clinging to the bits of my past'.

There is absolutely zero need or requirement for any veteran to have an ID card. They get a badge, they get a certificate and thats more than practically any other employer gives former staff. Its a job, you got well paid, you get a good pension, once you are out then you don't need an ID card.

I haven't heard any credible need for an ID card, in the same way that I've yet to see a credible need for former members of tesco to get a staff discount for life just because they worked for Tesco once.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Fuck..I agree with Purple twiglet.....I'm off for a lie down.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I want one.

I have a cunning plan to copy it and then flog them to gullible ex-matelots and walts, only because I've run out of veterans badges though.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Sod working for Tesco, when my wife retired from Morrisons she was given an Old Farts discount card, 10% of nearly everything, bstrds stopped the discount on alcohol though:rolleyes:
    Comes in handy:)
  9. Trainer

Trainer War Hero Book Reviewer

Who is going to knock these out? SPVA smashes out about 12,000 ID cards a month (Gen, I worked there). Machines working flat out to keep pace with existing requirement....
  10. I don't know what it is like in the UK anymore, I live in the USA and left the RN 40 years ago, but here in the US veterans have ID's and can shop at military shops on bases and pay no taxes on items. Veterans have many opportunities to receive discounts on goods, loans, car purchases etc. discounts at many attractions and so forth, but proof of being a veteran is required and that is why an ID is a good idea. It is not required to swing the lamps with your oppos though. Probably would be a great benefit in UK especially for the old salts that got bugger all from the puss after 12 years of service.
  11. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"Probably would be a great benefit in UK especially for the old salts that got bugger all from the puss after 12 years of service."

You mean other than 12 years salary, a pension, world class training, long term employability prospects etc?

Why should someone in qualify for a discount 30 years after serving for a dogwatch?
  12. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

PT where do I get this pension from? For a lot of us from a certain era there isn't one, even for those that did a lot of sea time.
  13. Seadog

As I understand the USN/USMC, it's only the full term retirees who get an ID card, Space Available Travel, mess membership, base access, salutes and commissary privileges. Veterans (some of whom, especially those maimed in action, may qualify) are not necessarily retired.

I may be wrong, it happens.
  14. Seadog

There are blokes in their 90s getting RN pensions. How old are you?

If you knew that bailing out before completing a pensionable engagement would result in no pension...

The rules change and somebody dips out. That's something that'll never change. An ID card won't help.
  15. From what I have heard the modern navy gives something back to sailors that have served but just a few years, whereas back in the 50's and 60's if you left before 22 years service you received nothing but a thank you and good bye.
  16. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Where have I posted that I was in favour of ID cards? If you came out of the RN between I think 1953 and 1975 without doing full time there was no pension. You won't find any posts from me complaining about that either.
  17. Seadog

I'm not saying that you have Janner. My post addresses the issue, not your personal situation or how you feel about it.
  18. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

In my autobiography I wrote.. 'I didn't like going into the SR bar when on duty because of the many retired old farts still clinging on to memories of their days of yore. sitting around waiting for someone to stand them a pint.' I haven't really changed my opinion. Ok ! I do enjoy the 'crack' that comes on this site and enjoy reminiscing about the past. I don't need an ID card anymore. I already know who I am, the rest can go stuff themselves if they are so weak-minded that they have to impersonate/pretend to be ex service. Err! have I lost the plot? :D
    • Like Like x 1

19. PT, engage brain before keyboard, vets may get a badge and a certificate, we get the pension when due, the pay and conditions are much better now than they were, but and its a fucking big but, how many Tesco employees are required to put life and limb on the line for their employers, spend months away from home at a stretch, have to live in a tin box 15 to 50 men to a mess in living conditions that would have the prisons rioting. Yes we all signed on the dotted line, we knew to a certain extend what we were getting into, but to compare a service life to a shop work is unbelievable.

As for calling 12 years a dog watch, ffs you really are something else
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Seadog

It was me who made reference to a 'dog watch' I think and I didn't compare it to 12 years.

There is an irony in that some those who spent years muttering ROMFT and dodging Seniors feel entitled to the continued patronage of the service they couldn't wait to leave.

Supermarkets can be quite hostile territory during a full moon and 'reduced to clear' promotions.

It's up to the employer to reward above the statutory minimum. My dad's former employer hands out perks to company pensioners of 20 years seniority. Other employers give out nada.