ID a Doodat for me ?

Discussion in 'History' started by Repulse, Apr 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Folks.

This item has always been with my Grandfather's Navy bits and pieces, and papers. I have no idea what it is. Answers on a postcard please... It may not even be a nautical thing but I don't know. Many thanks.

Attached Files:

• rn1.jpg
      rn1.jpg
      File size:
      96 KB
      Views:
  2. First one to say it's a coin gets scuttled !

3. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The fleur-de-lis could be something to do with the Royal Welch Fusiliers as it goes.

Not sure about the paper it's on.

The other thing is a one pence piece.

4. A woggle maybe.

5. Thanks... the paper it's on is to give the photograph some creative milleu...

6. Could it be a (squashed) napkin ring, as used in the Wardrobe? Any stewards handy?

2BM

7. wal

wal Badgeman

Too small as the penny is a size reference but I like your thinking. I'm liking the woogglle ( 2 x o 2 x g and 2 x l as spell checker don't like it). idea.

8. I think the paper it's on is actually parchment and is an old Service Certificate. Do I win a coconut?

9. Is it not Prince of Wales feathers rather than fleur-de-lis

10. I'd go for a Welsh regiment or maybe a souvenir type thingy from HMS Prince of Wales considering his naval background.

11. deffo the PoW plumes as it has the 'Ich Dien' (I Serve) motif on it - the PoW motto

12. Repluse, my great uncle in-law was on the POW as a boy seaman gun crew on a stbd QF 5.25 gun when she had her hiccup in Force Z. And he's still with us.

13. Hi flymo.
    My Grandfather was only on Repulse during the world tour in 1923/24. He had retired and been recommissioned when Force Z sailed. Lovely to hear your uncle is still alive. I hope you've debriefed him for all his memories.