Iconic Cooling Towers To Be Blown Up

Shakey

War Hero
In what has been described as an act of cultural vandalism, there are plans to knock down the two cooling towers next to the M1 at Sheffield:

Bill and Ben to be blown up and smashed to bits.

Funny thing is, I thought they had only been left up as they were too close to the M1 to knock down.

Known art-botherer Anthony Gormley had said they are 'intrinsically beautiful'. Pillock.

Shame to knock them down though.
 

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
I used to live near them. Rotherham side of course, I'm not some kind of sheff retard. The whole area needs bulldozing and rebuilding. Or just leave it as a big overgrown wasteleand like Roth council have done with most of the other places in town.
 

Shakey

War Hero
Ahhh, Rotherham. Such sweet childhood memories.

Like walking through Masborough and being called a white b*stard. The old bus station that smelt of p*ss. Wonderful nightclubs like 'Peppermint Park'.

Oh such a wonderful time.
 

sweeney

Lantern Swinger
Class innit? :D

The bus station has had a "make over" but its still cack. Now the county borough has closed there is very little to recommend going there.
 

andym

War Hero
Ah but i remember Rotherham and Ravenfield when it was still wired for trolley busses and you could walk round Dalton with out fearing for your life.Still love Ravenfield!
 
Noooooooooooo
How will I now know that I am less than 35 miles from Leeds??
Oh yes Meadow hall the other side.

My youngest calls them the Simpsons Towers and is allas reet chuffed t'see em cos she knows she is near to Gods city.
 
I remember applying to Rotherham Polytechnic, and Huddersfield back in the early 80s when I expected to pass my A levels with less than flying colours.* I remember the brochure was quite impressive... :oops: :lol:


*I was saved - I failed them! :(
 
Always_a_Civvy said:
I remember applying to Rotherham Polytechnic, and Huddersfield back in the early 80s when I expected to pass my A levels with less than flying colours. I remeber the brochure was quite impressive... :oops: :lol:

Apparently you could only gain entry if you could spell "remember" :wink:
 
fishmiester said:
Always_a_Civvy said:
I remember applying to Rotherham Polytechnic, and Huddersfield back in the early 80s when I expected to pass my A levels with less than flying colours. I remeber the brochure was quite impressive... :oops: :lol:

Apparently you could only gain entry if you could spell "remember" :wink:

I've just corrected it... I blame my keyboard, I've never got used to these electronic ones... give me an Imperial typewriter anyday :lol:
 
fishmiester said:
Noooooooooooo
How will I now know that I am less than 35 miles from Leeds??
Oh yes Meadow hall the other side.

My youngest calls them the Simpsons Towers and is allas reet chuffed t'see em cos she knows she is near to Gods city.

The aromas from all the pubs! Amazing it's got so many for a non-Naval city! Oooh... draft perry... sadly my old favourite eating & drinking hole is not what it was 20 years ago. Do you know Whitelocks, Fishmeister - it's more or less opposite the private Leeds Library down a little alley way - it was one of the few jewels in the city back in the days when everything was covered in black soot - before they modernised it - I had a real shock when I returned 3 years ago - hardly recognised the centre!
 
Of course I know Whitelocks, which cotrary to popular belief is not the oldest pub in the centre of Leeds. But it has been around almost as long as one of Nuttys dits.

I thought the Duncan would be more your scene?? ;-)
 

Latest Threads

New Posts

Top