Ian Tomlinson (Inquest Jury Verdict)

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Yet Policing Britain today isn't? I'd say it was comparable in many ways.

Judging by what some of my muckers have told me, Policing public order over here is harder. In NI, they were not shy in cracking a few heads and hardly any questions were asked. Over here, you tap a violent protester with a shield and your living in a Gestapo state. Oddly enough, these are the same people who complained the Police lost the streets during the recent riots and should have used stronger tactics. Physician, heal thyself.

Spidiver

War Hero
I think the issue here was..Harwood is a bullying twat who can't carry out the duties of a police officer..not all coppers are bastards......and actually you are all wrong...the most difficult job in Britain is answering the phone in the National Lottery winners department...
"Hello ...yes that's right you've won eleventy squillion pounds..and I'm sat here on the minimum wage !!!!

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
It doesn't matter how big his disciplinary record was if you're not counting only upheld complaints. And even then an upheld complaint can be for something as simple as swearing at someone when you're stressed. All good frontline cops attract complaints, indeed some solicitors pretty much require their clients to whack in a complaint about the arresting officer.

There is a culture within the Police now - although not necessarily at the grass roots level - around Complaints which assumes an Officer is guilty of wrongdoing if there is a complaint. The whole system and attitude of practitioners within the Police Complaints Empire both internally and externally (i.e. the IPCC) is that if someone has complained, then there must be some basis for that complaint - and the mere suggestion that it might be malicious or unfounded is completely alien to their thinking.

Among the perverse immediate actions following a complaint is that an Officer is removed from frontline duties protecting the public and is then forced to engage in some hand-wringing process to try and placate the complainant, who often admits - in sober hindsight - contributed to their own situation by behaving poorly in the first place! This is sadly what it's coming to. I'm a tax payer and I never signed up for such a shameful waste of Police time and money. I want my money back!

I jest of course - but on the other hand, politicians want more robust policing. Simply put, this will never be achieved whilst we have such appeasement whereby the Police are the ones continually on trial, so to speak, for their reaction to the appalling behaviour of others. Or for simply making a reasonable decision, which with the wonderful benefit of hindsight is the incorrect one. But this is what happens when a force becomes a service striving to please all and sundry; the two simply do not go together.

I read a great quote in a book recently of one individual's experiences in the modern Police service. It read: "If you want a poodle then buy one. But don't buy a Rottweiler, pull all it's teeth out, have it neutered and then complain that it's lost it's aggressive edge." That just about sums it up really... :oops:

Sharkey

War Hero
My last comment on this, before Janner gives me a bollocking for going off thread, the Police do a difficult job but so do millions of others.
As for this unfortunate bloke, he was as far as I could see posing no threat to the Police and given his health issues it seems his death will be difficult to atribute to one specific thing.

My last comment on this, before Janner gives me a bollocking for going off thread,
Perhaps you'll take your bollocking from me instead then*

the Police do a difficult job but so do millions of others. Done to death here already

As for this unfortunate bloke, he was as far as I could see posing no threat to the Police and given his health issues it seems his death will be difficult to atribute to one specific thing.

For you, Sharkey perhaps. But but you are ignoring (or ignorant of?) this thread's title.

*INQUEST JURY VERDICT

<<...Ian Tomlinson was unlawfully killed by a Metropolitan Police officer at the G20 protests, an inquest jury has said...>>

&

<<...The jury decided Pc Harwood acted illegally, recklessly and dangerously, and used "excessive and unreasonable" force in striking Mr Tomlinson. Jurors added that the newspaper seller, who was not taking part in the protests, posed no threat...Pathologist Dr Freddy Patel told the inquest that Mr Tomlinson died of a heart attack but the jury favoured the evidence of a number of experts who said he died of internal bleeding...>>

As reported 3 May 2011 at BBC News - Ian Tomlinson unlawfully killed by Pc at G20 protests

Regardless of our various opinions of PC Harwood's subsequent trial, acquittal and the post trial revelations of his 'form', still to come are the result's of his disciplinaries (unless he resigns, again!) and the possibility of a civil trial, too. I repeat Fat Lady etc.

Oh, and if that really was " My last comment on this" all well and good - But remember that some RR'ers have a long memory and will hold you to that promise. 'Byeee.

Bob.