Ian Tomlinson (Inquest Jury Verdict)

sgtpepperband

War Hero
Book Reviewer
IMO this may well be one of the most difficult jobs in existence and it takes an exceptional human being to remain calm in the difficult situations they face far too often.

Policeman, "the most difficult job in existence" good one.

Sharkey, I'll gladly swap one week of my shifts with whatever it is you do for a living. I'd be surprised if you last one hour of a night in my patch. And I'll also lay money on you losing all your patience, moral compassion and well-meaning humanity to all as soon as you deal with the first drunk who offers you random acts of violence and questions your parentage, just because you had the audacity to offer him some advice and assistance. My comment in the "User's Avatars" thread was posted in jest in response to Frogman007, but it's very close to how most police officers feel they are treated by the public.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion, of course, but I would suggest you take the opportunity to experience what is like before you deem yourself fit to criticise (and I don't mean watching episodes of "The Bill" on satellite TV). Hence my offer of a swap for a few days. PM me if you fancy it.

Last edited:

Sharkey

War Hero
The blue boxes in posts 83, 84,85 87 and 89 seem to be atributed to the wrong person, if thats what has prompted your response SGPB, if not I dont know what has, I havent said anything about the work of the Police on this thread I have only questioned the "one of the most difficult jobs in the world" statement, I dont recall saying being a policeman is a piece of piss, if you could point out my critisism I'll maybe be able to explain

G

guestm

The blue boxes in posts 83, 84,85 87 and 89 seem to be atributed to the wrong person, if thats what has prompted your response SGPB, if not I dont know what has, I havent said anything about the work of the Police on this thread I have only questioned the "one of the most difficult jobs in the world" statement, I dont recall saying being a policeman is a piece of piss, if you could point out my critisism I'll maybe be able to explain

You messed it up with your chad quoting, but if this helps:

Policeman, "the most difficult job in existence" good one.

I re-iterate I never said it was, I said in my opinion it is one of and explained why.

You then went on a baseless rant about how sticking up for the police is sycophantic and arse licking or somesuch.

Blackrat

War Hero
Book Reviewer
As an aside, I think those that have never stood in a line behind shields, receiving bottles, bricks, spit, petrol bombs, wood, abuse and hate for a considerable period of time, cannot comment on how to correctly deal with a public order situation. I've only done that for NI training and i found it quite alarming. Bear in mind these were our muckers playing the Civpop. In these situations, the press only take photos after around two hours, when the Police have reacted after effectively taken a pounding. Hardly fair really.

That's my public order rant over.

Sharkey

War Hero
As an aside, I think those that have never stood in a line behind shields, receiving bottles, bricks, spit, petrol bombs, wood, abuse and hate for a considerable period of time, cannot comment on how to correctly deal with a public order situation. I've only done that for NI training and i found it quite alarming. Bear in mind these were our muckers playing the Civpop. In these situations, the press only take photos after around two hours, when the Police have reacted after effectively taken a pounding. Hardly fair really.

that's my public order rant over.

True, Soldier in Northern Ireland during the troubles, IMO one of the most difficult jobs in existance.

Latest Threads