Ian Curtis

Discussion in 'Films, Music, TV & All Things Artsy' started by Guzzler, May 19, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 4
  1. You forget that most of us are old gits. RIP.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yeah, but some are reeeeaaaally old and like stuff by Max Bygraves and the like :neutral:

3. AAF

AAF Badgeman

Atmosphere....for me was their best tune.

4. Great song Guzz!

5. Interesting times in Manchestor. I have a poster for an ep of Temptation,everythings gone green, mesh and hurt (written after curtis) on my wall at home I found in the offices of factory records after they had gone bust. Reminds me of heady days.

6. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

33 years!! Jeez Guzzler, that makes me feel really old!

7. I've heard that from a fair few people who saw them live.

Had Curtis not cashed his chips in, it's probable they'd have gone on to record a few more mediocre albums before eventually fading into obscurity, perhaps reforming and going on a nostalgia tour supporting Gary Numan or something.

Having said that Blue Monday must be the most played electro track of all time. Pretty much every single Ministry of Sound compilation has it splice in somewhere.

8. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Funny thing with New Order is that Blue Monday is one of their worst tracks (or certainly singles) IMO, True Faith and Touched by the Hand of God are excellent.

9. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Blue Monday was only released on 12", in 1983, but was remixed in '88. It remains the best-selling 12" record in UK Chart history but due to the the high production costs of the sleeves, the band lost money on each disc (plus, most other profits were invested in their Hacienda club, which was a moneypit for the band and Factory records). Subsequent re-releases in 1988 and 1995 recouped some of the profit due a change in the production materials, but New Order never became as affluent as they deserved.

10. Transmission, love will tear us apart, she's lost control and digital. 4 great songs but the rest were pap. Incidentally, I did my POLC brief on Factory records. Curtis and Hook weren't very nice people by all accounts.

I love Joy Division hipsters. If everybody that said they'd seen them actually had they'd have been doing arenas.

11. AAF

AAF Badgeman

The re-mix of She's lost control on Permanent album is pretty good, loads of electro echo on Curtis's voice.

12. sgtpepperband

Have you read Hooky's book "How Not To Run A Club"? Very well written, full of insightful anecdotes about the local Manc 'slebs' and faces. Given the amount of booze and drugs he took, his ability to recall as much information as he did is worthy of praise. It is a funny and honest account of the ups and downs (more downs than ups) of Factory and the Hacienda club, but Hooky is humble enough to recognise his arrogance, ego, faults and the flaws that allowed the club to die a death. If this was The Book Club, I'd be giving it "5 Anchors"... :thumbleft:

13. No but cheers. Ill give it a look.

14. My favourite track is "Decades", followed by "Dead Souls" but I do like "Transmission" as a single. Once bought Barney and Stephen a pint in the Hac (in the 90's).
    Not too sure what to make of the movie "Control", I think I liked "24hr party people" better despite its more trite treatment of Ian's life. I think Moby showed the best potential of what they could have done in the modern era with his rearranged version of "New Dawn Fades" used in "Heat".

• Like Like x 1
  15. sgtpepperband

Good call, that man! :salut: