I will be split from my partner and 2 year old for 5-8 months

Hi

Sorry been away but thanks for all teh good info I will ask about those burner phones I am suprised nobody has mentioned it before though.

I am also looking to record some videos and upload to Youtube but I am scared the quality wll be crap.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Hi
I am also looking to record some videos and upload to Youtube but I am scared the quality wll be crap.
Anybody have any suggestions?
All the main messenger apps (skype, FB messenger, Kik) allow you to record videos to send like a voicemail, the quality and compression depends largely on your phones camera and mic and you can select quality settings depending on available bandwidth, but they are all reasonable to a non pedant. She can download/save them to play/repeat for the nipper if that's what you are after. You can record a video on your phone, then share it via email or messaging later, look for the little share icon in most apps(example https://maxcdn.icons8.com/windows8/PNG/512/Very_Basic/share-512.png)
There's lots of sites that allow you to host videos, Id suggest instagram is worth a look. Video blogging (or vlogging as der yoof called it) takes time, which might suit you as it gives you something to do in off hours.

My wife used to say 'daddies away earning some pennies for you to have some toys and sweets'
Kept it simple in that respect until the kids could draw a picture of a ship (wind farm / nuclear power station / fish finger factory - whatever) and send it to me.

Thanks for that, but can I ask what happens when your kid first says mummy/daddy and you are not there?
This is the sacrifice you make to earn the coin. Either your bottom lip wobbles or you remind yourself that while it sucks the reward will be a house, nest egg, holidays and experiences you couldn't afford pushing trolleys at Lidl.

It's not me I'll cope.

I know this sounds stupid as you lot have been through it so much but I have this fear he will call daddy I won't be there and he will fall apart mentally and will not progress as much

It's not me I'll cope.

I know this sounds stupid as you lot have been through it so much but I have this fear he will call daddy I won't be there and he will fall apart mentally and will not progress as much
I hate to say it, but kids are resilient and will just accept the situation, the only one seeing it as a problem will probably be you. Yours is young enough not to realise your away and will accept it as the norm as he grows older.

I hate to say it, but kids are resilient and will just accept the situation, the only one seeing it as a problem will probably be you. Yours is young enough not to realise your away and will accept it as the norm as he grows older.
I'll back up Wrecker on that. My Father was a submariner up until after I joined and it didn't do me any harm. As Wrecker said, him being away was just what happened. I've raised two children myself and spent plenty of time at sea and it hasn't done them any harm, in fact my son has decided he wants to follow his Father & Grandfather into the submarine service.

My Dad was in the Merchant Navy and when I was a very young kid he was away 2 and 3 years at a time, in fact I hardly remember him being there at all, only his leave periods. By the time he'd become UK based and coming home more regularly, I'd joined up. In fact it wasn't until I'd been under the ice that he mentioned he'd been on the Russian convoys. Sadly I never go to discuss it more with him.

Thanks for all the info, I think my greatest worry is my son being used to me and then me..... well..... being gone.

I will be working in the middle of spain, others I have spoke with have said that the local town has a bit of wifi, the local libary is where there are some computers or a couple of bars and parks have wifi but the wifi is supposedly really bad and most don't even try to skype, I can call a couple of time per week but him not seeing me will be hard.
Kids are more resilient than you think and will accept your absence. As long as mum is supportive and doesn't let them rule her she'll be fine. I always used to leave with a big a big smile. God forbid but the last memory of you shouldn't be a weeping mess if something bad happens. Annoyed the wife but later, after leaving the service she saw the logic in it.
Be positive, time will pass and the home coming almost worth the parting. But, as someone has already said, you will be an interloper in the kids and wife's new routine and its you that will have to adapt then.
Mail, video, FaceTime any comms is good and these days you have more choice than in most of us old farts days!

As above kids adapt, when I came home once my son told me to get out of his mummy's bed, he had a photo of me in rig, when I showed up not looking like the photo, I obviously was not daddy?
My kids were of the mind, that they saw the crap separation brought and all decided the armed forces were not for them, maybe their mother got to them?

It didn't affect my 2 as far as I'm aware, although the youngest use to cry a lot the day I left.

The eldest ended up joining up himself so didn't worry him too much.

Both were more interested in what prezzies I'd bought them when I came home.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ballistic Diamond Lil's 8
A Diamond Lil's 39
trelawney126 Diamond Lil's 6