I was talking to my grandad earlier...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by _Tim_, Feb 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. And we were talking about my navy application and such. Then he said that RAF and army personnell can transfer to the RN but RN personnell can't transfer the other way.

Is that true or is it BS?
  2. We are the SENIOR Service - why would anyone want to intentionally lower their standards?
  3. Yep, we can go sideways to RM but not down :D .
  4. A CPO friend of mine left the FAA at 30 joined the Army (REME) rose to Major, retired and then joined the RAF, retiring as a Squdaron Leader, transfer is possible!
  5. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

At Boscombe Down in '04, the WO&SNCO Mess Pres was a crab-fat MACMN (WO1) on the Helicopter Test Squadron who was an ex-RN WAFU WO1. He'd transferred from RN to RAF simply because the crabs permitted him to retain flying status for longer (apparently zimmer frames will fit in crab cabs!). Transfer are obviously possible if you're prepared to prostitute yourself to one of the two junior services.
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Obviously "dopes on a rope" are positively encouraged to transfer, but generally RN/RM individuals physically leave the Senior Service prior to transferring.

Conversely the Senior Service have oodles of applicants from our more junior colleagues. Occasionally we accept them.
  7. Thankfully. :D
  8. I'm sure if John reads this he will be interested in your comments!!!! (Prostituting himself indeed). At least he still maintained a flying job. He is the ex RN WAFU WO1, who incidentally represents the RN each year at the Cenotaph on behalf of the ACA.
  9. FlagWagger

FlagWagger Book Reviewer

Ooops, missed the smiley! But, working on the maxim that "if you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined" having joined a service twice, he actually should be prepared for twice the banter of a single service person! :)

As a long-term visitor to the mess (I was living in as a civvy contractor rather than in a service capacity) I was, and still am, very grateful for the hospitality I received and spent a number of happy evening in the mess in his company demolishing the red wine stocks. At the mess dinner that year those of us in dark blue were singled out during the loyal toast - we stood in accordance with crab trradition and were fined for not upholding RN traditions, however, if we had remained seated we'd have been fined for not conforming to mess etiquette!

Agreed - flying appeared to be in his blood, and at BCE he was doing a real job that appealed to him rather than being stuck behind a dark-blue desk.
  10. Sounds like John. Anything to get a drink out of you.

The git used to do similar when he was a trapper in the mob.

(Trapper = Rotary Wing Standards Flight)

Nice to hear he's maintaining the RN's end at Boscombe Down. :lol: