I want to join the navy but im an army applicant!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by Connormcdonald, Dec 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hello, I have been in the application process to join the army for the past 6months and have my final test up in ADSC but the job I was going for isn't what it's made out to be. The job is an electrician in the royal signals and i have read many negative posts on it and this has made me think of joining the navy instead and I saw a job which I am very interested in which is an AET(air engineering technician). The only thing is i do not know what I should do about the army, will i need to cancel my application to proceed with the navy?

2. Welcome to Rum Ration, Connor.

When are you expecting to do your final test with the Army?

3. Thanks and the 16th of January

4. I would recommend speaking to the Royal Navy's Careers Advisors at your AFCO before broaching this with the Army. All the numbers for them are here:

Career Offices | Royal Navy

One thing you need to know is that there are waiting times for jobs in the Navy at the moment and switching to AET would mean a longish wait. You would also have to take the Navy's entrance test as your BARB result wouldn't count.

5. Thanks for the info.
    I would be more than happy to sit an entrance test And How long roughly are the waiting times?

6. OMM

OMM War Hero

Between 12-24 months wait

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Given that it's probably about 12+ months from test to entry and you may not necessarily pass the recruiting test for AET, I'd be inclined to submit the application to take the RN recruiting test and make your career decision upon receipt of the results, informing the Army or Navy which route you wish to pursue. That way you keep all options open.

Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  8. If you hurry you could get your application in for the RAF before Christmas.
    They hate being left out.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

The Royal Signals have the best and the worst of the Army. They hold the world record when it comes to whinging about their jobs, especially techs, electricians etc etc. Now those chaps who are combat trades don't whinge as much as they are nails.

All squaddies hate their jobs and will whinge until the cows come home. Don't listen and form your own opinion.