I want redundancy but branch not up for it.

Discussion in 'Finance & Pensions' started by frogman007, Mar 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As the title says really. Had enough now after 24 years and am ready to leave. The first literature says my branch is not to be affected by redundancy. However can I still apply for it on an individual basis? Any thoughts???
  2. As I understand things, if you're branch is not on the calling list in April then you are unable to apply.
  3. chieftiff

chieftiff War Hero Moderator

Oh well, you could always do what the rest of did when we realised we'd enough and put your notice in, your pension is in the bag and there's nothing but your ambition holding you back. If you aren't enjoying the job it's time to exit stage left and look for your next job, career, challenge, call it what you will, who knows it may even be better than the first!
  4. ......and free-off some space for those patiently/impatiently waiting their turn all along and down along the food chain.

What fine and noble act that would be, eh?
  5. So anyone got any answers? Surely after all these years I at least have the right and TRY for redundancy???
  6. Nope. At best you could try your Branch Manager, but no-one has a "right" to redundancy, especially as I presume your only motivation is financial....
  7. You never know - when the announcement is made in April, there may be a requirement to get rid of some of your trade at your level. But if there isn't, there certainly isn't a right to redundancy. If you want to go that much just put your notice in, you may even be able to negotiate an early release - there's a DIN about that.
  8. After 24 years in the mob I'd have the nous to go to the UPO and find out.
  9. Ha never once said I had the right I said I had the right to TRY for it. I would go the UPO bit on leave at the moment, just thought I would put the feelers out.
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

No harm in asking for redundacy.

If your branch is stopping 2OE (5) or 2OE(10) & you are on a 5 or ten year OE contract, then I'd guess a redundancy payment will be calculated by however long you've left to serve. It won't be much, even if your branch manager says yes, but it's better than a kick in the proverbials.

If however you joined at 16, haven't started or been offered 2OE & are just coming up to the end of your 22 "man's time" then your branch manager will probably just say "do one".

Best o' luck.
  11. Cheers NS best answer so far.On 2OE 10 now. Either way I was only looking into it, can only ask. Like you say better than a kick in the proverbials. ATG what other incentive is there apart from financial, would you do it for the greater good? Typical asnwer from you I guess!
  12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

You CAN ask, but at the moment as I understand it all of the Requirements/Career Manager effort is being spent identifying people in branchs/categories that are deemed eligible for redundancy on current planning terms. Thereafter if we've not met our quota I suspect they wil have to cast the net wider so lodging an interest cannot hurt.

Looking across the board at what passes my desk, the voluntary uptake rates for both civilian and military are looking to be lower than predicted (because generally life is getting harder outside too), so there may be call for additional volunteers.
  13. chieftiff

Do you mean the predicted rates are lower than expected or the rates are lower than predicted? Surely nobody has even applied yet so the actual application rates are still unknown? OR have there been sneaky redundancy rounds that none of us know about?

Every single matelot that I know (who has expressed a preference and all are FAA) has told me they will apply, seriously!
  14. Hey Frogman...check with the lads who are outside, if you are looking at continuing diving / supervising, then be careful, it's been very quiet for about the last 18 months, I know a few Sat divers and even Sat supervisors who are chasing LST jobs cos there feck all about.
    Probably not the best time to come outside..
  15. ".......there's a Luverly Moon out there......"

YouTube - Mike Sarne - Wendy Richard....Come Outside

NB Wendy (Eastenders) Richards. RIP

Ultra sorry for the diversion - I just couldn't resist; must have been another 'Senior Moment' :oops:
  16. Hey up Spider, no staying clear of SAT mate. Can't justify the £18,000 places like fort Bill are asking. Also a lot of lads of my generation left a few years ago and are saying the same as you. EOD if anything, had quite a few offers of work, but the long term is property. Disillusioned with the brach, you wouldn't recognise it now. Plus if you put your notice in the take all dive pay of us with immedite effect! Winner.

Intrested in what you're saying wave dodger, so maybe it could be worth looking into??
  17. wave_dodger

I'm not in a dark blue job at the moment (purple) and whilst your correct, you can't apply yet, [actually VERs for civilians is now open], we've used the line manager, team sessions, Divisional system to get some idea of the likely uptake because we know how many people we have to lose to meet efficiency targets.

I do know that a lot of the feedback suggests people (civilian) are wavering as the external market is pretty difficult (generally speaking) and those who are definate about leaving seem to be those who probably would have gone soon anyway (nominally by age). The military are harder to divine, there is a lot of disquiet and concern but those that I know of who have looked at jobs outside see companies in the same position as we are.
  18. chieftiff

It's true that the job market isn't as buoyant as it once was, but actually there are a lot of good jobs around at the moment for those looking to a technical, professional or managerial role, but the competition in terms of numbers is steep. An immediate pension would certainly help to alleviate any worries about getting the right job at the right time and I suspect you will get most of your volunteers from those in that position.

Please make my wife redundant though as we are sure we can cope, with no aircraft and less than 3 years to go she is rdp anyway........
  19. wave_dodger

I am in the IT and Comms sector and its very true that whilst there are jobs out there the competition is incredibly fearsome and getting worse as commercial companies offload people. I don't have too much exposure to other sectors but I would imagine they are similar. Our people tend to have some advantages though, their general experience, training and self confidence - all helps when it comes to being chosen.

My wife is in the NHS, I'm mildy optimistic we will have news about her soon; I'm praying she gets redundancy, their working environment is way worse than ours.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011